It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Jesus knew truth because he thought and asserted he knew truth, beyond that is...what truth?

Truth is that which never changes.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Jesus knew truth because he thought and asserted he knew truth, beyond that is...what truth?

What unchanging "truth" did Jesus teach?

John 14:13
Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

Is that true?

John 14: 6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Truth? Not to me it isn't.

Matthew 16:28
There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Did that happen? I don't think so.

Jesus may have taught some universal truth, but I don't believe everything he is said to have taught is truth.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

What unchanging "truth" did Jesus teach?

Jesus did not teach the truth - he pointed toward it.
The truth cannot be learned - just recognized.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Jesus is the King of truth.

Truth isn't a religion, a ritual, a set of rules, or a principle.

Truth is a person:

“I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” ~ John 14:6

"For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” ~ John 18:37

edit on 25-7-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Before I answer the OP's question, I want to mention that Jesus taught people using God's truth. There is a huge difference between the truth of God and the truth of man. Therefore, the core principles of what Jesus taught would not have changed if he had lived longer. However, the teachings of over 2,000 years ago were based on the human consciousness at that time. So he had to adapt his teachings to the general public at that time so that they would perhaps understand what he was talking about. Remember that the culture back then was very different from today. He knew that most of the general public wouldn't understand him so he spoke in parables to keep people from warping what he taught into their own mindset. But he did give the entire truth to his disciples.

If during his lifetime that people's consciousness would change and go higher, then Jesus' teaching would of changed to adapt to their improvements. As I said, the core principles wouldn't change, but he would give a higher teaching if people were able to comprehend it.

To answer a question by another poster, the Bible is not the "Word of God." It was written by spiritual people who wrote down what they knew about God at the time. The Bible is a compilation of different authors over a course of thousands of years. So therefore, the mindset will be different as you noticed between the old and new testaments. It is not infallible as most churches testify. However, some teachings in there are still valid today via its core principles.

When Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but through me.", he was not speaking as himself. Jesus was speaking with the mind of God's truth or Christ Consciousness. I don't want to go into too much detail at this moment. But you can briefly understand why the way Jesus taught was so different from other spiritual people. Because he spoke through the mind of God, not the mind of man.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ctophil

If the Bible were NOT God's Word, WHY has it been attacked all throughout history?

Satan has NO reason to attack his own work.

The truth is attacked only because it is the TRUTH.

THIS is why the Luceferian elite HATE it with a vengeance.

The laws of probability PROVE that the Bible could not possibly be a man made invention.

The prophecies in the bible are irrefutable proof that the Bible is in fact divinely inspired.

Anyone who examines both history and the prophecies of the Bible with a critical and unbiased eye will come to this conclusion.

The Bible is proven as the word of God by the fulfillment of Bible prophesies. It is mathematically impossible for all of these prophesies to have just happened by chance. This proves that the people that wrote the Bible were inspired by God, for only God could accurately foretell the future, in detail 100% of the time, and at the same time encourage mankind to obey Him.

Source

The chances of just 48 out of the 456 prophecies being fulfilled in one person are 1 in 10 to the 157 power. "All this illustrates why it is absolutely impossible for anyone to have fulfilled the Messianic prophecies by chance. In fact, a leading authority on the probability theory, Emile Borel states that once we go past one chance in 10 to the 50th power, the probabilities are so small it's impossible to think they will ever occur." LINK

"Perhaps the most compelling of evidences demonstrating that the Bible is the word of God is its unswerving ability to accurately predict future events, often in minute details. Specific prophesies are conspicuously absent from the 26 other religious books that claim to be scripture, including the Muslim's Koran, the Book of Mormon, the Hindu Vedas, and Buddhist writings. This in itself should be a major eye-opener to the honest skeptic. "

Accuracy Of Prophecy

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

If the Quran is not god's WORD, then why has it been attacked throughout history?

See how that can go more than just one way?

Oh, and how can you believe history when, in your own words, it has been changed?

Mr. Contradiction rears his head again.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
reply to post by ctophil

If the Bible were NOT God's Word, WHY has it been attacked all throughout history?

The truth is attacked only because it is the TRUTH.

THIS is why the Luceferian elite HATE it with a vengeance.

The laws of probability PROVE that the Bible could not possibly be a man made invention.

The prophecies in the bible are irrefutable proof that the Bible is in fact divinely inspired.

Anyone who examines both history and the prophecies of the Bible with a critical and unbiased eye will come to this conclusion.

Hi there, I didn't say the Bible didn't have truth. I just said it is not the "Word of God." When you say it's the "Word of God," people will immediately assume it's an infallible, absolute truth. It is only relative truth. A lot of the teachings in the Bible were also divinely inspired. Meaning that the heavenly hosts (Angels) and God did give messages to people over the centuries, and they did write them down. However, here is the catch. Even when somebody from Heaven gives you a message, it will have to go through a filter of the mind. When that person writes it down, he or she has to process the message using the mind and consciousness of the time period to process the information before writing it down in their version. Remember what I said about the mind of God and the mind of man? Of course, because of this mind filter, the information will be changed everytime we write down divine messages, no matter who you are on planet Earth.

So what I meant was that no matter how you put it, it can not be the pure "Word of God" as most people would say. So therefore it's not infallible. Besides the mind filter, we also have translations into different languages, the corruption of the text put in by the churches, and of course additional mind filtering by translators and other cultures the book as gone through from nation to nation.

Now Satan and Lucifer have attacked the Bible, because it still has teachings that will help mankind raise their consciousness. It does have some truth. There is no such thing as the pure "Word of God" in this physical world that you can read or see with the physical eyes or ears. But you can get the pure thoughts and words of God by using the mind of God. Because why would the mind of God change anything that was already pure? The human mind is capable of merging with the mind of God. But that is a topic in itself. Could have the original writers of the Bible put on the pure mind of God to write the scriptures? Absolutely. But here is the second catch, as soon as you put the divine revelation into language, it changes into something a little different due to the language filter. You see, the physical world changes the pure "Word of God" in every instance. So use your spiritual eyes and ears (the mind of God) to read and hear the "Word of God." Only then will it not be tampered with. As Jesus said, "if you eyes to see and ears to hear." What he meant was Christ Consciousness or the mind of God. This mind of God can also tell you what is truth and what is not, also known as discernment.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ctophil

it is not the "Word of God." So therefore it's not infallible.

IF the Bible were not the "Word of God", WHY does He so often tell people to read it?

There are countless encounters where Jesus says things such as:

"Didn’t you read my book?"

"You don't believe my word the Bible..."

"an audible voice telling him to read a Bible..."

I had a supernatural encounter in 1979 that left me KNOWING without question that the Bible was written by GOD.

Below are three similar encounters, during two of them, Jesus refers to the Bible as "My Book":

As I stood there in the front of the church weeping and weeping, huge weights were being lifted from my back, my life and my mind. I was literally being cleansed and purified supernaturally by the Lord Jesus Christ as I was repenting of my sins, and I was filled with such tremendous love, joy and peace.

The Lord spoke two things to me there. The first was that every Word in the Bible was true, and the second was that I would never die. I was floating after that for eight years, and the Bible came alive to me and the words leaped off of the pages and literally exploded into my brain. happy707.wordpress.com...

Praying all night in the mosque, he asked God to help him. Suddenly he felt drops of oil falling on him and even smelled its fragrance, he says. He claims another time he heard an audible voice telling him to read a Bible—an abomination to a Muslim. “We would not touch a modern-day Bible,” he says. “This voice immediately put a desire in my heart. It is so vivid, so clear, so overwhelming. Still today, I could not forget that voice.”

Why Revival is Exploding Among Muslims

Nathan Leal interviews "CJ"

A Testimony of a Face to Face Encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ

This quote is the key point: "You don't believe my word the Bible."

"It's My responsibility as God to protect My word for you."

Dr. Richard Eby was a professor and obstetrician who fell off a second story balcony in Chicago and hit his head and died instantly and found himself in Paradise. When he came back to a bloodless corpse in the hospital morgue, the athiest Doctor refused to believe he was alive and told him to 'shut up and don't give me any of that #' because he knew that Eby had been taken into the hospital as a totally bloodless dead body.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jesus, where am I?I gasped! Suddenly in a new body in a new place with new life, I was ecstatically joyful: no pain, no tears, no sorrow, no memory.

Instantly, before I could complete my query, that same Voice in a tone of gentle thunder echoed within my head: "Didn’t you read my book?"

He was speaking to me (in fact, in me) with a speed greater than lightning, and in a language of sweet purity unlike anything that an earthly tongue could utter. I gasped again. I had HIS MIND, impossible as it seemed! Every word clearly meant exactly what was being said. We seemed to have a joint mind: I would ask, and He would answer. (The speed of this communication in such a MIND is hard to describe in human terms. Perchance I can now liken it to a printed page on which the questions being typed have the answers typed upon them, line upon line, at the same time, instantly.)

Yeshua began His answer: "If you had read My Book you would have known all the answers."

"In fact, everything that My children need to know about how God thinks and works and judges and rewards, either before or after the Cross, is already in My Book. That is why I commanded mankind to ‘engrave My Words upon their hearts,’ and to pass them along from generation to generation. I wanted everyone to hear and know just Who I AM, the Messiah, their one hope of Salvation, their Most High God."

Dr. Richard Eby dies, visits heaven, and returns with a startling message

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Confirmation bias.

If a Muslim came out and said he had a vision from god telling him the Quran was the true word of god, I'm willing to bet you'd call it a farce and make believe.

If a Christian came out and said that he had a vision from god saying the Quran was the true word of god, you'd call him a heretic and blasphemer.

The only reason you're even using these quotes is because they align with your presuppositions about what the bible is.

If religion is a lie, what is one thing you believe that Christianity doesn't teach? I know I've asked you this same question about 10 times now, and every time you ignore it. Why is that? Is it because there is nothing that you believe that isn't taught by religion?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

To answer your question. Yes it would have. BUT. Back in the 20's AD a major problem erupted. And it's this. The first century Jews broke the first century Apocalypse. Originally I suspect that what was supposed to have happened was that Jesus Christ, John the Baptist, and the 2 branches of Zechariah/messengers of Malachi were to meet up at the Jewish temple and fulfill the prophesies of Malachi where they were going to recreate the kingdom of David with Jerusalem as it's capitol and it was supposed to have been God's kingdom on Earth.

But what actually happened was this. Per Malachi 4 and Matthew 17 a major curse was slapped on the earth with the death of John the Baptist. He wasn't supposed to be murdered. So figuring it all out what happened was first century Israel triggered a top level Leviticus 26 curse that was supposed to last 2000 years. And the problem is that it's still running. See the book of Hosea and verse 6-2 specifically.

Essentially what he came to do was detoured for 2000 years.

Also here's a detail to consider here too. After the death of John the Baptist he started to talk in Parables. He's talking in codes. Much of what he is saying in parables is nonsense unless you can crack the code. And it goes all the way to Revelation. The seals of Revelation? Coded references to Old Testament prophesies. They are just fragments of prophesies and what you do is connect the seal to the appropriate prophecy to understand what he is talking about. The whore of Babylon? You can find that in Zechariah. The whore is Israelites. And the Maiden crowned with stars? Also Israelites. Literally what you have there are the worthy Israelites and the unworthy ones.

Something to think about eh?

edit on 26-7-2013 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I guess you would have to ask an elderly person who goes to church and has been with the same preacher for over 10 years. Then ask if that preachers teachings changed.

Now talking about Jesus in the bible...it's just a fairy tale man to scare children into being good. People just take things way too seriously, I guess it's their ego...they don't want to know that they are insignificant. So they go into denial with religion.
edit on 26-7-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
Now talking about Jesus in the bible...it's just a fairy tale man to scare children into being good.

IF the Bible were a fairy tale, WHY is it coming true?

The prophecies in the bible have been 100% accurate.

IF it were a fairy tale, why does it transform lives?

IF it were a fairy tale, WHY would millions risk their very lives and be put to death for simply possessing it?

The laws of probability PROVE that it is anything BUT a fairy tale.

The Bible is undoubtedly the most impactful book the world has ever known, transforming innumerable lives. Why, then, would the question whether or not the Bible is a fairy tale be a legitimate one in the hearts of many around the world?

From the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation, we read the story of God’s eternal design to redeem a fallen world. With God as its inspiring Author, the Bible is the world’s greatest work of literature, and throughout the ages multitudes have spent their lives proclaiming its truth. Many, in fact, have made the ultimate sacrifice so that others may simply hold in their hands a copy of its pages. Nevertheless, there has never been a book that has been as viciously attacked as the Bible. The Bible has been banned, burned, mocked, ridiculed and defamed. Many have been put to death for simply possessing a Bible. But still the idea that the Bible is a fairy tale persists.

The Bible is without doubt the best documented book from the ancient world, with more than 24,000 whole or partial biblical manuscripts in existence. No other document of antiquity has nearly as much evidence to confirm its reliability.

Another attestation to the Bible’s divine authorship is the vast number of detailed biblical prophecies that have come true exactly as foretold. We see the psalmist, for example, telling of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ nearly a thousand years before it occurred (Psalm 22), and hundreds of years before crucifixion was even invented! Simply put, it would be impossible for human beings to have seen so far into the future with such precision and accuracy hundreds of times. Indeed, it would be completely illogical to believe these proven prophecies are anything other than the work of God. Incidentally, and amazingly, probability experts tell us the mathematical odds of just forty-eight prophecies regarding one person (i.e. Christ) coming true as foretold are one in ten to the 157th power!

But the greatest proof that the Bible is not a fairy tale is the countless number of lives that have been transformed by the truths contained in its pages. Used by the Spirit of God, the holy truths of the Bible have turned millions of sinners into saints. Drug addicts have been cured by it, homosexuals set free by it, derelicts and deadbeats transformed by it, hardened criminals reformed by it, sinners rebuked by it, and hate turned to love by it. No amount of reading “Cinderella” or “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” can effect such change on the soul of man. The Bible does possess a dynamic and transforming power that is only possible because it is truly God’s Word.

Is the Bible a fairy tale?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

You know, I remember the first time I asked my parents why they don't go to church, why we don't study the bible, why we don't discuss the concept of god... I was around eleven or twelve.

I remember saying something to the effect - well if religion is a lie, why is it that Israel was formed just like the bible said it would be?

My mama chuckles and says, "Sissy, come now. How hard is it to follow a blue-print of social control, when the plans are sitting around for anyone to manipulate?"

We've all been lied to, and the lie is centuries old. Sort of hard to back track out of it now. It's just easier to play it out, just as the bible says. That is why, indeed, Revelations will come to pass. But make no mistake, it will be humans who bring it to pass.

As to the OP's question. I do think Christ's teachings would have changed should he have lived, but then, they have already changed over 20 centuries of reinterpretations and reformations. So in that respect, could we not say, the spirit of Christ still lives and it changes his works continuously?

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed as he grew older? Or would his teachings have remained the same, not at all evolving with his experience?

I would speculate that his teachings would have changed after another decade of life or so, as is prone to happen as we grow older and learn.

Opinions and speculations?
edit on 24-7-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

No, of course not!! His teachings then are endless. Everything he shared, inspired, taught then, applies today. In otherwords, if you change your question to read, "is there anything that Jesus taught back then that does not apply today?" The answer is NO!! It is all still relevant and simply never ending. Love one another, do the next right thing and stop glorifying stupid hollywood losers......i made that last part up myself

edit on 26-7-2013 by ItDepends because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2013 by ItDepends because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
i think if the Jews believed him to be a true prophet then they would have inevitably would have lead to a civil war. Then a war with the romans
His teachings would stay the same and this his why there would be many battles like in Islam
edit on 26-7-2013 by DuecesxGeneral because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed as he grew older? Or would his teachings have remained the same, not at all evolving with his experience?

I would speculate that his teachings would have changed after another decade of life or so, as is prone to happen as we grow older and learn.

Opinions and speculations?

Well if you read the gospels very carefully and closely, it becomes rather apparent that he DID indeed make it through the ordeal to live another day, even employing the art of disguise (what they can do to a man once they might try again), so he did live out a full life, but not in or around Jerusalem.

I am convinced that he became a man of great mirth and humor who lived life to the full and enjoyed the entire spectrum of human experience within reason.

Since the first half of his life was marked by sorrow, and suffering, what would that make the second half of his life look like?

If there was any sort of shift in his philosophy I believe it might have involved the dissolution of a strong duality of good vs. evil whereby he himself had already conquered over evil.

Imagine a Jesus in those hills yonder in my avatar, laughing his ass off for all the right reasons and living a liberated life (beyond the box) for all the right reasons, with the courage not only to suffer, but also to be happy..

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

"The more that sorrow and suffering has carved into our being, the more joy we can contain."
~ Kahlil Gibran

The Great Work of the Ages is almost complete. Our "work" being to simply complete Jesus' circle of joy. This, imho, is the great commission of Jesus Christ, to follow him through the ordeal (and there's always something to work through that is painful), out the other side and into the resurrected life.

It takes great courage to willingly suffer for what is right, but perhaps even greater courage to then be happy for all the right reasons.

So who among us will DARE to live the good life, stop whining and complaining, and where necessary and appropriate pick up whatever cross we have to bear and accept a fated calling, not simply to suffer, but also to realize the joy of heaven on earth?

Think of it as Christianity 2.0 "the other half" which doesn't terminate with guilt and shame at the cross but transcends the cross.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by NewAgeMan

It takes great courage to willingly suffer for what is right, but perhaps even greater courage to then be happy for all the right reasons.

So who among us will DARE to live the good life, stop whining and complaining, and where necessary and appropriate pick up whatever cross we have to bear and accept a fated calling, not simply to suffer, but also to realize the joy of heaven on earth?

Think of it as Christianity 2.0 "the other half" which doesn't terminate with guilt and shame at the cross but transcends the cross.

You have the right idea there. One of the things people must do is bring the Kingdom of Heaven onto Earth. Suffering was never the intention of God. You don't have to suffer to prove anything. God doesn't need any proving. What happened to Jesus was just the fallen consciousness of the church elite. They wanted to destroy him so that he would no longer preach the truth. Jesus turned the other cheek and let them do what they wanted in order to expose their hypocrisy. What they didn't realize is that by destroying Jesus' physical body, he transcended himself.

NewAgeman got it right by saying you must transcend the cross. Let me go a little deeper, you must transcend all things on Earth in order to raise your consciousness. What does that mean? First, break away from your mental box of religion. Break away from the mental box of believing that the Bible is the infallible "Word of God." We all have mental boxes while in the physical plane (and higher planes too). A mental box is the current belief system created by society, your family, your friends, your loved ones, your gov't, your church, your job, your lifestyle, your country, your ego, and pretty much anything this world will try to make you conform to. First, transcend these things. Then after that, transcend even yourself. Question everything, use intuition. A mental box is a mental image. When you have a mental image, it's idolatry. You are conforming and worshiping an image in your mind. For example, people worship an image of an angry God who is far away and wants to punish people to an eternal hell. That is not the true God. That is an image created by the many aspects of life I described earlier.

You may have a better understanding of life today. But tomorrow, transcend this understanding. Ignorance is not bliss, it's a pathway to destruction. Ignorance is bliss for the fallen elites who want you to stay in your mental box and never transcend this physical world.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
P.S. The santa hat in my avatar is also significant, as is the rising full lunar eclipse for passover preparation day, the full blood-red moon a symbol of both the suffering of the cross and a life fully lived, as a whole life (not a half life), and therefore with an equal portion of happiness and joy beyond the fated wedge or box of the cross, inviting yes a transcendence of it in the resurrected life, but not "up there" as in Jesus being "beamed straight up" but right here on earth where he surely did realize heaven on earth, so as to create a full space by which those who follow him can join him also, in closing the circle of unending joy and completing the Great Work in the triumphant liberated life, again not after death, but right now, today this day and evermore moving forward in eternity.

The Santa hat represents what I am convinced is a variation on what he actually adorned himself with, including a red cloak trimmed in white, every winter solstice thereafter or whenever he felt it was appropriate, because Jesus appears to have been a trained Magus well aware of the ancient sacred sciences and cosmologies, so he looked at the divine order and then proceeded to do what the signs were telling him, as if they were instructions sent for him alone as markers placed from the very origin of the creation, and the Gospels and his talk of his heavenly father support this contention and bear it out.

Remember too that the cross (Passover) was a rite of spring and the renewal of life, whereas the winter solstice represents the evolutionary principal of death and resurrection.

Originally posted by daskakik

As for Cygnus being a cross, so what?

I suspect that it might very well have been meaningful or significant to the historical person of Jesus of Nazareth, you know like seeing the writing on the wall... quite literally!

23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up his cross and follow me.

Cygnus, considered since ancient times as the source of a death and resurrection principal (random DNA mutation?) and often associated with a bird of life and a swan (symbol of grace), in the constellation known now, and in ancient times, as "The Northern Cross".

Perhaps another "sign" or allegory once recognized by an old friend of mine.. ? Hey you never know because as it appears, anything is possible.

The reversal of Cygnus makes the asterism of the Northern Cross, with Deneb now at the top, the cross seen rising on its side in early northern summer evenings, standing upright in the west in early northern winter after sunset.

stars.astro.illinois.edu...

And yes, it also has extra stars which give it wings and thus the symbol of a bird often a swan (symbol of Grace) in the dark rift of the Milky Way, but it was also seen as the Northern Cross with Deneb, the constellation's apex, being close to the pole star and once serving as the pole star. It's main form as a constellation is that of a cross, which picks itself up every year on the northern horizon. Such was true in the same sky that Jesus was observing..

Hmph.. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this..? Could be an ATS exclusive..

What am I suggesting, that the UCA knew, from the very origin of creation or least that of our own galaxy, and thus from the very beginning.., what the preferred method of Roman execution would be during one human lifetime, to the degree that the relative luminosity and relative motion of a certain stellar constellation when seen from earth, would be recognized as a sign and allegory by that one individual? Yes.

Perhaps Nicholas of Myra, who participated in the Council of Nicaea knew or intuited more about the elder Jesus than most everyone else and was operating in imitation of Christ, knowingly or unknowingly..

Saint Nicholas @ Nicaea

Bishop Nicholas Loses His Cool (At The Council of Nicaea)

In AD 325 Emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicaea, the very first ecumenical council. More than 300 bishops came from all over the Christian world to debate the nature of the Holy Trinity. It was one of the early church's most intense theological questions. Arius, from Egypt, was teaching that Jesus the Son was not equal to God the Father. Arius forcefully argued his position at length. The bishops listened respectfully.
As Arius vigorously continued, Nicholas became more and more agitated. Finally, he could no longer bear what he believed was essential being attacked. The outraged Nicholas got up, crossed the room, and slapped Arius across the face! The bishops were shocked. It was unbelievable that a bishop would lose control and be so hotheaded in such a solemn assembly. They brought Nicholas to Constantine. Constantine said even though it was illegal for anyone to strike another in his presence, in this case, the bishops themselves must determine the punishment.
The bishops stripped Nicholas of his bishop's garments, chained him, and threw him into jail. That would keep Nicholas away from the meeting. When the Council ended a final decision would be made about his future.
Nicholas was ashamed and prayed for forgiveness, though he did not waver in his belief. During the night, Jesus and Mary his Mother, appeared,* asking, "Why are you in jail?" "Because of my love for you," Nicholas replied. Jesus then gave the Book of the Gospels to Nicholas. Mary gave him an omophorion, so Nicholas would again be dressed as a bishop. Now at peace, Nicholas studied the Scriptures for the rest of the night.
When the jailer came in the morning, he found the chains loose on the floor and Nicholas dressed in bishop's robes, quietly reading the Scriptures. When Constantine was told of this, the emperor asked that Nicholas be freed. Nicholas was then fully reinstated as the Bishop of Myra.
The Council of Nicaea agreed with Nicholas' views, deciding the question against Arius. The work of the Council produced the Nicene Creed which to this day many Christians repeat weekly when they stand to say what they believe.

www.stnicholascenter.org...

One wonders what the other Bishop was talking about when he was arguing against the fundamental idea that Jesus as the son is of the same essence as the father, which so outraged the sensibilities of Nicholas that he marched over and in effect bopped him one (or slapped hard across the face with a glove same dif)..?!

I purport that Nicholas, being part of the Council of Nicea, was certainly aware of the story of the elder Jesus, and as such, intentionally set out to mimic what he knew of him, who come winter solstice may have liked nothing more than to deck himself out in a red cloak with white trimmings (in remembrance of his Magnum Opus), giving blessings (even gifts) to children, and dedicating himself to them, and to all, with no more miracles or signs and wonders required, his job completed back in Jerusalem.
Children, and the love of children, and gift giving - how appropriate would that be, when we realize of course that Jesus own childhood might not have been the happiest..

edit on 26-7-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join