It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Breaking] Snowden plans to settle and work in Russia – lawyer to RT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Snowden plans to settle and work in Russia – lawyer to RT

Video included in the reliable RT link.
UPDATE video found on YT - full details included.

Partial Text

NSA leaker Edward Snowden plans to settle in Russia and is ready to begin a court battle if the country’s migration service denies his asylum plea, Anatoly Kucherena, a Russian lawyer who assists the whistleblower, told RT.

“It’s hard for me to say what his actions would be in terms of a positive decision [on the asylum plea],” Kucherena said. “We must understand that security is the number one issue in his case. I think the process of adaptation will take some time. It’s an understandable process as he doesn’t know the Russian language, our customs, and our laws.”

“He’s planning to arrange his life here. He plans to get a job. And, I think, that all his further decisions will be made considering the situation he found himself in,” he added.

Kucherena expressed hope that the whistleblower’s plea will be granted, because the reasons which prompted Snowden ask for political asylum in Russia “deserve attention.”

“He fears for his health and his life. He’s afraid that if he’ll be handed to the US, torture can be used against him down to death penalty,” he said.

In case of a negative ruling on the plea, Kucherena said that Snowden has “an opportunity to go to court and appeal against the decision of the Federal Migration Service.”

“He intends to do so,” the attorney stressed. “During our meeting, our dialogues, and our consultations, he made detailed inquiries on those procedures. And I informed him of what possibilities he has according to Russian law.”

Snowden still remains holed up in the international transit zone of the Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport. His asylum plea, which was filed on July 16, has not been yet formalized by migration officials.

“According to the existing practice, it may take five, seven, or eight days. I’m calling them on a daily basis. They tell me that they’re about to finish the formalization,” Kucherena said.

edit on 23-7-2013 by Lysistrata because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Isn't it ironic that now patriots need to accept political asylum in Russia to be free.

Sadly we now celebrate traitors and prosecute heroes in the US.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
Isn't it ironic that now patriots need to accept political asylum in Russia to be free.

Sadly we now celebrate traitors and prosecute heroes in the US.

I was just going to comment on that very fact in my follow up post. I am absolutely amazed that this kind of a reversal could have happened. I grew in the Cold War years when the Russians were the enemy of the United States. Now the USA is the enemy of the entire world.

So - I am not surprised at Snowden's defection. I will also not be surprised at his close friend and confidant Glenn Greenwald's defection given the fact that he is an avowed communist. What a waste.

Please - Do not think for one minute that Russia is free of its Marxist/Leninist past.

BTW - My use of the antiquated cold war terminology is not without its irony as well - i.e., "defection" as opposed to one who seeks asylum - there is a distinction there.

edit on 23-7-2013 by Lysistrata because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Really?

Patriot who is going to live and work in the Russian mafia?

That is some 'Patriot'.

Snowden will just be spying for Russia now.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually it could be worse than spying; if he knows the nuts and bolts of NSA collection (which I doubt) he could basically give the Russian's the wrench on how to dismantle or infect part of the system. Kinda like we did with Iran and their nuclear program last year.

The Russians are smart so I would think they will run some babe (think female James Bond) by him to fall in love with, which will cement his ties to the Russian Federation and give him a sense of belonging ect ect. If he is gay they will figure out something no doubt!

Russia has some very beautiful women and many speak English so he would get a tutor, girlfriend, and sneaky little darling all rolled in one!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Spying for Russia - Spying for America
I see no difference!

Just imagine a world without spies, without war, without greed, without corporate monsters, without maniacal leaders....

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Just a question.
I didn't really follow-up on the story after his first releases.
After that i just saw some headlines, he was going to South America, then he stays in Russia, he was back in China, flown again to Russia,...
Is there an actual up-to-date story or (video)interview with him to show if he is still alive?
Just a question.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The Russians are smart so I would think they will run some babe (think female James Bond) by him to fall in love with, which will cement his ties to the Russian Federation and give him a sense of belonging ect ect. If he is gay they will figure out something no doubt!

How smart can they be?

Acting like Snowden was some kind of revelation.

Us Spies on Russia
Russia Spies on the US

Been that way since the end of WW2.

Russia has some very beautiful women and many speak English so he would get a tutor, girlfriend, and sneaky little darling all rolled in one!

Maybe maybe not as Russia is famous for its plutonium poisioning assassination once people have outlived their usefulness deleivered by one of those beautiful women

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by neo96

Spying for Russia - Spying for America
I see no difference!

Just imagine a world without spies, without war, without greed, without corporate monsters, without maniacal leaders....

The world has never been that way.

Never spying is as old as 'civilization' is itself.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysistrata

I couldn't have said it better -
Role Reversal: How the US Became the USSR Paul Craig Roberts Infowars.com July 24, 2013

Quoting myself

I was just going to comment on that very fact in my follow up post. I am absolutely amazed that this kind of a reversal could have happened. I grew in the Cold War years when the Russians were the enemy of the United States. Now the USA is the enemy of the entire world.

=====================================================================================
Here's another 'reversal' that relates to the article posted above. Hayden is the worst of all traitors who has the audacity to accuse Snowden of treason - claiming that Snowden is worse, in fact, than all other American traitors combined. The ultimate reversal!

Former NSA Head: [General Michael Hayden] Snowden Is Worse Than Every American Traitor In History-
Says journalist is “co-conspirator” in constitution-trampling rant - Steve Watson Prisonplanet.com July 22, 2013

edit on 24-7-2013 by Lysistrata because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Apparently Snowden has been granted entry by the Russian Immigration services and will leave the airport today. Really interesting to see the White House commenting on this, i bet people will be furious

top topics

join