It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunt for alien spacecraft begins, as planet-spotting scientist Geoff Marcy gets funding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Geoff Marcy talks about a project that will be looking for "Giant Space ships", sort of like, Ring world etc..
He mentions that a star being observed, winks out, later winks back on!

Hey what's up with that! It might be a "super alien space ship world kind of thing"!

Any who, read more from this new article.

July 24, 2013 - 10:41AM

In the field of planet hunting, Geoff Marcy is a star. After all, the astronomer at the University of California at Berkeley found nearly three-quarters of the first 100 planets discovered outside our solar system. But with the hobbled planet-hunting Kepler telescope having just about reached the end of its useful life and reams of data from the mission still left uninvestigated, Marcy began looking in June for more than just new planets. He's sifting through the data to find alien spacecraft passing in front of distant stars.

He's not kidding - and now he has the funding to do it.

"I do know that if I saw a star that winked out, then at some point it winked back on again, then winked out for a long, long time and then blinked on again, that that would be so weird," he says. "Obviously that wouldn't constitute the detection of an advanced civilisation yet, but it would at least alert us that follow-up observations are warranted."

If Dyson spheres pop up in the data, Marcy thinks they would more likely appear as a patchwork of solar panels rather than a solid sphere. Perhaps the dimming of a star would be erratic or quasi-periodic, unlike the regular transit of planets.

Galactic laser internet

Galactic laser internet

The rest of the $200,000 grant is buying Marcy time on the Keck Observatory in Hawaii, the largest telescope in the world, to search for - what else? - a galactic laser internet.

This shift to new ways for finding E.T. is in part due to the failure of traditional SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) to pick up radio signals from deep space. Federal funding for SETI projects ended in 1995, but private benefactors have stepped up to support the search for alien radio transmissions, including Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who has sunk more than $US30 million into a giant radio telescope array now under construction northeast of San Francisco.

Read more: www.smh.com.au... zz2a0qg8FiG

More ring world hunting here www.smh.com.au... 2qibc.html

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
We assume aliens would be roughly the same size as us?

What if they were miniature and their whole civilization could fit in a craft the size of a Volkswagen?

We'd never find them, but they could find us. That said, the balance tips the other way.
Moon sized Space stations..
No obi wan quotes plz.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I think the universe is like Eve online. Aliens do stuff for profit and the have recreational time. he may discover a flying hotel resort.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
he only needs to look in our solar system at some of the moons like luptus to see weird worlds .

phobos & demos would be another one to turn his attention on

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
he only needs to look in our solar system at some of the moons like luptus to see weird worlds

Not looking for alien worlds but rather alien craft that move in front of stars.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

he only needs to look in our solar system at some of the moons like luptus to see weird worlds

Not looking for alien worlds but rather alien craft that move in front of stars.

I knew somebody here could read!!

Yeah, that's the ticket! He has the "funding" and is very serious about this (read the article I linked too folks) he has already found exo-planets.. maybe he'll find "Ring Worlds" !!!
edit on 24-7-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

but what if what we think of as a world is a spaceship luptus is only 930 miles in diameter and the moons of mars are only a few miles across and thought to be hollow .

richard hoaglands site explains it better than i can

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
we,r looking for life elsewhere in radio waves and thats it,as i,ve read if they don,t send radio waves then we,r finding nothing.

typical humans if they don,t do it our way then theres nothing there,cause every things based on our theorys and our theorys alone,why ?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

but what if what we think of as a world is a spaceship luptus is only 930 miles in diameter and the moons of mars are only a few miles across and thought to be hollow .

richard hoaglands site explains it better than i can

That's ok. I know what your talking about. I saw all that (and heard on C2C show) all Richard's theories on Luptus.

The thing is the "funding" is for other "star systems" and what might be going around "those stars", the money must be used for that.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
we,r looking for life elsewhere in radio waves and thats it,as i,ve read if they don,t send radio waves then we,r finding nothing.

typical humans if they don,t do it our way then theres nothing there,cause every things based on our theorys and our theorys alone,why ?

Using electromagnetic energy to communicate isn't a theory. It's a fact. If it wasn't, your radio, television, cell phone and many things would not work.

Fact is, it's quite possible that their are alien civilizations out there that use electromagnetic energy as we do.

Let's say there's a alien race that discovered how to use radio waves over 400 years ago. That means their radio waves have traveled up to 400 light years away! That is great compared to the 90 to 100 light years that ours have traveled.

But wait! Their star is 1,600 light years away. Even if we listed in their direction, it will be another 1,200 years before their first radio waves get here!

Just because we've not heard anything yet, doesn't mean it's not out there, or that we're doing it wrong. There are a LOT of stars out their, and many reasons why we may or may not pick something up.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wish him the best of luck! I love seeing scientists try new ideas!

The Galactic laser Internet is a fascinating idea,

Also, the end of the article got a chuckle out of me. Good stuff! S&F

"The first thing we do is transmit a message to them that says, 'We taste bad.' "

top topics

join