Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

An idea for spacetravel?

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So I was thinking about ways to travel mainly to get off this planet in my life time and I think I know of a lot but probably not all so I was wondering if this is an entirely new concept or idea for space travel. I'm sorry I'm not good in physics nor is English my primary language. My idea is different perhaps because to the public it should appear like a robot is sent into space and then after a few decades an elevator would appear and take people to the spacestation. Which doesn't go anywhere but can support life and people can continue to work on propulsion there with everybody they like.

The 'spaceship' consists of different parts, a launchpad (on the north or south pole) which consists of 2 parts, a giant car antannae like building and an anchoring site with a partially underground rotor for tension on the cable. Inside the building is a long cable (much like a fishing rods reel partially underground) and when the building protracts itself like the car antannae it can be stretched to the ground and then with the push of a button let go so it catapults the pod with the robot in it. Where it ends up is a guess but it'll be space no doubt. If it hits a planet, it would mean the construction is too tight or the launch was at the wrong moment or wrong area but in time people will understand how to operate it. It might work best on the south pole because of the cables which would land with force somewhere unpredictable so retracting the cable would mean the area it could land is smaller so it's safer but it could be done without I suppose.

It would use the force of gravity much like catapults only more like modern electrically powered and the difference with a catapult is that this is with two parts rather than one. It must be built on the north or southpole in case anything goes wrong like the cable snaps and falls on houses below or because the vibrations during launch might cause earthquakes. It should retract and protract so not to cause much wobbles in the earth trajectory nor would it catch wind etc., it might even work better on a huge platform which can provide an elevation and also an angle so the pods can be launched more precise. It could run on solar power so no need for precious one usage fuels, the rotor would need it to tighten the cable.

It could be used as a weapon as well, to throw nukes around the globe with some calculations but with modern day computers and software once it's there it should work. I'd rather would like this idea be used for peace so people can launch robots in space which can gather resources for all of humanity and build spacestations, all remotely controlled where everyone can live once the earth is either full or uninhabitable either because of pollution, war or food or other problems due to shortage of space.

I might make a graphic of it and post it in this thread lateron, but before I use my paint skills I thought I'd check if this is feasible at all and possibly if so how likely it is such a construction could work to get humanity into space.




posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I thought of an idea. It involves manipulating the ever expanding universe. If the universe is expanding then technically we are part of that web that is expanding and if we manipulate that (whether it be antimatter tech or other unknown science etc), maybe we can jump to different points in the universe space-time continuum.

Just a thought!



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79
 


It would be easier to just build a giant bullet and the pod is the projectile i think the british government once researched something like this after they was testing a series of underground nuclear blasts, and a man hole cover was shot 1000s of feet into the sky, i dont think they ever found the man hole cover lol.but it did inspire ideas how to get into space.



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79
 


Very interesting.

This thread made me think of the Space Elevator.



Some cool ideas my friend.



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent
 


You mentioned firing a manhole cover into space by nuclear detonation. This might be the one you were thinking of. I'd actually written a thread about it, given the rather unique nature of the event.

A Nuclear Weapon did that??

They estimate the steel plate reached a speed of 66 km/sec, which is plenty to go right off into deep space. lol.... Odds are that atmospheric friction melted it into a little blob before it landed back in the desert somewhere ...but it's interesting to imagine, as I put in the thread, some poor ET finds our missing plate some day by accident. Splat. lol



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent
 


I saw a documentary about that. very interesting indeed!



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by combatmaster
I thought of an idea. It involves manipulating the ever expanding universe. If the universe is expanding then technically we are part of that web that is expanding and if we manipulate that (whether it be antimatter tech or other unknown science etc), maybe we can jump to different points in the universe space-time continuum.

Just a thought!


However, it is not certain this web of yours came out of it's own existence or somebody made it. If it is the latter then you must ask permission first so you need a radio first then you need to find the guy who owns the web and ask permission and ofcourse his rules and maybe then you can jump around. But this thread is not about communications specifically, I thought of leaving a trail of satellites to relay a signal normally out of range, in essence starting a web of our own so it saves a lot of hassles.
edit on 23/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
reply to post by Dragonfly79
 


It would be easier to just build a giant bullet and the pod is the projectile i think the british government once researched something like this after they was testing a series of underground nuclear blasts, and a man hole cover was shot 1000s of feet into the sky, i dont think they ever found the man hole cover lol.but it did inspire ideas how to get into space.


Yes, well speaking from my side that is how they do it on the other side. I wonder how people of the New World or the USA would try to do it.



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
reply to post by Dragonfly79
 


Very interesting.

This thread made me think of the Space Elevator.



Some cool ideas my friend.




It is something like that except non-astronauts would some day get swept away by such an elevator which begins on the newly built spaceship, it doesn't begin on the planet in my scenario altough there might be a platform for elevation. Or we could send people to the Himalayas or something and there they'll be collected or transported to their new home in space. We could even have spots made for them, based on birthdate for generation, place of birth, town or family, sexual preference and then religion because all the space homes would be divided and assigned by then from Earth.
edit on 23/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The idea I always heard for the space elevator was that it would be based somewhere near the equator, and the cable would extend out past geosynchronous orbit with some sort of weight at the end to counteract the force of gravity.

But you got me thinking. Could a variant on the space elevator work like this? Based on the poles, two cables extending in opposite directions, each swung around like a lasso in low earth orbit. perhaps atmospheric drag would make that impossible. The more I think about it the less I think it would work.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Tearman because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a giant slingshot,. with booster rockets tied to your back,. once you hit the final layer of atmosphere hit the engines and your off,... to where ever,. ummm just a one way trip tho...



posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfly79

Originally posted by combatmaster
I thought of an idea. It involves manipulating the ever expanding universe. If the universe is expanding then technically we are part of that web that is expanding and if we manipulate that (whether it be antimatter tech or other unknown science etc), maybe we can jump to different points in the universe space-time continuum.

Just a thought!


However, it is not certain this web of yours came out of it's own existence or somebody made it. If it is the latter then you must ask permission first so you need a radio first then you need to find the guy who owns the web and ask permission and ofcourse his rules and maybe then you can jump around. But this thread is not about communications specifically, I thought of leaving a trail of satellites to relay a signal normally out of range, in essence starting a web of our own so it saves a lot of hassles.
edit on 23/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)


You dont understand.... when i said 'web' i meant that there is something that connects everything in the universe because the universe is expanding, so, imagine a piece of chewed gum that we stretch.... thats the universe (kinda) if we are a spec of dust on it. and personally i believe that the answer lies in antimatter. I guess im unknowingly hinting at space/time travel in the sense of teleportation.

I dont follow you when you talk about the guy who owns this... lol does somebody own gravity? or atmoic behaviour? how could one own/create the properties the drive the ever-expanding universe?



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman
The idea I always heard for the space elevator was that it would be based somewhere near the equator, and the cable would extend out past geosynchronous orbit with some sort of weight at the end to counteract the force of gravity.


That's not what I said, I said we should use the antennae construction to catapult robots in pods into space so they can go mine on some other planet/meteorite and build robots and spacestations in space which will be built around the earth and from there the elevator should be build with the rotor to retract it in the upper stratosphere/space. Even current satellites could be attached to the construction or it could be a spaceship with an elevator.


But you got me thinking. Could a variant on the space elevator work like this? Based on the poles, two cables extending in opposite directions, each swung around like a lasso in low earth orbit. perhaps atmospheric drag would make that impossible. The more I think about it the less I think it would work.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Tearman because: (no reason given)


My idea doesn't concern two poles.



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
a giant slingshot,. with booster rockets tied to your back,. once you hit the final layer of atmosphere hit the engines and your off,... to where ever,. ummm just a one way trip tho...


There are no booster rockets, it's all solar powered with batteries, it's a slingshot construction.

To all readers, please read the OP better before responding. It is supposed to be a one way trip to get robots into space or on Mars and they can be remotely controlled and build the go***** spacestation in space, not on earth *** ***** ** *****
edit on 24/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by combatmaster
You dont understand.... when i said 'web' i meant that there is something that connects everything in the universe because the universe is expanding, so, imagine a piece of chewed gum that we stretch.... thats the universe (kinda) if we are a spec of dust on it. and personally i believe that the answer lies in antimatter. I guess im unknowingly hinting at space/time travel in the sense of teleportation.

I dont follow you when you talk about the guy who owns this... lol does somebody own gravity? or atmoic behaviour? how could one own/create the properties the drive the ever-expanding universe?


Perhaps because we could be for all we know in some sector where some alien lives who doesn't care about us until we start messing with what he or she thinks/believes is his/her web? Nobody might even notice when two scientists who believe they made some scientific breakthrough but decided not to tell anyone because of money and fame and all and they would be found dead because of a heart attack when they succeeded in tapping into that web, then instantly aliens appear and they both get killed and the aliens leave again without telling anyone because of the hassle of making first contact and all, you know because.
edit on 24/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean. Is it something like one of these?



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79
 


Yes, I guess nothing is impossible ,technically speaking.



posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfly79


The 'spaceship' consists of different parts, a launchpad (on the north or south pole) which consists of 2 parts, a giant car antannae like building and an anchoring site with a partially underground rotor for tension on the cable. Inside the building is a long cable (much like a fishing rods reel partially underground) and when the building protracts itself like the car antannae it can be stretched to the ground and then with the push of a button let go so it catapults the pod with the robot in it.


This is how I imagine it:



I think that is the idea, in theory.



posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I tried my best but have limited paint skills.



The idea is a chain between two points, one like a car antenna which can retract and bend with the chain on the inside of the antenna. On both ends there are electric powered devices which can control the chain inbetween the two points for control so enough momentum can be gained but also in case it would ever hit the surface due to miscalculations and demolishes some houses or area or in case it ever might snap. The figure isn't actual scale ofcourse, I lack in the physics department so sorry for any headaches.



I used Petman for humor but any robot with arms and fingers which are mobile will do. Those will mine on for example Mars and build a factory there to build more robots and eventually another slingshot construction to launch parts or pods into space for an advanced construction base or spaceship construction yard. The spaceship will then fly back to Earth once it is finished. There's no need for a colony, it can all be done remotely and save a lot of time and problems with gravity and gforces but also oxygen, food and waste. This scenario doesn't involve any heroes except for those who remotely control some of the robots for the finer work like assembling the factory or other machines.

So, in a nutshell, catapult pods with robots to Mars, remote control those or program them in advance, then those can mine on Mars and build a factory to construct more and a new catapult to launch pods in orbit of Mars so there can be an ISS like spacestation or better (without life support), from there a construction site in orbit could be build to create a spaceship which can fly back and forth, eventually building a huge spaceship for use as living space or when there are better engines.

The robots might be catapulted to other planets with possible resources or places to live with enough advanced calculations which theoretically can be done with the use of computers. Then colonies might be build in advance and people would just have to be transported, in stasis if necessary or even as DNA so at least our civilization might continue at it's current level of technology.
edit on 25/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)
edit on 25/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent
 


You mentioned firing a manhole cover into space by nuclear detonation.
They estimate the steel plate reached a speed of 66 km/sec, which is plenty to go right off into deep space. l


Maybe one day using that concept it could be configured on an asteroid or something like a mobile platform in space?
And maybe combine the detonation with a spring board type action for more momentum?
Then once it gets going fire your propulsion systems and launch around a planet's gravitational field for max speeds.

Just speaking in maybes lol





new topics




 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join