It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healing the African American People

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by TheMagus

holey rusted metal, batman!
gee thanks for thoroughly depressing me.

Don't be depressed, none of that was factual...just a bunch of another extreme opinion pieces.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

okay, imagine the concentration camps were going on now, and that the nation's leaders had learned how to make it socially acceptable that the people inside the camps were no longer prisoners of the camps but didn't leave as the camps were the only homes they knew. and to blame everyone else for their predicament, so the leaders wouldn't have to take personal responsibility for the dilemma. it's a massive human rights issue, i mean of epic proportions.

now that's not to say this kinda thing does not happen to impoverished groups of various races all over the world. but this isn't all over the world. this is right here in the usa. and it isn't in the hills of tennessee. it's in squashed together living quarters with rampant violence, an every day event. day after day.

soon the whole country may look like that and wouldn't hurt for everyone to be aware of what it does to you, personally, and how to dig yourself out of it. the inner city black community needs new leaders. the ones they have in there now are opportunists who use isolated every day occurences to wrangle up further trauma to the people there. this has got to be corrected.

only way i can think of, for starters anyway, is for the people of the usa to express an outpouring of love for black americans as we did for the egyptians.

edit on 25-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

But those camps are not populated by people who could get out and who could change things but do not and only hope than someone will give them something.

The people of the USA have been giving and giving--Medicaid, welfare, WIC, housing, EEOC, racial based preferences and scholarships, racial based contracts and hiring practices. The opportunities are there and have been there for a long time. The problem is not that the US does not care, the problem is the people and a culture that refuse to take advantage of opportunity when offered.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

have you ever met or known, or personally been, chronically depressed? well that's only one of the symptoms of PTSD. there's more.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

have you ever met or known, or personally been, chronically depressed? well that's only one of the symptoms of PTSD. there's more.

Think about your question...that someone who is a medial person in the military may be acquainted with PTSD.

Of course, but not the only symptom. Cause and effect. Are the depressed because of PTSD or depressed because they don't have things? PTSD is a bit overused and comprises of a specific pattern of behaviors and reactions after a traumatic event. Consider that the event is "outside normal." A boxer who gets beaten up every day, for example, would not develop PTSD. An accountant who has never been in a fist fight could develop it from a mugging. If one grows up hearing shots outside every day, then that is (even though you may find the idea terrifying) "normal" to them. Consider a city dweller who cannot sleep when out in the country because "it's too quiet."
edit on 25-7-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

Chronic depression is not a symptom of PTSD.

www.ptsd.va.gov...

There are four types of PTSD symptoms:
1. Reliving the event (also called re-experiencing symptoms)

Memories of the traumatic event can come back at any time. You may feel the same fear and horror you did when the event took place. For example: You may have nightmares. You may feel like you are going through the event again. This is called a flashback. You may see, hear, or smell something that causes you to relive the event. This is called a trigger. News reports, seeing an accident, or hearing a car backfire are examples of triggers.

2.Avoiding situations that remind you of the event

You may try to avoid situations or people that trigger memories of the traumatic event. You may even avoid talking or thinking about the event. For example:

You may avoid crowds, because they feel dangerous.
You may avoid driving if you were in a car accident or if your military convoy was bombed.
If you were in an earthquake, you may avoid watching movies about earthquakes.
You may keep very busy or avoid seeking help because it keeps you from having to think or talk about the event.

3.Negative changes in beliefs and feelings
The way you think about yourself and others changes because of the trauma. This symptom has many aspects, including the following:
You may not have positive or loving feelings toward other people and may stay away from relationships.
You may forget about parts of the traumatic event or not be able to talk about them.
You may think the world is completely dangerous, and no one can be trusted.

4.Feeling keyed up (also called hyperarousal)
You may be jittery, or always alert and on the lookout for danger.
You might suddenly become angry or irritable. This is known as hyperarousal. For example:
You may have a hard time sleeping.
You may have trouble concentrating.
You may be startled by a loud noise or surprise.
You might want to have your back to a wall in a restaurant or waiting room.

Once again I must say you applying a term to a whole race that does not apply.

Maybe "victim mentality" is more appropriate.
edit on 25-7-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Everybody wants to heal everyone else except themselves.

It feels good to help and heal others, and it doesn't feel good to acknowledge that you may have problems, so most just ignore it and "try" to be nice and help others.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

merely pointing out that simple solutions won't work
especially when enduring social institutions are involved, in this case.
we are talking about a divide and conquer system 1st perfected in ancient India by [Surprise, Surprise !] their aryan conquerors [Caste in Sanskrit is Varna=Color].

so far most of the solutions promoted to end racism have been too passive [requiring the racist's cooperation ],
are based vindictiveness, or have been co-opted by the racists themselves, when not covertly promoted by them.

instead of abusing and twisting the hate crimes laws, simply penalize racist and discriminatory behavior, by declaring such "people" Mentally Incompetent, for LIFE.

no vote, no guns, can't run for office, most jobs out of reach, especially those that have a formative role on society so they can't spread their hate to future generations [teachers, LEO's, etc.]

no more taxpayers dollars wasted on plantations *COUGHING* prisons, ostracism is much cheaper
and will kill multiple birds with one stone.

no more "keep the white man down/ they iz pers'cutin us white folk/ dey tuke ar jabs" bs/ conspiracy claims
as they have made their own beds.

even the "smarter"[
] ones will either eventually give themselves away, or be forced to self-reprogram themselves
due to having to repress their regressive and objectionable behavior.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

we are talking about a divide and conquer system 1st perfected in ancient India by [Surprise, Surprise !] their aryan conquerors [Caste in Sanskrit is Varna=Color].

so far most of the solutions promoted to end racism have been too passive [requiring the racist's cooperation ],
are based vindictiveness, or have been co-opted by the racists themselves, when not covertly promoted by them.

instead of abusing and twisting the hate crimes laws, simply penalize racist and discriminatory behavior, by declaring such "people" Mentally Incompetent, for LIFE.

no vote, no guns, can't run for office, most jobs out of reach, especially those that have a formative role on society so they can't spread their hate to future generations [teachers, LEO's, etc.]

no more taxpayers dollars wasted on plantations *COUGHING* prisons, ostracism is much cheaper

no more "keep the white man down/ they iz pers'cutin us white folk/ dey tuke ar jabs" bs/ conspiracy claims

even the "smarter"[
] ones will either eventually give themselves away, or be forced to self-reprogram themselves

Thought control and reprogramming. George Orwell would be proud.

Would your totalitarian dream include all racists or just white racists? Would Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton be forced into reeducation camps too?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

I have both of those, and that has nothing to do with anything. I still strive to be better and to get out of my situation.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Wrong? No i don't believe so but I could be wrong. I was just explaining the back drop for the basis of my answers. Racial relations weren't all that gravy back in the past but our predecessors made amazing progress considering the situation they found themselves in.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Don't be depressed, none of that was factual...just a bunch of another extreme opinion pieces.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
you get to be the 1st to be declared non compos mentis!

just couldn't repress yourself ehh!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

even the "smarter"[

Would your totalitarian dream include all racists or just white racists? Would Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton be forced into reeducation camps too?

you have twisted my words to suit your delusions
is further proof required ?

all of them of course,
unlike some
I do not discriminate.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

i think you know what i mean.

this woman lost all four of her children. most would focus on the words "gun violence" but we know that's a misnomer. how can she not be traumatized by this and not have PTSD from it?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

even the "smarter"[

you have twisted my words to suit your delusions
is further proof required ?

all of them of course,
unlike some
I do not discriminate.

Actually you do...you like to bring the full force of government to punish thoughts you don't like. People who think like you, are of course sane--the mantra of every dictator since the dawn of man--and people who don't think like you get put away. The Soviets did this in their psych-prisons, so you have an intellectual friend in Stalin.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Cancerwarrior

i think you know what i mean.

this woman lost all four of her children. most would focus on the words "gun violence" but we know that's a misnomer. how can she not be traumatized by this and not have PTSD from it?

Upset? Of course. Upset for life? Yes. But, to be nitpicky, does not fit the clinical definition of PTSD.

Is she upset with herself for not raising them properly? Is she upset for them for making wrong choices? Is she just upset at everyone?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philodemus
reply to post by undo

I'm Polish. I want reparations for the roughly 20,000 Polish officers killed by Stalin and the 200,000 or so civilians killed by Hitler. Also, apologize for all the dumb Polak jokes.

Inanity.

The day we realize there are no such things as civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, etc. will be the day we live in harmony as equals, respected for our individual merit and be allowed to live our lives as means to their own ends.

In Humanity,
Daniel
edit on 24-7-2013 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

you need to deal with the anti semitism problem in order to qualify

en.wikipedia.org...:_Anti-Semitism_in_Poland_after_Auschwitz

www.jpost.com...

A survey conducted in recent weeks among high school students in Warsaw, Poland, presented disturbing results on the extent of hatred towards Jews, with a shocking 44 percent saying they would not like to have a Jewish neighbor.

One thousand two hundred and fifty students, aged 17-18, were surveyed by a Homo Homini Institute of Public Opinion Research poll commissioned by the Jewish community in Poland. Of these, 40% said they would not like to have a Jewish classmate.
Related:

The survey found 60% of the respondents said they would not like to have a Jewish partner, while 45% said they “would not be happy” if they had a Jewish relative.

When asked about the Holocaust, the Polish students did not hide their anti-Semitic opinions and showed poor knowledge of Jewish history in Poland

i'll assume going by the latter half of your post that you're NOT an anti semite yourself.

and you do have a point regarding the reparations idiocy [though descendants of irish and scots sold into slavery would have been a better example] and regarding the systematic and subversive abuse of the very concept of rights themselves .

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
UK perspective, so I'm not personally familiar with race in America although we have similar 'problems' within black communities here.

My small observation about the 'PTSD' element that is apparent here too is that the trauma has a lot of basis in black communities militarising themselves in gangs to fight internal 'wars'. You might argue about why black folk do this in the UK, but the fact remains - shootings and stabbings create stress and trauma in 'soldiers'. A significant amount of this violence is entirely black on black, and not even about criminal proceeds, much like in the US.

It's worth noting that the UK black community is largely untouched by the shameful legacy of slavery.

I should stress that this violence involves only a small proportion of Black Britons. My own personal dealings with their community has been overwhelmingly positive, but a day barely goes by when a black youth is not shot or killed by a black youth. Sad, but true.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

This is one individual woman who tragically lost her kids.

Things like this happen to white, brown, and yellow people too believe it or not.

You have been talking this whole thread about black society as a whole collectively suffering from PTSD.

How are the two related?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by ButterCookie

Wrong? No i don't believe so but I could be wrong. I was just explaining the back drop for the basis of my answers. Racial relations weren't all that gravy back in the past but our predecessors made amazing progress considering the situation they found themselves in.

That is precisely what I explained...and it was as rebuttal to the "black -people- today- are -victims- because- of slavery" theory

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
moved to next page
edit on 25-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join