It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are NYC police blasting Darth Vader's (Imperial March) theme song?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

NYPD Vehicles have been spotted on multiple occasions cruising around the city with their windows down, blaring Darth Vader’s infamous theme song.

It seems that some members of the NYPD are able to understand that they aren’t the “good guys”, but unfortunately they seem to be embracing it.

Multiple police cars have been spotted blasting Darth Vader’s theme song from their squad cars, the music that typically signals the entrance of the dark lord and his storm trooper minions.

Anyone else find this a bit disturbing?

Dont know if its widespread but it would seem that its been witnessed by a few people which probably means that there are other incidents which have not been reported.

As it is now, many view the police as ticket writers who generate revenue for the State or JBTs ("Jack Booted Thugs"). Not sure how this would help to improve their image...

And if it is a joke, how exactly is it "funny"?

Gives the motto "Empire State" a whole new meaning.

If they want to amuse or relax the public, how about blasting the theme song from The Andy Griffith Show:

edit on 24-7-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I see this more as Black Comedy.

A black comedy, or dark comedy, is a comic work that employs black humor, which, in its most basic definition, is humor that makes light of otherwise solemn subject matter, or gallows humor.[1] Not to be confused with black humor referring to black people funny (IE The Barber Shop) The definition of black humor is problematic; it has been argued that it corresponds to the earlier concept of gallows humor.[2][3][4][5][6]

The social issues alluded to are certainly serious and important, but to be honest I think this is an attempt by uniformed officers to cope with the terrible stigma they have garnered, rightly so or not.

I would hesitate to say that this is evidence that law enforcement is embracing the dark side, but more of a coping tool to lessen the effect of all the negativity they are being bombarded with.

I to mirror your sentiments on this issue, as this just further increases the disconnect and harms the relationship between the public and law enforcement. This relationship should be built upon mutual respect.

It is kind of funny though.

edit on 24-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Who cares? I know guys who have the Imperial March as their wives' ringtone. It's a decent piece of music, and I don't see any proof in your article.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well, New York is the Empire state, after all.
Maybe they're just playing it to be funny?
Aren't NY cops notorious for their sense of humor?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Must admit I would have laughed If I heard/saw this.
To me it does show some have a sense of humour, maybe those cops are the good guys. I would be more worried about the ones playing the Andy Griffith soundtrack out.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm not sure where you get your quote from that claims:

...Multiple police cars have been spotted blasting Darth Vader’s theme song from their squad cars...

Actually the source you provide makes exactly the opposite claim:

...It's not clear whether the incidents are the work of a single pair of cops or if the practice is more widespread. We reached out to the NYPD for comment and never heard back. ...

With no further evidence provided. And - even if the claims by the eye-witnesses are true; two incidents, months apart can hardly be called "worrying" or worth noting. Let's say today I drive around playing The Ride of the Valkyries at full blast. In two weeks time the song comes up on my iPod again and I turn up the volume full blast again. Is this enough to start a rumor that there is a guy driving around in a Mini kicking Vietnamese butt?

If I wagered a guess, I'd say that it's simply a case of an inside joke by handful of cops... Funny to be honest.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I see this as some sick bastards from the war that are carrying Psyops into America as a personal point of amusement instead of some organized influence or intimidation of hearts and minds. Empire eh? Well..... The Rebellion kicked the tail off the Empire in the end, they'd do well to remember that before aligning themselves with that side of Hollywood lore.

I'd first heard about U.S. patrols doing this in urban Iraqi areas in 2004 as a way to screw with the locals and/or piss them off, depending on which neighborhood and intent at the time. A little Metallica to confuse those who wouldn't know a Bass player from a Bass fish. I have to say the funniest one tho..and I admit, I have DARK humor at times..was the Gitmo method of Music as a form of manipulation. I heard multiple reports from people who'd been down there, early on anyway, saying they had a favorite tune to play on the cell blocks.... Anyone wanna guess which one?

Queen - We are the Champions. ..err.. lol... Can you imagine being in the prisoner position?

Anyway.... This is a military tactic...NOT a Civilian ( 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE' type of civilian at that ), tactic to use against the people. BOOO on the NYPD for tolerating this nonsense.

@Gemwolf

I'd noticed your note above mine..and allowing for it being purely in jest and good humor instead of a dark amusement in intimidating and yanking the chains of the locals by individual units..well? I wouldn't agree with funny, but I'd agree with harmless if that is what it is...just bad judgement I think. The public is near rabidly anti-cop in some places as it is...this isn't real helpful is it?
edit on 24-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Whats the problem,,,,don't you want too bond with your captors :

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Psychological warfare on their own people? People know this song is associated with evil. That movie is incrusted in our culture so consciously you might not think anything of it, you might even have a chuckle. But your subconscious will associate a cop car with evil over time. What they're doing is just wrong on so many levels.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Maybe they were driving around listening to Alex Jones? That's his intro music at the top of every hour, isnt it?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I
I'd first heard about U.S. patrols doing this in urban Iraqi areas in 2004 as a way to screw with the locals and/or piss them off, depending on which neighborhood and intent at the time.

You can say allot of things about the US Army but you cant say they dont have style

As a nerdy historical note the whole idea and style of the Imperial march came from the British habit of basting its Grenadier guards anthem on the old battle fields to intimidate the enemy basically act as a calling card.

Nice to see you yanks have taken up our old ways

edit on 24-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I never used to associate cop cars with negative outcomes or anything automatically bad. The ones here, until recently, were even a nice blue writing/trim on white background in a friendly open scheme for their units. Now they're stark, harsh LAPD style black and white with uniforms likewise changing to the stark Imperial black I've associated with the more hard core big city Departments. Times are changing....and that's not always good.

I know what Gem said..and he makes a good point about individuals and motives in their minds vs. how we see it on this end. Still...they really are their own worst enemies sometimes.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

and

reply to post by XLR8R

I could play that song to my friends and I'd say 4/5 of them won't know what its background is.
I imagine there are many cops driving around playing different songs. There are probably some driving around playing "Bad Boys" or "Jaws" or even "Boom! Shake the room". I'm sure you'll find a Justin Bieber song being played loud in a cop car if you looked hard enough... It's all open to interpretation.
As I said. We are presented with very little evidence of the claims being true, making this whole discussion null and void.

And even if it was a moment (or two) of bad judgement. What would you prefer they play? Paul McCartney's We all stand together?

We don't know the circumstances. We're jumping to conclusions. In other threads we're quick enough to point out that the "Lizard on Mars" is nothing more than a rock. Why do we jump to the worst possible conclusion with less, and very vague "proof" of something? Playing the Imperial march inside a cop car may not help their image in the public eye, but making threads like this with leaps and bounds of assumptions isn't helping either.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
That's pretty creepy.
WTH? Who is in charge of their public relations, Bloomberg?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

And even if it was a moment (or two) of bad judgement. What would you prefer they play? Paul McCartney's We all stand together?

Why do they need to play anything?
How about keeping it quiet so they can sneak up on bad guys! Or hear what is going on around their immediate vicinity???

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That would be great if they were listening to Alex.

Unfortunately, I doubt thats the case.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Well I would argue that its because attitude emanates from the top.

You have a sicko mayor who embraces searches without any probable cause.

They dont believe in the citizen's right to armed self defense.

They want to control what you eat and drink.

It would seem that the heavy handed crackdown/intimidation of OWS protesters was not only permitted but encouraged...

Truly the "Empire" state...

edit on 24-7-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That is messed up; it is Psyops. They continue to instill fear in New Yorkers. And New York is the model city for the urban police state. Look to New York to see precedents tested before implementation across the nation.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Perhaps they are signaling the looming march of the evil emperial NWO globalist empire over all the planet executing UN Agenda 21 DEPOPULATION WW3 and related schemes and evils?

Perhaps they have got the drift that the leaders are exceedingly evil and are throwing in their lot with them?

Perhaps they are winding up fear in the populace as much as they can . . . just like their leaders and the UFO/Fallen angel critters have been doing for decades?

Perhaps they are feeling their evil oats and letting their inner devilishness out given that Bloomberg is increasingly doing the same?

Perhaps they are arrogantly feeling like evil super storm-troopers and exalting in the purported black majesty of it all?

Perhaps they are evily exalting in knowing that the Bill of Rights has been shredded along with the rest of the Constitution and that they will soon be a law unto themselves stomping, storming and squashing all over "the little" people whenever and however it suits them?

Perhaps they are merely trying to destroy what little hearing they have left so they can retire early on a deaf pension?

I give up.

Your take?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Well, I didn't make a statement or jumped to any conclusion. I asked a question. This is a conspiracy site and exploring every possible explanation for an event which intrigues people is what this site was created for. Was it not? If that is in fact what they're doing, don't you think it's wrong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join