It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Irony

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I've actually been doing a bit of research and it appears that the argument can be made for America being the oldest continuous participatory democracy.

Just not in the way one might think.

Iceland seems to have a fairly strong claim as well, dating back to 930 AD.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Do you think Obama used his "Scholarly" know-how to make this claim?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I've actually been doing a bit of research and it appears that the argument can be made for America being the oldest continuous participatory democracy.

Just not in the way one might think.

Iceland seems to have a fairly strong claim as well, dating back to 930 AD.

Either way he is wrong as we were founded as a constitutional republic that has been twisted in to 'mob might makes right'.

He should know that.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

except for the implementation of the Patriot Act, PRISM and foreign policy.

That was an extension of an ALREADY PREXISTING LAW the FISA ACT.

And Eisenhower said quite a bit in that speech that gets cherry picked so often:

Progress toward these noble goals is persistently threatened by the conflict now engulfing the world. It commands our whole attention, absorbs our very beings. We face a hostile ideology -- global in scope, atheistic in character, ruthless in purpose, and insidious in method. Unhappily the danger is poses promises to be of indefinite duration. To meet it successfully, there is called for, not so much the emotional and transitory sacrifices of crisis, but rather those which enable us to carry forward steadily, surely, and without complaint the burdens of a prolonged and complex struggle -- with liberty the stake. Only thus shall we remain, despite every provocation, on our charted course toward permanent peace and human betterment.

Gee that sounds familiar

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

coursesa.matrix.msu.edu...

That gets twisted by political ideological hatred for corporations, and clearly the only thing they want to do is sell death, and destruction.

That is no better than what Obama said imo.

The hilarious part there is?

Eisenhower is the time of NSA and its spying globally the cold war era began.
edit on 23-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
what a joke

edit on 23-7-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

From the White House site

Proclamation -- Captive Nations Week, 2013

CAPTIVE NATIONS WEEK, 2013
- - - - - - -
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

As citizens of the oldest democracy on earth,

Stop reading right there as I fell on the floor with legs in the air laughing hysterically at the historical delusion.

The sad part is I bet there are millions of US citizens who actually believe that......sheesh. The"rest of the world does not exist" syndrome....

edit on 23/7/2013 by yorkshirelad because: tags out of synch

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
For a man as educated as he is, he sure says a lot of stupid things.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I, for one, am absolutely outraged.

Mr President, We, the People, are not fools. The fact that you, Sir, managed to fool many of us only implies that we were desperate for hope... NOT that we are stupid.

Here is where you and many others keep getting hung up (or at least appear to be if these postings are genuine).

They aren't talking to you. They aren't talking about you. They are talking about "themselves" and to "themselves" in the same way we talk in front of our pets while they are in the same room.

Just because "we" appear to use the same words doesn't mean we're having the same conversation.... or that we're even involved in the conversation. We may say "ball" in front of our pets, but most of the time we aren't actually talking to or about our pet. Even when we are... we try to make it very clear when we are talking to them yet the pets still don't always understand us or remotely grasp the full message contained in our word choices.

The group of people that are being referred to in that writing are in fact getting every single thing they say they are... and those it is truly meant for know who they are. The rest of us might believe it also includes us, but it includes us as much as a family move involves the opinion of the pet. If we voluntarily help their goals just because we think we're "in the club"... all the better.

Best of luck to everyone.
edit on 23-7-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don’t get it…

Why everyone put the blame fingers at POTUS while all of you knowing that the all laws have to go thru senate and congress first! Obama just sign under the pre-determined orders like everything else happening in the US of A while he is forced to do it.

Blame the damn (infected/infiltrated with AIPAC) congress, not the Obama, he has no balls of course but the last one I remember got himself assassinated.

Great post however.. S&F for you Heff.

edit on 23-7-2013 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

so the white house puts out comedy pieces now?

...how novel...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hear hear!.

You said it all succinctly. At least, at the very least, people are awakening to this ''irony''.

We can only hope the world becomes a better place soon, as everything the good people have worked long and hard for over many many years has been fast unraveling.

Governments running away with the goods, leaving the majority suffering has to be something the majority realises and acts upon for constructive good.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Obama is my greatest disappointment in politics. I voted for him, got misty-eyed when he won (I actually worked as an intern for John McCain many years ago) (before interns had fun!) and took the day off from work to watch his inauguration. I sucked up that hope and change like a brand new Hoover. I really felt he would change our country. Unfortunately, he did. I lecture those who don't vote and now find myself partially responsible for this mess, and ashamed to be an American.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A shoemaker is called a cobbler wrabbit....

Sorry, I just had to.. I will be quiet now.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
For a man as educated as he is, he sure says a lot of stupid things.

He is no doubt intelligent and educated but the problem is he really has an amateur staff. I am sure he doesn't write his own propaganda, just gives his speech writers some talking points. I had always heard Iceland was the oldest democracy and the rest is just cognitive dissonance. I think it incredibly arrogant to think we are stupid, but maybe we are, we are allowing this so I guess that does make them superior.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Applaud! that speech was so good I would put you in the white house, had I but the power to do so!
you included everything in my heart, you could add oil in there somewhere perhaps

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Aren't you the ATS member who started an Obama re-election thread at 3PM EST with a title "It's Over...Obama Wins!!!...???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thought so...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

How many truths can we ALL find to be self evident today?

Whatever seems reasonable and free and obvious to us is usually not the word of the law today but just the opposite of what we would think the law to be.

I am thinking this looks like a message to announce the near future 'shelling into freedom" of some nations.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
So America - what are you going to do? There are a few choices that I can see in my opinion.

1, Revolution - and not the friendly kind.
2. Non compliance - everyone just stops interacting with the system, if you could get a majority of people to do this things would come to stop rather quickly. (BEST)
3, Do nothing - watch as the elite keep on robbing you blind...they are almost complete in the fiscal sense, working hard on eliminating your freedom and liberty.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

We know that work is not yet complete because there are many other countries we want to attack to bring about "peace" and "democracy" . Even as the light of liberty and justice has spread across the globe, too many people still labor in the darkness of tyranny and oppression. In too many parts of the world, fundamental freedoms remain unrealized, and the protections of law extend only to a privileged few (Insert your own obvious remark lol)

Could add, to many countries out there that do vote in their leaders, select leaders we don't want...something must be done about that!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

And that has bearing here how? Is there a law that says I have to be 100% for or 100% against anything? Is there any reason I cannot adapt and change my position over time?

FTR I am also the guy who posted this a few months later.

Funny... folks seem to use the term "Obamabot" so often - and yet it seems that NOT being one is a way to become a target as well?

You're going to have to try harder.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join