It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student experiment shows plants won't grow near Wi-Fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
A group of students in Denmark became disturbed when they discovered their concentration seemed to be disrupted after sleeping near their cell phones. They sought to do an experiment to measure the effects on their brains but, their school lacked the equipment to conduct the experiment so they decided to see how plants would fare in a Wi-Fi environment.

Student Science Experiment Finds Plants Won’t Grow Near Wi-fi Router

The students placed six trays filled with Lepidium sativum, a type of garden cress, into a room without radiation, and six trays of the seeds into another room next to two routers that according to the girls’ calculations, emitted about the same type of radiation as an ordinary cellphone.

Over the next 12 days, the girls observed, measured, weighed and photographed their results. By the end of the experiment the results were blatantly obvious — the cress seeds placed near the router had not grown. Many of them were completely dead. Meanwhile, the cress seeds planted in the other room, away from the routers, thrived.

The experiment earned the girls (pictured below) top honors in a regional science competition and the interest of scientists around the world.

Waldorf Today

Here's the unexposed plants.

Here's the ones they tried to grow near the Wi-Fi router.

Just a SLIGHT difference.

It makes you wonder what all this radiation flying through the air is doing to us. Its a shame they didn't have the equipment to perform their original experiment. Still, you have to wonder how far this effect reaches from the router and how it affects other plants.

Gardeners beware.

ETA: related thread: Wireless internet makes trees sick.

edit on 7/24/13 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This posted 2 months back www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mobile phones and wifi run at different frequencies.

IEEE 802.11/WiFi (routers)
A - 5 GHz
B - 2.4 GHz
G - 2.4 GHz
N - 2.4 GHz & 5.0 GHz

Microwave ovens - 2.4 GHz
Bluetooth - 2.4 GHz
Some Cordless phones - 2.4 GHz
Some radio controlled toys - 2.4 GHz

But mobile phones :
GSM cell phone: 900 MHz, 1.8 GHz
3G cell phone: 1.7 GHz, 2.1 GHz

All this experiment has proven is that microwaves heat up water which we already knew. Routers are not running at the same frequencies as mobile phones so the conclusions reached in the experiment based on data collected using routers is false. Lets see them do the same experiment in frequencies under the 2.4 GHz band before they start blaming mobile phones for anything.
edit on 24-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Very interesting. IT really does make you wonder though, how safe is the common technology we have around us?

I was asking this same question a few days ago and found this great video that gives you a feeling for how WiFi transmissions work.

The acoustimeter translates the WiFi transmission into sound, allowing us to hear the signals it sends. The constant chirping is the beacon signal, and the intermittent noise is the actual data. That beacon is constant... It's amazing...

Thanks for the topic, it's definitely something I've been interested in!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

As usual, the ATS search failed me. It only turned up the older thread I linked in the OP.

Mods, do your thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I have 2 house plants that I sat on a table by my living room window to get some sun- both near my wireless modem. One plant shriveled up and died withing 3 days and the other started growing like crazy. I wonder if the student's experiment might have different results from a different kind of plant?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ya know we ALL have routers. We can easily duplicate this experiment en mass and post results. I'd like to see that.

Er.. i'd happily do it but I have no plants due to the fact that my cat eats them LOL.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

F&S for the OP! Good find!

We'll have to attempt to duplicate this experiment for my grandson's science project this year.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The conditions in the two rooms were identical? Same temperature and humidity? Same light levels? The only difference was the routers?

Top honors for an experiment with virtually no control? What ever that school is teaching, it isn't science.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If paper-thin old-arse windows provide protection, then all the plants on the other side of my living room window from our wireless modem are blessed.

Otherwise, the study is easily BS, because my several different plant species are doing just fine feet from the modem (including an accidentally sprouted palm I don't have the heart to remove yet)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I don't have any doubt that wifi has negative effects on living things. However, in my living room I have a huge, thriving Lilikoi plant that I grew from seed and a lovely, ever blooming Anthurium. They both sit right next to my router and are very healthy and have been so for well over a year.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This is REALLY neat, and also worries me because I sleep right next to my phone every night. I think I may actually try this experiment, in a controlled environment of course... possibly try a couple different plant species to see if the results do vary.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It's a good thing we aren't plants then.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
It's a good thing we aren't plants then.

You might want to take a look at this short video from another thread here on ATS where those same WiFi signals are said to have effects on us as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
NOOOOOOOO !!! shut down all cell towers and wifi spots NOW save me save me.
Funny people posting how bad wifi and cell phones rae and are using that very thing to talk about it .
Through away your computers now befor its to late

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
ive been a computer addict since i was a teenager, i started balding as a teenager, holy crap, the wifi gone made me bald!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The conditions in the two rooms were identical? Same temperature and humidity? Same light levels? The only difference was the routers?

Top honors for an experiment with virtually no control? What ever that school is teaching, it isn't science.
You sure do have an "all is well" perspective, regarding science. A wee bit distorted. Apparently, you know nothing about microwaves, other than what the text books have taught you.

Harmful Efx of Microwaves

Weakened immune systems
Lowered resistance to bacterial and viral infections
Cataracts
Birth defects
Cancer
Many other serious illnesses

What do microwaves do to food?

In a microwave oven, alternating current forces atoms reverse polarity at a startlingly high rate. This creates such violent friction that the water inside the food molecules begin to vibrate and heat up. Unfortunately, this action also deforms, impairs and tears molecules apart.

Microwave Link

The maturity of radio frequency (RF) technology has permitted the use of a microwave link as the major trunk channel for long distance communication. The use of a microwave link has major advantages over cabling systems.

Microwaves

are radio waves (a form of electromagnetic radiation) with wavelengths ranging from as long as one meter to as short as one millimeter, or equivalently, with frequencies between 300 MHz (0.3 GHz) and 300 GHz.[1][2] This broad definition includes both UHF and EHF (millimeter waves), and various sources use different boundaries.[3] In all cases, microwave includes the entire SHF band (3 to 30 GHz, or 10 to 1 cm) at minimum, with RF engineering often putting the lower boundary at 1 GHz (30 cm), and the upper around 100 GHz (3 mm).

The prefix "micro-" in "microwave" is not meant to suggest a wavelength in the micrometer range. It indicates that microwaves are "small" compared to waves used in typical radio broadcasting, in that they have shorter wavelengths. The boundaries between far infrared light, terahertz radiation, microwaves, and ultra-high-frequency radio waves are fairly arbitrary and are used variously between different fields of study.

Microwave technology is extensively used for point-to-point telecommunications (i.e., non broadcast uses). Microwaves are especially suitable for this use since they are more easily focused into narrow beams than radio waves, allowing frequency reuse; their comparatively higher frequencies allow broad bandwidth and high data transmission rates, and antenna sizes are smaller than at lower frequencies because antenna size is inversely proportional to transmitted frequency. Microwaves are used in spacecraft communication, and much of the world's data, TV, and telephone communications are transmitted long distances by microwaves between ground stations and communications satellites. Microwaves are also employed in microwave ovens and in radar technology.

Now, let's look at HAARP

The HAARP project directs a 3.6 MW(Mega Watt) signal, in the 2.8–10 MHz region of the HF (high-frequency) band

And WiFi

A Wi-Fi signal occupies five channels in the 2.4 GHz band

And High frequency (HF) Waves

is the ITU-designated range of radio frequency electromagnetic waves (radio waves) between 3 and 30 MHz.

Communications Satellite

An Advanced Extremely High Frequency communications satellite relays secure communications for the United States and other allied countries.

And lastly Electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation or EMR)

is a form of energy emitted and absorbed by charged particles which exhibits wave-like behavior as it travels through space. EMR has both electric and magnetic field components, which stand in a fixed ratio of intensity to each other, and which oscillate in phase perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of energy and wave propagation
Are you starting to see the big picture? If not, let me paint it for you: People are surrounded by these microwaves via cellphone towers and satellites, like the food you just put in your microwave oven. The water inside of our bodies are slowly being cooked. Thanks to this wireless age. There is no escaping this thing. You'll never get a smoking gun because the gun is invisible.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

And WiFi

A Wi-Fi signal occupies five channels in the 2.4 GHz band

Not true..

Wifi uses the 5GHz , 3.6 GHz and 2.4GHz frequency ranges.

802.11b, g, n: 2.4-2.5Ghz range there are 14 channels (13 if you are in the US) .

802.11y : 3.6 GHz 7 channels (131-138)

802.11a,n: 5Ghz have 40 channels depending on where you are living.

The experiment was using a router with just 803.11b/g 2.4MHz which is the band microwaves also use but mobile phones use a much lower frequency so saying that the experiments shows that mobile phones cause problems doesn't make any sense.

edit on 25-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

top topics

join