It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Irony

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
One thing i find funny about Americans is their scepticism towards their government/potus, yet every time USA decides to wage war overseas at least 50% of Americans support it, in the very beginning at least

Here are a few examples

August 1965, 61% answered NO to the following question :

In view of developments since we entered the fighting in Vietnam, do you think the U.S. made a mistake sending troops to fight in Vietnam?"

May 2003

A Gallup poll made on behalf of CNN and USA Today concluded that 79% of Americans thought the Iraq War was justified

Why is that ?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

Why is that ?

Maybe because polls are as rigged as elections?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Ironic to a greater or lesser extent... yup.

My feeling, though, is that presidents are almost at the mercy of the monied as much as the "commoners" are.

It's likely recent presidents are more figureheads than they were intended to be at the outset of this government's founding.

The idea that we are really under the thumb of an evil cabal is true in a way, but that group of true rulers are "just" the super rich and those that work with/for them in hopes of table scraps. No shifting reptiles, old gods or religious groups are necessary.

The rich industrialists and their lobbying efforts (and any other nefarious dealings they may or may not be involved with) are at the real, obvious core of rot in the American republic and around the world.

We even had a few presidents say this from time-to-time. Not to lessen any failings of Obama, but he's only the visible part of an ugly, ugly system called (fascistic) capitalism. This system of unrestrained greed is either gonna kill us, or spur us to abandon it.

Even the think tanks who project the probable don't have a rosy view of our future if we keep doing what we are doing. So death and societal collapse is one extreme end game with simple miserable injustice as the other. I vote for option three... or four.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

yet every time USA decides to wage war overseas at least 50% of Americans support it, in the very beginning at least

So very true a few words in that hypnotic voice from the gov. and there they go all the followers all pro whatever they are told, that is why I know we have no chance at change whatsoever!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

As citizens of the oldest democracy on earth

RT cringes

Seriously we are a "Republic" at best.

I painfully read the rest.

Hey but most people are so caught up in materialism, work, mortgages, reality shows and caught up in self-inflicted chaos maybe they'll never notice how stupid the proclamation sounds.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

But we must reject the notion that those who live in distant places do not yearn for freedom, self-determination, dignity, and the rule of law, just as we do.

Been posted several times. Cant hurt for another.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
They are going to tighten the grip on the American population. Big things are in the works. It is a joke to them how docile the people have become. They don't care about the American citizens and what they want. They don't even try to hide the underhanded things they do anymore.

When the U.S.A. is totally bankrupt and the people realize that the nations gold is gone as well as many other nations gold, things are going to go to hell very quickly. The American people and the rest of the world will find out who really controls the military. And they will try to take it all. The whole World. Its what they have been planning all along.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

Why is that ?

Allright.

So the following pole was also rigged?!

August 2007
On August 6–8, CNN polled 1,029 adults nationwide. 33% said they favored the war in Iraq, 64% opposed

You cant invade another country without having a majority of your citizens supporting the invasion. It's impossible.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

The UK followed you all in despite the public wanting not too.
Governments will do as they please, they do what the money men want them to do.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

To answer your initial question: I suppose it's a lot like being in a family. My family and I fight like there's no tomorrow. Put us in a room long enough and war will erupt quickly. However let an outsider so much as be slightly disrespectful to any of us, at all... and we unite just long enough to eliminate the outside threat.

At least that's my basic take on it.

Regarding the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, national opinion was highly polarized by the events of 9/11 - exacerbating that tribal sense of mutual protectiveness.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtooDetoo

Why is that ?

Allright.

August 2007
On August 6–8, CNN polled 1,029 adults nationwide. 33% said they favored the war in Iraq, 64% opposed

You cant invade another country without having a majority of your citizens supporting the invasion. It's impossible.

64% opposed in THAT poll didn't stop them, did it? And other polls were in favor of the war. It depends on how the question is asked, who is being polled and who's doing the counting.

But the military industrial complex doesn't have to care about what the people want anyway. Neither does congress. Polling is kind of a works project for political junkies who can't do anything useful.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

August 2007

If you think 1,000 adults is a fair "cross-section" than I have a bridge for you. Polls are conducted to get a certain "feel". I want a "left" leaning one, I go conduct it in a major metropolis such as New York or Detroit. You want a "right" leaning one? Go to the mid-west farm towns. Point being, 1000 people do not define 300 million of us.

That is why polls are a sham.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Heff, it's like National Bakers Week. What's the problem? You're outraged because you think we don't have enough freedom here and to hell with a national week for freedom? Americans are about as free as they are every going to be. And likely as free as they have ever been. We are just more aware now.

Much of the outrage over dwindling freedom has to do with data gathering. It's a new world. If you're going to play you're going to pay. Internet, devices that pinpoint our every move. You want freedom? Throw the junk in the garbage. Live outside that world. Sign on to a connected life. Live with what it is.

Everybody talks about a police state, but I haven't seen it yet. You want police state go back to '50's be a black man living in the south. You'll see police state.

We live in a new world, that everyone kind of likes. The fact that we can track identify, and watch most of us means that we will. Get used to it, get smart, get stealthy. Or rise up in righteous rebellion and destroy the whole construct.

Just be careful what you wish for because you might get it. And I hope everyone can see that what you get is not going to be much fun.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Eisenhower also warned of being held captive by a Authoritarian Military Industrial Complex

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just...wow

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Well said Heff! You have a real gift for so eloquently describing the plainly obvious. Hopefully someone at the CIA or NSA will send your letter "up the chain" for consideration, even if only to lend some credence to the President's words, ironically, but that probably won't happen and your rebuttal will fall on deaf ears that stick out a bit..

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Why is that ?

Allright.

August 2007

Yep first off its CNN

Second off the majority of people in this country don't even vote.

So yea rigged poll

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Granite

And that has bearing here how? Is there a law that says I have to be 100% for or 100% against anything? Is there any reason I cannot adapt and change my position over time?

FTR I am also the guy who posted this a few months later.

Funny... folks seem to use the term "Obamabot" so often - and yet it seems that NOT being one is a way to become a target as well?

You're going to have to try harder.

They really do have to don't they?

Given the multitude of errors on the part of the current Potus they would rather discuss posters?

There is some more American Irony.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

DAMN IT! THIS COUNTRY IS NOT, I SAID IS NOT A democracy! AND ANY YING YANG THAT TAKES AN OATH TO UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION AND SAYS THAT THIS COUNTRY IS A DEMOCRACY, NEEDS TO STEP DOWN OR BE FRICKIN REMOVED. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THIS COUNTRY AND HAVE NO BUSINESS HOLDING ANY OFFICE WHOSE JOB IT IS TO RUN THIS COUNTRY!

THIS COUNTRY IS A REBUBLIC! GO AHEAD YOU YING YANG, SAY THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, what's that, "to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS". YOU STUPID JACKASS, HOW CAN YOU RUN A COUNTRY YOU TOOK AN OATH TO SERVE WHEN YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT IT HAS? REALLY ANSWER THAT QUESTION!!!!!!!!

Before you answer the question let me help you out a little. IT'S A DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC!!! Democratic is a descriptive word, aka: an adjective. Democracy is a noun, aka mob rule. In a democracy it does not matter what the law of the land says, it only matters what the majority says. THE US IS A REPUBLIC WHICH IS THE RULE OF LAW, enter THE US CONSTITUTION!!! This country carries the descriptive word "democratic" with it because there was a time when evil, greedy bastards like yourself were not in charge and who ever got the most votes was in office, kind of like the mob ruled. Their is another place where democracy rules, it's called WAR!

Are you declaring war on those you are to be serving? You do know that a democracy does NOT mean the majority of the money right?

edit on 23-7-2013 by BelieveInEnoch because: 2 more questions

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BelieveInEnoch

DAMN IT! THIS COUNTRY IS NOT, I SAID IS NOT A democracy! AND ANY YING YANG THAT TAKES AN OATH TO UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION AND SAYS THAT THIS COUNTRY IS A DEMOCRACY, NEEDS TO STEP DOWN OR BE FRICKIN REMOVED. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THIS COUNTRY AND HAVE NO BUSINESS HOLDING ANY OFFICE WHOSE JOB IT IS TO RUN THIS COUNTRY!

THIS COUNTRY IS A REBUBLIC! GO AHEAD YOU YING YANG, SAY THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, what's that, "to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS". YOU STUPID JACKASS, HOW CAN YOU RUN A COUNTRY YOU TOOK AN OATH TO SERVE WHEN YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT IT HAS? REALLY ANSWER THAT QUESTION!!!!!!!!

Before you answer the question let me help you out a little. IT'S A DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC!!! Democratic is a descriptive word, aka: an adjective. Democracy is a noun, aka mob rule. In a democracy it does not matter what the law of the land says, it only matters what the majority says. THE US IS A REPUBLIC WHICH IS THE RULE OF LAW, enter THE US CONSTITUTION!!! This country carries the descriptive word "democratic" with it because there was a time when evil, greedy bastards like yourself were not in charge and who ever got the most votes was in office, kind of like the mob ruled. Their is another place where democracy rules, it's called WAR!

Are you declaring war on those you are to be serving? You do know that a democracy does NOT mean the majority of the money right?

Yes but if the "mob" as you call them start to think they rule, as a "mob" of individuals where individual Civil Liberty IS the Guiding Light and Principal - then the pressure's being applied in the right direction, unto a democratic implosion and transformation of Washington, at all levels, undoing all of this insane policy and lawmaking and in the process restoring the country to a true Democratic Republic where the SHOUT of "we the people" conquors all, because a "quiet revolution" isn't quiet and there has to be alot of shouting, but in the right direction, where it counts, and if "they" do not listen (don't get and read Heff's letter), then WE must SHOUT SOME MORE, not you who clings to the status quo and fears a socio-political upheaval.

We ARE at war, a propaganda war for the dumbed down mind and hearts of the hoard and the mob. What we're up against is idiocy and lunacy and a permissive framework for all manner of corruption and madness.

And soon a rising tide of civil conscious awareness will fill the pyramid until that eye opens in surprize to discover that it's toppling and turning upside down!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join