It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lichen and fungus on Mars ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
In addition to my other thread about finding "food" on Mars, here is one on the lichens and fungus evidence.

Ok, well I thought I would post a thread about what we consider as plants but you never know if an alien is plant-like. Maybe like The Day of the Triffids perhaps.

These two appear as if they are growing from the rock and to add evidence to this, many blueberry spherules have 'attactment points' on some part of their spherical body. To me they appear like fungus fruiting bodies and the one on the left appears to me as if it has grown there. See the small 'V' shape at 5 o'clock which looks as if the fruiting body has not been able to grow in a completely spherical shape due to the shape of the rock at that point. There is also a slight buildup of debris in the area between 12 and 4 o'clock.

Strangely, this image has a complete 'net' covering over it - as if we are looking through a frosted window. But... hey you know what NASA is like, so nothing new here.

slightly right of centre in this image is a stalk with a fruiting body on the top pointing up at a 45 degree angle (actually I think anything growing would grow towards the light, straight up, like a tree, but this is not). The 'official' image is here

Spherules or "Blueberries" and NOT weathered-out-of-rocks spherules. Look at how very few are on the rocks and most are on the ground beside the rock. Why are some in the cracks in the rocks and why do they sometimes look as if they are growing there.

If they are not fungus, then I think they could be the result of food processing the soil. Rather like some crabs do with the sand here on Earth. These crabs eat the sand and tremove the nutrients from the tiny spaces between the particles. Then they expell the waste as tiny balls. These may be what we are looking at.

Lichen - from wikipedia -

are composite organisms consisting of a fungus (the mycobiont) and a photosynthetic partner (the photobiont or phycobiont) growing together in a symbiotic relationship.

There are images which look extremely like lichen on Mars. I am sure you have seen these before and I am sure people have suggested that it is growing on wood rather than rock, but I feel this is rock with lichen on it. I realise that the blue colour makes us think even more of lichen, but I have seen quite a few lichens on trees and rocks and it does look like it might be. I think I read that some lichens are extremely good at dealing with radioactivity too.

Other images of lichen on Mars
www.nasa.gov...
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It looks like there was water or some liquid in some of those photos. The little balls look like those concretion balls here on earth that form from something rolling down sticky clay or mud. The one picture looks like a piece of wood giving us the finger
We tend to see what we know. It sure looks like some liquid was present at one time there. one rock looks like it is made of dried out cracked mud

I guess I am seeing things that aren't really there. It looks almost like a dried out area around a spring.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
In addition to my other thread about finding "food" on Mars, here is one on the lichens and fungus evidence.

Ok, well I thought I would post a thread about what we consider as plants but you never know if an alien is plant-like. Maybe like The Day of the Triffids perhaps.

These two appear as if they are growing from the rock and to add evidence to this, many blueberry spherules have 'attactment points' on some part of their spherical body. To me they appear like fungus fruiting bodies and the one on the left appears to me as if it has grown there. See the small 'V' shape at 5 o'clock which looks as if the fruiting body has not been able to grow in a completely spherical shape due to the shape of the rock at that point. There is also a slight buildup of debris in the area between 12 and 4 o'clock.

Strangely, this image has a complete 'net' covering over it - as if we are looking through a frosted window. But... hey you know what NASA is like, so nothing new here.

Your image was taken with the MICROSCOPIC IMAGING camera that gives a clue to the look you think is a net
you really need to look into the images more before making your comments!!!

Microscopic Imager--MI is mounted on the robotic arm, which places the MI in contact with the rock surface to take pictures. And like the Pancam, the MI has a one-megapixel sensor. When placed against a rock surface, this sensor can detect details slightly larger than the diameter of a human hair (30 microns). The MI does not have its own light source to illuminate its samples

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about do you

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
its nothing, just dust/smears on the camera lens

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSZOMBIE

Lol. Best answer I've heard all day. That or it's probably just swamp gas.

I have to say that in a couple of those pictures the "rock" sure does look like petrified wood, at least to me, and the background sure does look like free-flowing water. But I'm not a scientist and can only qualify what I see with what I have seen in the past.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Your image was taken with the MICROSCOPIC IMAGING camera that gives a clue to the look you think is a net you really need to look into the images more before making your comments!!!
and so do you.

So, inform me - what IS the "net" effect I am seeing in this image? (I used the word "net" and "frosted window" to describe what effect I was seeing)

If there is a post telling me I should be able to zoom into this image to see particles roughly the width of a human hair, then I want to be able to do that.

Before I get to that zoom level, I expect to see the details in good focus without blurring. When I get to that zoom depth, I expect to see the image start to break up into pixels.

atszombie

its nothing, just dust/smears on the camera lens
and you know this how? If it was then I would expect to see these dust particles or smears to be the same on all images taken by this camera and also NOT to extend over all the image, but it does.
edit on 24 Jul 2013 by qmantoo because: clarity

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

The camera has to take the picture using the AVAILABLE light on the surface I suggest you should take a good look at a site like this Cambridge Colour there are others and learn a little about photography and digital imaging before jumping to MORE wild conclusions.

The camera has a 1 MP sensor here are the dimensions of the picture you linked to 1,024px × 1,024px oh look 1 MP YOU don't zoom in you really NEED to read more before YOU type!!!
edit on 25-7-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

YOU don't zoom in you really NEED to read more before YOU type!!!
Thank you.
So what you are saying is that - without zooming in, these images are clearly showing particles of the size of a human hair? I understand these are used by NASA scientists as stereo pairs to get the perception of depth.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

shared from another MARS related thread qmantoo said to be biological sprayers it is all subjective but it does look like something is being sprayed on something below not sure but...

Originally posted by thetiler
I think the picture that displays actual CURRENT civilization evidence, is the biological sprayer.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It would make perfect sense to have a spray which hardened to produce a fibreglass-like dome and could easily be camoflaged to look like a crater from above. If the aliens are very intelligent, then it is likely they would have camoflage technology better than we do, but it does not look as if they make much effort to hide their civilisations. It is left up to NASA to do the hiding from us by their compression and poor quality images. In the old Lunar Orbiter pictures there were areas which looked as if they were covered in cobwebs or slime.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It would make perfect sense to have a spray which hardened to produce a fibreglass-like dome and could easily be camoflaged to look like a crater from above. If the aliens are very intelligent, then it is likely they would have camoflage technology better than we do, but it does not look as if they make much effort to hide their civilisations. It is left up to NASA to do the hiding from us by their compression and poor quality images. In the old Lunar Orbiter pictures there were areas which looked as if they were covered in cobwebs or slime.

Again do you understand the process used to take and send the pictures or the image quality from the old lunar orbiters

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by qmantoo

shared from another MARS related thread qmantoo said to be biological sprayers it is all subjective but it does look like something is being sprayed on something below not sure but...

NAMASTE*******

That really does depend on HOW you look at an image

Are they spraying now

Another example

Whats this

Is it a rock on the sufrace

Or is it a crater

It all depends how you look at it

edit on 26-7-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
wmd_2008

Again do you understand the process used to take and send the pictures or the image quality from the old lunar orbiters
Yes, I know they were processed on board and transmitted electronically to earth. That did not stop scientists at that time making all kinds of statements about the Moon. If you are arguing that the scientific data is invalid and just plain 'bad science' then this has to also invalidate and science done in the early days using those same transmitted images.

and yes, I realise that sometimes you can see things in those images in better perspective by rotating the images 180 degrees. Occasionally the way that NASA presents its images is totally upside down and dips appear as bumps. I have often had to rotate the images to make sense of what I am seeing. However, this can also work the other way and things may be obscured by rotation too.

Can you please answer my question on the point you raised previously. In your opinion, do the MI images we see CLEARLY (that means without distortion or compression or pixelisation) show particles down to the size of a human hair, since that is what you claimed?
edit on 28 Jul 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

You found the picture go and look up the info, I pasted the text about the camera do some research for yourself that way YOU will learn.

I have been into photography for 30+ years started with a film DSLR fully manual (best way to learn) did a bit of darkroom work before everything went digital, the best way to learn is to do it.

This place has many members that are keen photographers even professionals we do have a good idea what to look for and the conclusions that some others on here jump to regarding images give us a

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
My suggestion that there is plant life on Mars. I have presented evidence in image form that lichen and fungus is growing there.

What is wrong with that suggestion and what is wrong with the evidence presented?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Obviously, there is no real reason why these should not be lichen or fungus growing on Mars since the attacks have been about me rather than rationally discussing the subject matter. Thank you all for pointing out my faults and discrepancies. I bet you feel really good and far superior to me now. Have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Here qmantoo this picture from the Oppertunity MI camera it's 15mm across the image is 1024x1024 pixels ie 1MP.

The sphere in the centre is 112/113 pixels wide so 15/1024 x 113 = 1.655 mm across some of the smaller dots are a pixel across or 0.0146 mm across, a human hair varies but is around 0.0254 mm across .

As the MI camera uses Martian daylight the quality of the pictures can very look for yourself on different mission days.

Hope that answers your camera question.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yes, the quality of this image is excellent I agree. The blueberry is wonderfully clear. Do they actually say this is rock it is sitting on because I dont see signs of the blueberry being weathered out of the rock in this position. Do you? To me, it looks more like it has grown there.
edit on 9 Aug 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yes, the quality of this image is excellent I agree. The blueberry is wonderfully clear. Do they actually say this is rock it is sitting on because I dont see signs of the blueberry being weathered out of the rock in this position. Do you? To me, it looks more like it has grown there.
edit on 9 Aug 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

Who says it's a blueberry

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

.....or maybe there is water contained in the spherules. Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join