It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man's honesty lauded by upstate NY police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here is a feel good story for a change and one with two good guys in it. The Homeless man and the Police Detective. They both get my admiration for character and honesty. They would both seem to have it in abundance. Read here and tell me what you think.

KINGSTON, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a lost wallet containing nearly $500 has been returned to its owner after being found by a homeless man living on the streets of a Hudson Valley city.

now this is a short story, so to be fair to the source, so must my quotes be. I'll just toss in one more to explain the Police reference.

Croizer says he wanted to publicize the story because it made him think twice about judging people based on appearances or circumstances. He also wanted local people to know about the man's honesty.
Source

Now, before reading this story, answer this honestly as to what your answer would have been. If asked whether a Homeless man finding an abandoned wallet with $500 sitting there for the taking would turn it in without so much as a dollar missing ....with no outside reason to fear being caught or encouraged in other ways? How many would have even given 1 out of 10 as a fair guess?

I guess this shows a general example to more than just the Detective Lieutenant here. You just never can tell who a person is or what their story/character may be by appearance and circumstance alone. Heck, the bum a person looks down on? Could be the man who saves your life a few minutes later when, in pure random tragedy, a car mows you down within sight of the guy some would have ridiculed.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Very heart warming Wrabbit

We have a homeless guy near where I live

He sells something called The big issue a magazine for which he gets a return for each one he sells

I quite often buy him a sausage roll and a drink or something similar, he's very articulate and intelligent but prefers his way of life, or so he says, he sells near a cash point (ATM)

I've seen him pick up an unnoticed dropped note and give it to the person that dropped it. Admittedly not $500 but honest none the less. I was gob smacked when the well to do woman (judging by her attire) didn't even thank him, let alone offer him some form of reward.

It isn't often I swear in front of a woman let alone at one.

Nuff said SnF

Cody

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The homeless man (Barber) did a wonderful thing...I am just wondering why he turned down people's offers to help him?

I am thinking perhaps he values his independence; and wants to make it on his own.

Also..I have heard that some people prefer to live on the streets...and I just have to wonder why.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Also..I have heard that some people prefer to live on the streets...and I just have to wonder why.

I can't say that living out of my car after turning 18 was really homeless like this. Even some time I spent in shelters after that, wasn't long enough to sit here and say 'I know how that guy feels'. Hardly.. I got a very good taste and far too detailed a look at a side I could have done without.

It wasn't all bad though and that's what I'm replying for. The time I spent during a summer in Rapid City was unforgettable. Not for anything specific, but for the pure, total and unbelievable freedom. No Bills, No Rules, No Obligations and No Responsibilities I didn't CHOOSE to take on, on a day by day basis.
(Paying for that was Day Labor when needed and spot help to a carnival. I didn't qualify for or try to get benefits)

I think some people are homeless by choice because it represents a level of freedom nothing else in this nation can still offer. I think MOST prefer the benefits of conventional life...and you see where I am now. lol...but, there are times.. Well.. Let's just say I have very fond memories of some of that period, while knowing it's past and can never be relived, either.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Now, before reading this story, answer this honestly as to what your answer would have been. If asked whether a Homeless man finding an abandoned wallet with $500 sitting there for the taking would turn it in without so much as a dollar missing ....with no outside reason to fear being caught or encouraged in other ways? How many would have even given 1 out of 10 as a fair guess?

Well actually, I would imagine a homeless man being honest about this over a rich guy. Think about it. Is honesty a hallmark for success? Nope. A homeless person probably wouldn't be homeless if they had the unscrupulous morals that it normally takes to become rich.

I'd trust the panhandler down the street with my wallet more than I would Donald Trump.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

When I was 23 I had a rough time of it

Lost my licence, then my job, then my flat, then my fiancée, all within a few months

I was devastated

So I upped sticks with a plane ticket to Israel for a kibbutz experience £200 in my pocket and a thought of a month to clear my head.

I came back to England 10 years later, older, I'd like to think wiser, and with a wealth of experience behind me that money can't buy. I'd learned 2 new languages, seen an amazing world, been married, divorced, met the current Mrs C (I like to keep her on her toes) had 2 beautiful kids.

Lived on my wits and worked in jobs I would never even have considered to put food in my stomach, begged for money for a plane ticket to the next place.

The freedom was amazing the list of girlfriends endless but mostly

Wow

£200 pounds to start, no responsibility and no real plans

My favourite memories ?

Laying in the deserts at night alone looking up and just being amazed by the stars.

Just took out my box of memories

Thanks Wrabbit

Cody

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

On the upside: absolutely, good on the gentleman being discussed.

Downside? It is a fairly dark assessment of what it means to be "normal" as a human if we are to praise someone for returning something to someone.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Ultimate freedom. No job, no bills, no responsibilities.

Large price to pay for it (not knowing when you'll eat next, etc.), but some choose to.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

If we're talking about people with clarity of mind, I'm guessing they just weren't born with ambition or fear of homelessness. It's not a good or bad thing; it just is what it is. Quite often I get tired of working my butt off just to pay for a roof over my head, but it's the idea of NOT having a roof over my head that keeps me going. Some people don't have that fear - brave, they are.

top topics

join