It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Honest Cop Under Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Preface:
First, I hope I selected the correct forum for the following story. (ATS Mods: please feel free to relocate as needed.)
Second, I address this as someone closely connected to the story due to geographic location... so, in a nutshell, this is personal. This is my hometown.

Auburn is self-anointed as 'The Loveliest Village on the Plains'. It is also home to Auburn University. I have lived in the general area since the early 1980s, finally moving here directly in 2010.
Auburn (and sister city, Opelika) are indeed quite fair little towns located along I-85 between Atlanta, Georgia and Montgomery, Alabama. The pace of life is acceptable while things like unemployment and crime are well below national averages.

Onward...

The following arrived by email from my daughter. To date, the local media... TV and print, have not touched it. (Big surprise)

The story is of a local Auburn police officer who was instructed to meet certain 'quotas' when handing out traffic citations as well as perhaps... over-enforcing other laws. The video includes sound bytes from his superiors giving him such instructions. It also includes the history of a new police chief who, since his arrival, has caused a serious collapse of morale.

Oh... and then the guy that was arrested walking down the street...

The video is very enlightening.

(Note for future reference: I have a personal copy of this video. Should it be taken down, I will be more than happy to repost.)

Here we have a good cop who would not bend... would not be a revenue collector or some new age version of Big Brother.

Officer Hanners has a large and growing support base at FaceBook... and I respectfully request that anyone who feels that this man deserves more than being dismissed from the APD for his honesty (and whistleblowing) to go and tag the Book on his behalf...

EDIT:
I was unaware there was any effort whatsoever for the purpose of fundraising... and to be honest, still haven't seen it yet myself. But I am no big facebook fan and spend little time there aside for things like this. My apologies to ATS for any ToC violations and anyone else who disapproved.

To locate the support page for Officer Hanners, please look up:
"Citizens Behind Officer Justin Hanners" at Facebook

-Redoubt

Thanks

edit on 24-7-2013 by redoubt because: EDIT per request

edit on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:45:02 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: typo by request

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
He said people should

Hold elected officials accountable
That's the way to go.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
he sounds like a good cop and person..too bad thats not what the police are looking for these days, he will likley be let go base on some made up/subjective performance evaluation

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonclod
he sounds like a good cop and person..too bad thats not what the police are looking for these days, he will likley be let go base on some made up/subjective performance evaluation

Have been pestering the local TV stations to mention this on the evening news... so far, no replies

Thanks for the reply

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

You're right... we need more like him. Badly.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Preface:
Here we have a good cop

Not enough evidence to support the existence of a such thing.

Power corrupts, absolute power... etc etc.

Not buying into this one.
edit on 24-7-2013 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LionOfGOD

Preface:
Here we have a good cop

Not enough evidence to support the existence of a such thing.

Power corrupts, absolute power... etc etc.

NOT. BUYING. THIS:

That's your choice, of course... and your right.

On the flip, I live here. It's closer, more real... it's not a matter of buying anything. It's a matter of paying, lol...

Thanks

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

You know, if it's anything like my area. Once you put your face out there. the DA sends his minions after you toot-sweet.
Not to arrest you, just to make you nervous, to irritate. So it's highly possible the local media are just a bunch of scaredy cats. Our town lost a very important media leader due to this kind of thing.
edit on 24-7-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
reply to post by redoubt

You know, if it's anything like my area. Once you put your face out there. the DA sends his minions after you toot-sweet.
Not to arrest you, just to make you nervous, to irritate. So it's highly possible the local media are just a bunch of scaredy cats. Our town lost a very important media leader due to this kind of thing.
edit on 24-7-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

It's a small town... aside from the university, just a typical little burg. It even crossed my mind that writing this post could, conceivably, lead to having to watch my own rear view mirror. There's no such thing as anonymity anymore anyway... anywhere.

Nevertheless... this guy stood up for things I believe in... he was a cop who had a lot to lose... and did.

In my ever so humble opinion... that's worth the effort

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I live in Auburn, also. Friends and I have received a lot of frivolous tickets over the last couple of years. I got a ticket for going 48 in a 45 last year. A friend of mine got a ticket for "driving in the wrong lane." He was in a TURN LANE.
The list goes on.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombanjo
I live in Auburn, also. Friends and I have received a lot of frivolous tickets over the last couple of years. I got a ticket for going 48 in a 45 last year. A friend of mine got a ticket for "driving in the wrong lane." He was in a TURN LANE.
The list goes on.

Then you know about the sudden 25 MPH zone on Samford coming up to University and all their little hiding places...

Yeah... the new police chief has turned our town into a speed trap. This cop didn't want any part of it... wich we had more like him

Thanks for the reply, neighbor!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Here we have a good cop who would not bend... would not be a revenue collector or some new age version of Big Brother.

Officer Hanners has a large and growing support base at FaceBook... and I respectfully request that anyone who feels that this man deserves more than being dismissed from the APD for his honesty (and whistleblowing) to go and tag the Book on his behalf...

Justice for Hanners

This policeman sounds like he's got some serious integrity. I'd like to make a small donation but I don't do facebook. Period. Not now, not ever.

Is there an alternate method of making a donation?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

This policeman sounds like he's got some serious integrity. I'd like to make a small donation but I don't do facebook. Period. Not now, not ever. Is there an alternate method of making a donation?

Not connected to any $$ donations... just support by way of running my mouth and annoying the local media!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This thread on the subject was before mine...

Cop Fired for Speaking Out...

See yall there

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

This thread on the subject was before mine...

Cop Fired for Speaking Out...

See yall there

That being said....thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join