It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed as he grew older? Or would his teachings have remained the same, not at all evolving with his experience?

I would speculate that his teachings would have changed after another decade of life or so, as is prone to happen as we grow older and learn.

Opinions and speculations?
edit on 24-7-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Depends on what you mean by "teachings".

He would have had a lot more to say, but then again, I don't believe he existed at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Maybe he wouldn't have become the martyr he did through the ensuing political manipulation, but then they would've just found another person to create idol worship out of.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What's the point of speculating? Even if the guy really existed, his 'quotes' were supposedly first written down decades later, then twisted, Chinese-telephoned, repeatedly badly translated, and edited into something that can only be considered a cross (heh) between poetry, dogma and political expedience, from there used to make as much money for the churches and church officials as possible.

What more would you want him to say? It's all been ignored by civilization while at the same time expounded upon by hypocrites as the way for other people to act, whilst they themselves continue to be more violent than the great apes they refuse to consider may be their ancestors.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

What's the point of speculating? Even if the guy really existed, his 'quotes' were supposedly first written down decades later, then twisted, Chinese-telephoned, repeatedly badly translated, and edited into something that can only be considered a cross (heh) between poetry, dogma and political expedience, from there used to make as much money for the churches and church officials as possible.

What more would you want him to say? It's all been ignored by civilization while at the same time expounded upon by hypocrites as the way for other people to act, whilst they themselves continue to be more violent than the great apes they refuse to consider may be their ancestors.

It was a simple question.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Simple answer....No.
He said 'I and my Father are one. "
If the father is unchanging, then it stands to reason that He is unchanging, therefore his teachings would not change.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

That got you a simple answer. Simple in it's truth.

No, his teachings wouldn't have changed I think. He seemed to have gotten everything down pat in the time he was here.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

No, his teachings wouldn't have changed I think. He seemed to have gotten everything down pat in the time he was here.

According to....

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

If Jesus had lived longer, would his teachings have changed as he grew older? Or would his teachings have remained the same?

Jesus never changes.

Scripture tells us over and over that God will not change His mind...

“I the Lord do not change” ~ Malachi 3:6

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever” ~ Hebrews 13:8

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” ~ James 1:17

“Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek” ~ Hebrews 6:17-20

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Jesus never changes.

I think he aged from a newborn into a fully grown adult. Some might consider that a change.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

And I gave you more of an answer than the 'simple question' deserved.

Maybe ask George W. Bush. Last I heard, he was in contact with either the guy or his 'father'.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

You used the simple question as a platform to proselytize. You didn't even answer it.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I think its fair to say that if he grew to be 60 years old,of course the teachings would change.
Experience creates new beliefs based on new experiences.

My question is would he have eventually gotten cynical and fed up with the barbaric human race.
My answer is yes.

He was a man like the rest of us after all.

For the record my beliefs aren't Christian,I was just answering a question that might not be as simple as i would like to think.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I think its fair to say that if he grew to be 60 years old,of course the teachings would change.
Experience creates new beliefs based on new experiences.

My question is would he have eventually gotten cynical and fed up with the barbaric human race.
My answer is yes.

He was a man like the rest of us after all.

For the record my beliefs aren't Christian,I was just answering a question that might not be as simple as i would like to think.

We are in agreement. I would assume that, like any man, his beliefs would have changed. I also agree that he would have became more cynical.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Ok,I have one more question.

Do you think his teachings would have gone more radical,the government back then was pretty corrupt and he hinted on that in a sort of fearful way in the bible.
Give Ceaser what is his,give god what is his.(my way of saying it but you get the idea)
My opinion is if he said what he actually wanted,he would have said screw em.

Do you think he would have eventually said screw it and told the truth about the corruption while teaching people to overcome them corrupt pricks?
Again,he did turn over tables in a church where people were selling things?
edit on 24-7-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Ok,I have one more question.

Do you think his teachings would have gone more radical,the government back then was pretty corrupt and he hinted on that in a sort of fearful way in the bible.
Give Ceaser what is his,give god what is his.(my way of saying it but you get the idea)

Do you think he would have eventually said screw it and told the truth about the corruption while teaching people to overcome them corrupt pricks?
Again,he did turn over tables in a church where people were selling things?

In my opinion yes. I also think he would've turned from his followers and sought solitude.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Taupin Desciple

According to....

........My opinion.

I wasn't there at the time so that's all I have to go by, my opinion based on my beliefs based on what I've read.

Opinions aren't right or wrong. They differ. Understanding that makes for healthy debates.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

You used the simple question as a platform to proselytize. You didn't even answer it.

But I *did* answer it. Whatever the guy might have said in advanced age would have still been twisted or misquoted by the sheer fact that decades went by before anyone wrote down anything. If he hadn't been martyred, most likely none of it would have been noted by history (or being martyred is necessary to be noticed by certain blood-lust religions).

Do you believe that the bible was the actual word of god, without mistakes? Or a rather creepy and horrifically violent insight into the mind of desert dwellers to whom a plow was the height of technology and who, unlike an omniscient god, knew nothing about, say, electricity, or the sun being a star, or germs or how to heal leprosy with antibiotics rather than miracles... ?

It woulda been real nifty if your god's son had actually come up with something useful instead of mostly ignored advice for how to treat each other. And who ignores it the most? Why, the church who pretends to follow him. Unless you think the Crusades and the Inquisition were just misreadings of ancient text and forgivable if enough Hail Mary's are invoked.

Sorry for the 'proselytizing'. I'm just sick of the hypocrisy and fantasy mongering. After all, I only believe in one less god than you do. Unless you worship Zeus in your spare time when not asking pointless questions.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I was asking a hypothetical question. I was expecting a hypothetical answer, not a flurry of overused atheist talking points and cliches. Hypocrisy indeed.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I think he aged from a newborn into a fully grown adult. Some might consider that a change.

By missing the context you are distorting the meaning.

The context is that God doesn’t change with respect to Him being a God of judgment towards the wicked and merciful to those who turn to Him.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join