It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

deadly train derailment in Spain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Interesting how we are seeing usual plane and train crashes. Extraterrestrials using microwave weapons?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
More than 90 still in hospital after Spain train crash; death toll at 78, official says

www.cnn.com...

great video at the link wow

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Anyone an idea what's happening on the ramp at the left just prior to the crash?

If this footage is available there should also be other footages from other trains, just to compare.

As for the speed it should be easy to calculate the speed from the video.
The moment the train passes under the bridge to the moment of the crash takes about 3-4 seconds.
There are roughly 5 poles inbetween, seen from streetview goo.gl...
What's the distance between each pole, anyone an idea?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
I'm thinking Al-cia'da
"terrorist" cells.

OR something that occurred to me; I recently heard here in Belgium the European council is trying to get a bill approved that would force every country to put in a safety deadlock on tracks.

Maybe something like that? I don't know still.. I fear this isn't the last one this year. But why trains tho?

EDIT: nvm that wouldn't explain china,russia, canada.
edit on 24-7-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

I just read this bit of information from someone leaving a commentary at the independent.co.uk article. It could be the brakes were failing indeed:

"The Swiss newspapers report that in Spain, there is an investigation if the brakes could have been failing. The panicked phone call from the driver could match that scenario too.. Knowing you are going to fast, knowing the bend is coming, unable to brake...? Let's wait for the investigation results before we condemn the driver."

It's written in the comments section of the article at this link:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 25-7-2013 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
reply to post by elevenaugust

Anyone an idea what's happening on the ramp at the left just prior to the crash?

If this footage is available there should also be other footages from other trains, just to compare.

As for the speed it should be easy to calculate the speed from the video.
The moment the train passes under the bridge to the moment of the crash takes about 3-4 seconds.
There are roughly 5 poles inbetween, seen from streetview goo.gl...
What's the distance between each pole, anyone an idea?

To me, that looks like a bomb has gone off.. good idea to proceed with all of those calculations..
don't know yet where to find those details though..

www.Elpais.com has an English language version o their newspaper and that might be helpful.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

reply to post by smurfy

Indeed .
And why is it that only one wagon catched fire? Another wagon flied and ended up on a sort of bridge or road 5 meters higher than the rails.

Just saw an interview with an eyewitness saying he heard an explosion and saw a part of the train jumping, flying, which after that it derailed
edit on 24-7-2013 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

The BBC had a Spanish newspaper reporter on the telephone, and she says that several carriages had fire, that one carriage was completely, either disintegrated or totally crushed, (the interaction on the telephone line was difficult to make out) but she also made the point that the derailment is being treated as an 'accident' by the government sources, but as if there is still nothing positive to say so.

I hope the Spanish authorities are willing to do a more complete investigation. This could be a terrorist attack, false flag, and currently the leader of the Partido Popular (Popular Party) is in fear of being ousted, being forced out of government due to financial scandals (see the Barcena case..@ El Pais.com- That press site has an English language option and they have all of the details about the Barcenas case which is totally important right now). www.elpais.com

Also, this has happened right on the Christian Festival of The Feast of Santiago in the North of Spain. That celebration has been cancelled and the country has called for 3 days of mourning nationally, and 7 days of mourning in Santiago itself. This is totally a set up in my opinion!!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tony9802

There should be regulations on the distances.

I'm hearing a lot of things on the event, i don't live far from where it happened and have family living in Santiago.
My sister works in the hospital of Santiago and was just on vacation, she is been called back to help the victims.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blasdelezo

The story goes. Probably the train's velocity was too high to take the curve, where the accident happened.

If the train were going too fast, wouldn't you think the first car would have derailed first over the second? or third?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
from the video it looks like the carriage was failing even as the train came into view, it is slightly clearer on TV news.
The camera was part of the railroad, and the flash was from overhead power lines being torn down at a pylon.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by Senduko

I mean really how many times have you hard about deadly train wrecks? Prior to this year..

Honestly, I can't think of any

A minimal amount of research shows about 40 per year.
Mostly India and China.

List of Rail Accidents between 2010 and Present

The number per year almost doubles after 2005.
List of Train Accidents between 2000 and 2009

edit on 7/24/13 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

The problem really lies in the safety standards and implementation and execution of them. Most people forget how much effort and research is involved in designing the technology along with the safety concerns. There are many who would love to push the boundary of the machines at the cost of several lives. There is a video clip which clearly shows the speed at which it hit the curve and sorta 'slingshot' the rear compartments first before the engine.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

You're right. There does seem to be an explosion in the rear compartments somewhere before it the derailment...interesting. Lets see what the investigators uncover. Pretty sad.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just saw an interview with a Spanish gentlemen who was explaining that the Black Box that has been retrieved from the wreckage will explain more details about what actually had happened with the velocity or brakes of the train system, and what was happening in the cabin with the train drivers.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Maybe that depends on the weight of each carriage, the first one contains the motor compartiment.

My calculations from what's seen on the footage and the distance messured in googlemaps, the train would indeed be going at around 180km/h.
So at first sight the problem seems to be in the electronics, the automatic brakes(security system) that failed.
The communication between train and rails, sensors or gps system. The tracks are only 2-3 years old, if you look at the date in googlemaps.
The day before, the train had an inspection and all was found normal.

Anyone an idea what's the thing moving on the platform at the left?

Also i think the explosion happened after the train derailed, if you look at when the electric cables starts to move and the moment of explosion.

Another thing, who would release this footage just moments after the crash?
edit on 25-7-2013 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Maybe that depends on the weight of each carriage, the first one contains the motor compartiment.

My calculations from what's seen on the footage and the distance messured in googlemaps, the train would indeed be going at around 180km/h.
So at first sight the problem seems to be in the electronics, the automatic brakes(security system) that failed.
The day before, the train had an inspection and all was found normal.

Anyone an idea what's the thing moving on the platform at the left?

Also i think the explosion happened after the train derailed, if you look at when the electric cables starts to move and the moment of explosion.

Another thing, who would release this footage just moments after the crash?

The footage was released by the authorities as these are CCTV cameras that are located along the rail system.

Also, it's still not sure if the driver actually was actually going 180km/hr (120miles/hr) in a 50km (80miles/hr.) zone. That still might be speculation as a Swiss newspaper has claimed that there may have been failures in the braking system, disallowing the train conductors to monitor the speed. Also, in an interview that I saw today, there was a trainsman authority who mentioned that normally the trains have internal alert systems that alert and sound off whenever there are irregularities in the speed of the vehicle at particular speed sites. That will be an important detail to observe as soon as the Black Box information actually comes out. I suggest you take a look at www.elpais.com and read the English version of the press for any additional information; In any case, these things are currently being studied by the authorities there in spain.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tony9802

You can messure it for yourself using the video and googlemaps. You won't get an exact data of the velocity but you'll be close.
As i said before i live pretty close to santiago and have family members living there. So you can imagine what's on television and on the streets today.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This looks like some type of bomb went off inside of the train after the crash.... terrorist ruled out so quick when people heard bombs going off before/after the derailment, lets get real. Someone could of took over the train and had it packed with c4..
edit on 25-7-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by geobro
the news in the u.k is saying that the explosion was heard before the crash

Is it really? Funny that - I've been watching TV all night at work and no mention of it - who exactly is talking about an explosion?

Here is an eyewitness account of someone who was on the train:

One passenger on the train, Sergio Prego, told SER radio station he was lucky to get out of the train alive.

"The train was going at a very fast speed and on the curve it went off the tracks and it overturned. We were the lucky ones that were able to get out on our own feet.

www.bbc.co.uk...

reply to post by hotel1

Actually, in the UK the authorities will remove bodies in exactly the same manner.

Recovery of bodies and survivors actually takes precedence over collecting any evidence. A good comparison would be the Ladbroke Grove crash which killed 31 people in 1999 (which I actually avoided being caught in by virtue of being late) - Here is a link to the Story on BBC from the day and images clearly show removal of bodies

Originally posted by Bluesma
Last week when the train derailed in Paris, reports said it was caused purposely- it was a terrorist attack of some kind. Something fairly small was put on the track, which caused the high speed train to derail.

Now, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, I was in the middle of an intense workweek, and did not watch any television. I was limited to hearing what my husband and collegues were telling me, and the reports on the car radio.

Again, funny that - I never once heard that it was caused purposely and I think the point here is that you were not paying attention. There was speculation that sloppy maintenance was to blame and the prevailing theory at the moment is that a faulty point was the cause.

That accident has a lot of similarities to the Potters Bar crash in 2002, which too was the cause of poor maintenance missing a faulty point, sending the train careering into the station platform.
edit on 25/7/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

We obviously attended different training courses.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Senduko

You're right. There does seem to be an explosion in the rear compartments somewhere before it the derailment...interesting. Lets see what the investigators uncover. Pretty sad.

The derailment starts at 3 seconds, and the pylon flash, (that's what it is) occurs at 6 seconds as per the first segment. By the time the motor hits the camera the whole train is derailed.

An Associated Press estimate of the train’s speed at the moment of impact using the time stamp of the video and the estimated distance between two pylons gives a range of 144-192 kph (89-119 mph). Another estimate calculated on the basis of the typical distance between railroad ties gives a range of 156-182 kph (96-112 mph).
Using the pylons or the ties, is probably as good as any method until the black box is examined.

edit on 25-7-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Blasdelezo

yeah that's what I meant chavalin!

Renfe and Feve both fired like half their maintenance crews anyways......so

oh and Asturias. Chorin del norte presente.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I tell you what though.... that Video Footage is awesome! If this was a crash in a Movie, it would have been rated very highly for special effects! Almost 3D coming at ya.

Anyways, people keep saying it was an explosion when it wasn't, as I said in my last post, it was the Pylon taking a hit and then the flash occurs!

How did the Driver of that Train manage to get out alive? Damn lucky bugger!
edit on 25-7-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join