It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will ATS own my intellectual property if i post it for discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
i have been wanting to discuss something physics related for some time pertaining to a theory that i have been working on for years, but i don't want to post it if my ideas will be deemed the property of ATS.

a simple "we will not claim ownership over a certain physics theory posted by bob sholtz in a certain thread" would make me less reluctant.

we are all rational people here, and i do not wish to hide my ideas for fear of their being claimed by ATS. again, this only applies to a singular topic which i have not posted yet.

i can understand if this cannot happen, but i thought i would get the official scoop first.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You still own the rights to anything you post on ATS.

But so does ATS.

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

We aren't out to steal people's work though.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In our Terms & Conditions we state the following:

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License.

In short, this means what you post is still yours, you let us use it.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Bob, US copyright and patent laws do not extend to things as abstract as theories of physics. ATS would only have the rights to republish the specific expression of those ideas, including any words or pictures posted here to illustrate that theory. You can have a copyright on a physics textbook, but you can't have a copyright on something like 'newtonian mechanics' or 'the law of gravity';.

Once you post an abstract theory online, anybody who reads and understands it can create new, copyrightable works on the basis of said theory.

Not a lawyer, just my best understanding of the law as it is.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In our Terms & Conditions we state the following:

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License.

In short, this means what you post is still yours, you let us use it.

I've been pondering this as well. I believe that I may have even asked about it...can't find that post though.

Would a short story that turned into a published novel or even a screen play fall into this catagory? And would the respective lawyers have to hash things out? Just curious...I don't mind sharing.

What happens if some hollywood screen writer reads ATS and rips off the author? By my understanding of the T&C, the author would be screwed. Do I have that correct?
edit on 24-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Forgot a line again

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DrEugeneFixer

i was intending to get my theory officially notarized to have evidence that i developed the theory at "x" date.

my fear is that i would post my theory here only to have another take the credit.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Maybe you could post your paper on some place like arXiv first. Then post a thread here and refer to the arXiv link.

What typically happens is legitimate scientists reference each other's work, so they might cite your arXiv paper and incorporate your ideas into their ideas, but you should be listed as a referenced source. Just look at all the references in any scientific paper...most refer to the work of others in some fashion.
edit on 24-7-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

The above being said... if you do make a post on ATS you cannot copy and paste that post exactly to another forum. It's against the ATS rules - even if you give the thread URL for a source. You would have to re-write the whole post from scratch.. Keep this in mind because I got in trouble for this once.. was shocked too.

Don't understand why this is and i never got a good answer for it. So , no.. you dont Really have full rights to your own IP if posted on ATS.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The above being said... if you do make a post on ATS you cannot copy and paste that post exactly to another forum. It's against the ATS rules - even if you give the thread URL for a source. You would have to re-write the whole post from scratch.. Keep this in mind because I got in trouble for this once.. was shocked too.

This is untrue.

You may take ANY and ALL content you've personally posted on ATS and post it to any other medium on the internet.

So long as you link back to ATS, since it was the originating source.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

essentially i have been working on a real solution to the EPR paradox, and my theory has enough behind it such that it is time to bounce it off others. perhaps this is not the place.

i suppose i can understand, but it is sad because of the obscure nature of theoretical physics. most don't know anything about it other than popular science articles.

to everyone: thank you for your candor and swift responses.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Now that I think about it.. perhaps I had it backwards.. It may have been I wrote the post for another forum then transferred that post to here.. could that be it??

If so, Bob still needs to know.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You may take ANY and ALL content you've personally posted on ATS and post it to any other medium on the internet.

Just curious....how does that work if you post something on another site before you post it to ATS?....ie: ATS isn't the originating source?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Just curious....how does that work if you post something on another site before you post it to ATS?....ie: ATS isn't the originating source?

Reread rule 17. If you state you are the post owner on the other site - ta-da, ATS can now use it as they see fit. If it conflicts with that sites T&C, your post may get modderized. If you copy and paste the entire thing - ta-da, your post can/will get modderized.

ATS, just like most forum sites, have the power to use what you post in any fashion they like. This also includes their 3rd party peoples.

There is a reason why the news section requires you to link your source in a certain matter. If you have something that another person had published, you must link it in a certain way - as to not take credit for their work and to let TAN know you are not the owner. You cannot copy and paste the entire thing either - if you do, your copy and pasted info will get Modderized. These provisions are in place so TAN knows who owns what.

Side Note: Read Facebook's T&C and privacy stuff - anything you post on the net is very likely co-owned by another group.

note: I do not speak for ATS (TAN). Just bored at work.
edit on 24-7-2013 by ChuckNasty because: typo

Edit - The answer is Yes to the OP's topic question .
edit on 24-7-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Would this site help you? A lot of self funded and independent researchers publish their papers there:
www.academia.edu...

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It may have been I wrote the post for another forum then transferred that post to here.. could that be it??

The T&C covers cross posting.

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.

Effectively without permission from admin or owners, we don't usually allow quoting from other discussion boards.

reply to post by Argyll

The content would be subject to that site's Terms & Condition. Depending on their rules, you may not own that content at all. If you do still own it and receive permission to post it here on ATS, than you just link back to that website as it's the original source. ATS can't just take ownership from content posted to other websites first.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

join