I too have been researching and following this Roswell account for almost 30 years now. There are more twists, turns, and direction changes in this
story (some from 1st hand witnesses) than a mountain road. This is unfortunate. However, my personal theory is it unfolded in this manner:
- Mac Brazel read in a local newspaper (or friends of his) of a reward out for pieces of a flying disk. These flying disks were the talk of the time
following the original sighting over Mount Rainier by pilot Kenneth Arnold.
- Mac Brazel, hearing this, conveys the story of the odd debris he discovered on the ranch he was working in July 1947
- Mac goes out and collects some of the debris, and brings it into Roswell to report a downed flying disk, looking for the reward. Now, this does NOT
prove they were parts of a disk at all, only that it was claimed to be by Brazel.
- The RAAF base's Walter Haut is brought in to the case, along with Maj Jesse Marcel, to investigate.
- The two confirm that debris did indeed exist on the ranch as claimed. They (also hearing the exciting flying disk story) ASSUME that these are
indeed pieces of a flying disk. As the military work in a compartmentalized fashion, they were not in a need-to-know position on Project Mogul. Since
the Mogul balloon trains were not the typical weather balloons they were trained to spot and were familiar with (much larger balloon trains, advanced
"electronics" packages, etc...) on a daily basis. So to them it was clearly NOT a weather balloon.....adding credence to the Brazel claim of it being
a flying disk.
- Marcel, on his way back from the site late-night/early-morning brings some of the debris home, and shows it to his family. He claims it is the
remains of a crashed flying disk, and is alien in origin (who of us would not do the same given the circumstances). Jesse Jr handles the pieces, and
keeps a small I-beam (which is later taken back by his father and the family sworn to secrecy).
- Haut reports back to base, and informs his superior, Col Blanchard (who has been "read into" the Project Mogul info). Haut enforces the idea this is
a crashed flying disk, and presents a press report to Blanchard. Blanchard agrees to go with the release, knowing it will be a good cover story for
the existence of Project Mogul.
- The press release goes public, and spreads further than expected by Blanchard. TPTB in D.C. hear of the story, and order the debris to be sent to
Wright Field for thorough investigation. Blanchard and the others are now committed to the story of a crashed flying disk. Any retraction by them at
this point would be career suicide.
- The debris is sent to Gen Ramey's office, where it is confirmed as Mogul debris, but, the cover story of a flying disk is too hot and publicly
arousing than needed. So, it is called a simple weather balloon (which is the 2nd cover story, and clearly untrue given that Haut and Marcel would
have known that). Marcel is now the lone fall-guy for this story since he is an honest person, and Haut tows the military line and completely retracts
his involvement, leaving Marcel standing alone.
- This haunts Marcell for over 30 years, and, before he dies he wants to go public and this is where Stanton Friedman enters the picture. After this,
and seeing folks involved making $$, the "first-hand witnesses" come out of the woodwork.
- As more stories are released, the media being the media, wants more and more exciting stories to perpetuate the sales of the books, videos, movies,
etc... So, the stories become more outrageous, more sites are "discovered"m none of which can be actually confirmed with physical evidence, since it
has been decades. Think about your home town, and how it looked 30+ years ago....is it all the exact same, or has it changed numerous times in
numerous ways....it is not the same anymore.
edit on 25-7-2013 by Krakatoa because: Added clarification
edit on 25-7-2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other