It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spitzer Sees Long Tail, Strong Gas Emissions From Comet ISON

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

"333 year periodicity ",,is this a fact?. Please at your convienience.

Maybe Shakespear was correct

edit on 24-7-2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Yes! More on the 333 year orbit and 'Shakespeare was correct about what?'

I've been looking forward to seeing Comet ISON. Funny, you rearrange the letters and get comet ONSI, comet NOSI, comet ONSI and comet SION. Just saying. Funny.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Apparantly yes. There is a 333 year orbit. And the last time it went by, almost at perihelion, Krakatoa went off.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy
I'm not taking their word for it,
I'm sick of taking their word for it,

Well, if you're so worked up about it, then DONT take anyone's word for it.
You could at any time since it's discovery, got off your as and rent/buy/borrow a telescope and see for yourself as THOUSANDS of amateur astronomers around the world have already done.

For matters astronomical, there is no hiding a conspiracy. Its in the sky for anyone to see who isnt LAZY.

I think we would be better off looking at the possible 333 year periodicity of this thing,

I think you'd be better of learning how orbits are calculated.
Seriously, its one of those things that has been known for hundreds of years now, and anyone can calculate an orbit for themselves.
Step 1. Dont be lazy, do the observations for yourself.
Step 2. Feed the observations into the calculations, and calculate the orbit.
Step 3. See if the orbit you calculate matches with the "official" orbit already published.

And actually, there is a simpler way.
Step 1. Get a computer program that calculates the positions of objects in the sky, and TYPE FOR YOURSELF the orbital parameters of the object that you're interested in, into the program.
Step 2. Get it to calculate where the object *should* be.
Step 3. Dont be lazy, do the observations for yourself and see if they match.

The reason this works, is that the orbital parameters cannot be hidden. They're in plain text, like an "inclination = 12.554 degrees"

Summary:
There cannot be a stupid 333 year orbit for comet ISON.
The only reason such a dumb idea even exists, is that it is powered by keyboard warriors who are too lazy to get up off their chair, go outside with a telescope, and see for themselves... and assume everyone else is the same.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
What are the chances that the suns gravitational pull will affect its orbit as it passes the sun?

i.e. ISON is planned to fly past earth 65million km away (for example), but after passing the sun that distances halves.....

Is that possible?

Will it pass close enough to the sun for the sun to pull it in? i.e. impact with sun.

You don't understand how orbits work. ISON's orbit is already determined by the Sun's gravity. It's coming here and going to make a close loop around the Sun precisely because of the Sun's gravity. The only thing that would affect that orbit is the gravity of planets, and those have already been taken into the calculations. So there's nothing unexpected that could happen to ISON's orbit on its way here.

Gravity doesn't suddenly pull something in when it gets too close. Celestial mechanics have been worked out hundreds of years ago, and astronomers can tell where something will be in a year, in ten years, in a century, etc.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It will be a beauriful sight to see!
I still remember going out night after night with my children and watching the Hale Bopp Comet due North.

I just wish we lived in a more rural location so there was less light pollution but we do have a telescope this time!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Like all comets, ISON is a dirty snowball made up of dust and [color=gold] frozen gases such as water, ammonia, methane and carbon dioxide.

If they are gasses then where is the spectroscopy?

I'm not taking their word for it,
I'm sick of taking their word for it,

It's not like we-mere-mortals can't understand a spectragraph.
The technology goes back to 1890.

And WTF do they mean by water.
Are they using the fuzzy definition where it actually means frozen methane, that is turned to gas, so that it was never technically water(H2O) but was (CH4)?

I'm mean they haven't said a damn thing really have they.

I think we would be better off looking at the possible 333 year periodicity of this thing,
than reading anything the Hubble custodians are allowed to say about it.
Bunch janitors with forked tongues.

Mike

Maybe it has a periodicity of 322...Bwuahahahaa!

Nah I'm just joking... or am I?! Ahhh!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Never mind, discovered my comment was irrelevant after doing minor research, haha!
edit on 25-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
We are going to see an unusual meteor stream with this comet

Comet ISON Meteor Shower
Wiegert notes another curiosity: "The shower is going to hit our planet from two directions at once." When Earth passes through the debris stream, we will encounter two populations of comet dust. One swarm of dust will be following the Comet ISON into the sun. Another swarm will be moving in the opposite direction, pushed away from the sun by solar radiation pressure. The streams will pepper opposite sides of Earth simultaneously. "In my experience, this kind of double whammy is unprecedented," says Wiegert.

This comet has been traveling in from the Oort Cloud for over 10,000 years and it's trajectory could eject it back into deep space never to be seen again if it survives its encounter with the sun

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

This comet has been traveling in from the Oort Cloud for over 10,000 years,,versus,,,

Apparantly yes. There is a 333 year orbit. And the last time it went by, almost at perihelion, Krakatoa went off. ,,

someone has it wrong,, cant be both.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I"m really looking forward to late fall/early winter this year!

I remember Comet Hale Bopp and Comet Hyakutake. They were awesome.
And this is supposed to be even more spectacular.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
ISON is behind the Sun right now and 4 months from now we should see it emerging big & bright. I'm sure it will be visible in daylight for more than 24 hours...maybe days or weeks!

Comets have always been harbingers of doom. It will be interesting to see how different cultures respond to the sight of such a comet and what events may take place when the comet passes...

Fire and brimstone (meteor shower) will impact Earth from 2 directions! That should be a good show! A Comet of the Century and a double meteor shower all at the same time...and December 21st, 2013 RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL!

The return of the Great Purifier!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Comet ISON

“About 10,000 years ago, Comet ISON left our solar system’s distant shell, a region known as the Oort cloud, and began streaking toward the sun. This November, the icy wanderer will reach the climax of its journey, potentially providing a stunning skywatching show here on Earth.” – Discovery News 07/18/2013

See some of my links on page 1

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantasm
ISON is behind the Sun right now and 4 months from now we should see it emerging big & bright. I'm sure it will be visible in daylight for more than 24 hours...maybe days or weeks!

No.
It will be about magnitude 12 or 13 when it becomes visible again, too faint for anything expect an above average amateur telescope. And it wont be visible in daylight except for a few hours on November 28th. And maybe not even that.

But what it will do will kill this stupid 333 year orbit myth.
Because if it is found where it is expected to be, then the orbit as previously calculated is correct... as it has been all along, so far.

MPC

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Comets have always been harbingers of doom. It will be interesting to see how different cultures respond to the sight of such a comet and what events may take place when the comet passes...

Fire and brimstone (meteor shower) will impact Earth from 2 directions! That should be a good show! A Comet of the Century and a double meteor shower all at the same time...and December 21st, 2013 RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL!

The return of the Great Purifier!

What a great birthday present this will be! (the 21st is mine) I'm really excited to witness this.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

A lot of people are out and about after sunset / before sunrise, especially as it will be autumn / winter then. There will be a lot of people who will see it, provided it becomes a naked-eye comet. And of course it will be on the news, so a lot of people who wouldn't hear about it otherwise will hear about it and go out to see it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Night Sky Hunter
Exciting news!!!, a new comet has just been discovered which could turn into the greatest comet of our lifetime!. Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) is currently magnitude 18 and beyond the orbit of Jupiter, however preliminary observations indicate that the comet will pass close to both the Sun and Earth during the latter half of 2013 when comet ISON could obtain a negative magnitude and become a great comet. In fact, serious calculations already predict a peak brightness anywhere between magnitude - 10 and -15 which is considerably brighter than a full Moon!!. Furthermore the comet could become visible in broad daylight close to the sun during late November!. During post perihelion the comet will move into the W evening sky during December and January when it will become a circumpolar object for observers at northern latitudes and become visible all night long during which time the comet could sport a vast dust tail, some experts have even speculated that the tail unfurled could be the longest ever recorded in history.

''Some further thoughts and speculation on my part concerning the new comet. At the moment the most interesting aspect of this new object to me are the orbital elements' distinct and surprising similarity to those of the Great Comet of 1680. Let me point out that it would seem to me to be a virtual impossibility for this to be just pure coincidence. Let me explain further. Other than true Kreutz Sungrazers, other comets having a q even approaching 0.05 AU are so exceedingly rare that in all of cometary history their number can be counted on less than the fingers of one hand. That the two with by far the smallest recorded values of q should also share even somewhat similar values of L and B strictly by chance seems to me to be mind boggling. And while L and B would indeed result in a great separation in the position of the two comets near aphelion, at the time nearest perihelion passage the orbits may come quite close together and might even be found to cross as the elements of 2012 S1 become better refined (or perhaps those of the 1680 comet could be re-defined?)''

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

No.
It will be about magnitude 12 or 13 when it becomes visible again, too faint for anything expect an above average amateur telescope. And it wont be visible in daylight except for a few hours on November 28th. And maybe not even that.
MPC

Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) is currently magnitude 18 and beyond the orbit of Jupiter, however preliminary observations indicate that the comet will pass close to both the Sun and Earth during the latter half of 2013 when comet ISON could obtain a negative magnitude and become a great comet. In fact, serious calculations already predict a peak brightness anywhere between magnitude - 10 and -15 which is considerably brighter than a full Moon!!. Furthermore the comet could become visible in broad daylight close to the sun during late November!.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) is currently magnitude 18 and beyond the orbit of Jupiter, however preliminary observations indicate that the comet will pass close to both the Sun and Earth during the latter half of 2013 when comet ISON could obtain a negative magnitude and become a great comet. In fact, serious calculations already predict a peak brightness anywhere between magnitude - 10 and -15 which is considerably brighter than a full Moon!!. Furthermore the comet could become visible in broad daylight close to the sun during late November!.

Yes, thats exactly what I said. We agree.
All that text is saying the same thing that I was saying. In late november it will reach a negative magnitude. When it passes close to the sun on the 28th it could be seen during the day. In the latter half of 2013 it will become a great comet.
Yes, all of those things.

Except the brightness is now not expected to get to -10 to -15.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Very excited and hope it lives up to expectation!

One "wonder" if you will that i'd like clearing up...

Comets... do we really know what they are? Has anyone read the idea behind the Black Death in Europe possibly being caused by a comet? .... With it being a year after the whole 2012 craze i just wondered if any doom lover had possible considered this?

I, myself, am not well versed in comets etc. So i couldn't say either way. But i'm sure we'll be fine.. i'm not dooming this post up! I promise! Just pondering

Thanks again!
edit on 25-7-2013 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join