It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUD to study racial makeup of every neighborhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
In an attempt to eliminate "segregation"
weaselzippers.us...

“This proposed rule represents a 21st century approach to fair housing, a step forward to ensuring that every American is able to choose to live in a community they feel proud of – where they have a fair shot at reaching their full potential in life,” said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan.

“For the first time ever,” Donovan added, “HUD will provide data for every neighborhood in the country, detailing the access African American, Latino, Asian, and other communities have to local assets, including schools, jobs, transportation, and other important neighborhood resources that can play a role in helping people move into the middle class.”

People of every race will normally segregate themselves from different races.
edit on 23-7-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

So then what?
Deliberately mix them all up?
And what about the fuzzy boundaries? Who decides who belongs with what race?
The problem with racial mapping is that it involves clear distinctions, which is a form of segregation.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

How are we supposed to have a colorblind society when the government agencies are doing everything that they can to point out the colors?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

So then what? Deliberately mix them all up?

Don't be surprised if they try to do it.
Telling people where they may buy a home or not, which neighborhoods they are allowed to move into.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

(gasp).......what a profoundly racist statement sir!!!!! We should all be forced to live with each other so we can all prove how we aren't racist!!! Every white person should vote for the black guy next election to prove they aren't racist as well!!!

Just kidding, I agree with you, even if it is not P.C. to do so.

Human brains evolved with the tribal mentality and it is alive and well today in modern man.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Sadly I agree with you. I hate how a lot of people have tribal mentalities. To be honest I only know so little about human psychology.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

That is a fact.

The issue isn't really about self segregation at all. It's about access to government services. Sure, the government didn't make all those poor families cluster together into segregated areas, but once those areas see a decline in services that isn't matched by a decline in services in other areas, it becomes an issue.

I don't think there's any single stop gap solution, but ensuring even the poorest people have the same access to services that everyone else does, is a first step. I'm not saying this plan will help that goal at all.

If you want an example, I could give you one. Banks. You don't see a lot of banks in "the ghetto". Is it because they are poor? Probably. Does it matter that minorities predominately make up the poor? In all matters of fairness, no, it doesn't matter. But when you've got a poor neighborhood of minorities with less access to social services that a less colorful neighborhood has, you've got some issues of inequality in general, that can easily be painted and used to stoke racial divides.

I don't see what finding out the racial makeup of places would really do, it shouldn't matter at all as long as there is equal access to services. Right now there isn't, but I don't believe it's entirely based on race. But I'm biased, I couldn't possibly base something like that on race, so it's hard for me to see the government institute it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Telling people where they may buy a home or not, which neighborhoods they are allowed to move into.

Yeah, that policy has really eased the racial tensions in Israel, where that is government policy.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, that policy has really eased the racial tensions in Israel, where that is government policy.

I can't say that the busing of school children in the 60's was a big success either.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

They do this every census. People segergate themselves by race, economic status, etc.

Now if the government tries to forcibly integrate, there will be problems. Big problems

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Good to know our Racist in Chief is on the task....

[/sarcasm off]

Why don't we just mandate everyone paint their house while we're at it, so we can tell what race everyone is? See how ridiculous it sounds?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hud can't actually fix it by forcibly integrating.

It doesn't work that way.
You have to have a strong secure middle class out in the real world (as opposed to legislated fairness)

As the actual world continues to progress and communities get more stable jobs and more diversity in the economic base, you will see neighborhoods becoming less racially segregated and more segregated by economic buying power.

For example,
Houston has been listed at the number 1 spot on Forbes list of coolest cities to live in. (Granted, it's Forbes, and economy/business are high on their list of cool things) But among the reasons for Houston's rankings are a high diversity index.
Houston

One of the things that researchers have found out about Houston was that the diversity is highest in the suburbs. The most segregated neighborhoods were in and around downtown. This may indicate that the bigger the middle class the less race matters when choosing your neighbors.

This is a good sign in the grand scheme of things as it indicates that more and more, middle class families will choose homes based on job location and economic similarity and less based on race if given the chance.

Race will always play a part to some small degree but seeing a successful middle class integrate is great news for people who really want racial equality.

This is what we want right? Integration, equality, a growing middle class made up of all races?

Now, If the average American can just figure out what party supports a strong and diverse middle class with a strong US based workforce and economic self motivation for the individual......

Nope.

I'm drawing a blank.

edit on 23-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

top topics

join