It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas

reason.com

“When I first heard about the quotas I was appalled,” says former Auburn police officer Justin Hanners, who claims he and other cops were given directives to hassle, ticket, or arrest specific numbers of residents per shift. “I got into law enforcement to serve and protect, not be a bully.”

Former Reason staffer Radley Balko, now an investigative reporter for the Huffington Post and author of the new book, Rise of the Warrior Cop, says that this isn’t just a nuisance, it infringes on public safety.

“You have a policy that encourages police to create petty crimes and ignore s
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Good for this guy for standing up. I hope he gets his job back, unfortunately, the Chief has since retired. Can his feet still be held to the fire?

I have a lot of respect for LEOs that do their public duty in a honorable manner. But being basically a revenuer for the town/city is not honorable.

reason.com
edit on 24-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling and Fat Paws.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
You know what's really scary? This happens in every city across the entire country on a daily basis from your average beat cop all the way up to the DoJ and the IRS.

Say anything about it and you get labeled a conspiracy theorist.

Every single day, in every single city. It's not science fiction, it's science fact.

edit on 24-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
“I got into law enforcement to serve and protect, not be a bully.”

Rise of the Warrior Cop, says that this isn’t just a nuisance, it infringes on public safety.

“You have a policy that encourages police to create petty crimes and ignore s

Kudos to this guy.
He know's who the police are supposed to serve. The American Citizen and not the small elite that create polices to rob from us, create policies to take our freedoms and terrorize the general population.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Whistle blowers are always fired and then blacklisted. As much as I respect what this cop did, as in reveal the truth about the LEO quota system, he will never be a cop again, not even a rent-a-cop for a junkyard. He'll be lucky to flip burgers at Mickey D's because no business will hire a whistle blower.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
Whistle blowers are always fired and then blacklisted. As much as I respect what this cop did, as in reveal the truth about the LEO quota system, he will never be a cop again, not even a rent-a-cop for a junkyard. He'll be lucky to flip burgers at Mickey D's because no business will hire a whistle blower.

I don't know about that. There are still good people who hire others with a sense of honor and ethics. Sometimes, there are even towns looking for a few good people to police the streets, though he may have to move.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Say anything about it and you get labeled a conspiracy theorist.

Every single day, in every single city. It's not science fiction, it's science fact.

edit on 24-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

My favorite part is when they call you a nut for believing there are quotas while they excuse the action as "performance benchmarks."

So there are no such things as quotas but they expect their officers to write so many tickets, make so many stops and bring so many people in every month. But those arent quotas.

And people buy it. Lord knows how or why but they buy it.

The CT state police and several city departments have all gone on record saying this very thing. As well as departments in NY, CA, MA, NJ and I'm sure plenty of others.

They arent quotas. They're performance benchmarks.
The other terms are "performance goals" and "performance objectives."
edit on 24-7-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's just another despicable way cities and states can increase their revenues. People are taxed enough, yet the city and state will continue to drain as much money as they can by any means possible.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
And the worst part about these practices in law enforcement is that the city administrators and politicians actually BUDGET increases in arrest fees (warrants for other jurisdictions), traffic tickets and code violations thus guaranteeing abuses of the public safety. It's amazing that bureaucrats can predict a rise in crime related revenues and then put the police department's "feet to the fire" to ramp up revenues. Disgusting, but that's why we see cops around every corner or every few miles on the freeway generating revenue.

I've spent quite a bit of time in several other countries and except for London NOWHERE has as many visible cops as the USA. And yes it IS possible to get a speeding ticket on the Autobahn in Germany, but you don't see any cops generating revenue giving tickets - unless there's been an accident or other definite safety hazard.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What a shame that this man was fired, and apparently his story is nothing new. It never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to do for money. The Country is broke, States and cities are broke, and outright extortion seems to be widely accepted as a solution....Dear God....

Then we have to go and face some corrupt judge with no intention to actually review the case in a fair and legal manner because hey, pays their salary too. My Dad got some bogus ticket by a traffic camera....my sister looked up the video and he was clearly not wrong, the video couldn't interpret that traffic had to be re-directed to avoid a construction sight, we went to court armed with photos and his explanation and the judge didn't care, almost $300 for a traffic ticket, really?

Then if you don't pay or can't pay those tickets you'll be taken to jail when you eventually get stopped for some nonsense to fill quota's, or some unconstitutional check point and these cops will actually lecture you that YOU didn't do the right thing and pay their salaries, opps, I mean fines.....disgusting so many people are willing to be the bill collectors for "mob" opps I mean government.....

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ahhhh nothing like the feeling of being a source of revenue for the mafia....

Oh sorry I meant the police.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

If it's okay with you, would like to merge my OP/thread on this subject with yours. You got here just under an hour ahead of me so... it's yours by all rights.

On a sidenote, Auburn is my hometown so... I'd like to see this subject get attention.

Honest Cop Under Attack

Thanks

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
i saw a decked out police cruiser the other day, and on the back it had a sticker saying "no taxes paid for this vehicle, all funds came from tickets, repossessions, etc". like there's a difference.

recently in florida the traffic lights were shortened so that it would cause more people to run the light. they calculated it would increase run red lights by 50%, and therefore boost tickets like crazy. no thought for the safety of drivers who end up running the red light because the time to stop has been shortened so much.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

No problem...search doesn't always pan out, ya know? As long as the subject points out that all people, LEOs, Soldiers, etc, etc are not all bad and people keep a open mind...I'm cool.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i saw a decked out police cruiser the other day, and on the back it had a sticker saying "no taxes paid for this vehicle, all funds came from tickets, repossessions, etc". like there's a difference.

recently in florida the traffic lights were shortened so that it would cause more people to run the light. they calculated it would increase run red lights by 50%, and therefore boost tickets like crazy. no thought for the safety of drivers who end up running the red light because the time to stop has been shortened so much.

I believe that they have done that here in the Cleveland area as well. Yellow lights might as well be strobe lights nowadays.

I'll say one thing though...it keeps you on your toes...as long as those toes are on the brake pedal. SCCRRRREEEEETCH!

edit on 25-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This is one cop I have no issue with my taxes going toward to pay his salary.....

This is what a cop is SUPPOSED to do....Protect and serve, not "arrest for quotas"......

This department needs to be under investigation and all superior officers need fired NOW!!!

Too bad this isn't more common everywhere!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

This is one cop I have no issue with my taxes going toward to pay his salary.....

This is what a cop is SUPPOSED to do....Protect and serve, not "arrest for quotas"......

This department needs to be under investigation and all superior officers need fired NOW!!!

Too bad this isn't more common everywhere!!!

I've known a quite a few LEOs in my time, and to a tee, they all originally joined to "Protect and Serve."

But there were also the adreniline junkies.
(Cops, Firefighters, EMTs, Soldiers etc, you get the point)

And most have told me that over time, they do become jaded. Dealing day in and day out with &#!*. I would say it does cause burn out at some point.

But I've also noticed that the more balanced of the LEOs I know have also moved to other precincts or towns when this happens. At least they recognized that they were not that effective anymore and changed their enviroment.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just more signs of corruption.

The cities pay themselves high salaries and then go looking for ways to make up the financial shortcomings..."we need more revenue incoming...write more tickets".

I noticed it where I live. I live about 8 miles outside of town. You have to take a 4 lane state highway and then turn off. It's about 3 miles down that road to where you turn into the development.

I see soo many cops on the 4 lane and on our rinky dinky road...I mean lots...and this IS NOT a crime area...it's a sort of rural neighborhood where most people know each other...but you see folks getting tickets quite often in these clever little speed traps they have set up. There are 3 places the speed limit changes and there is nearly always a cop sitting just out of sight of the sign...

Winchester Virginia is not a high crime city but there are the "not so nice" areas...and I ask myself...why are the cops out here and not down where the crime is...the answer...no money to be made there. Even if they make arrests, those arrests are just going to be burdens to the system and drain revenue...they want to generate revenue from the hard working folks...
edit on 7/25/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

man thats harrassment, and oppression.
72000 contacts per year? Per cop? man my hometown only has 100k people in it!
do some math on like 5 cops, or ten.

edit on 25-7-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

My town only has 7000 people In it.

Filthy cops filthy town. Its where dreams go to die.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join