It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else sick of/angered by this "royal" baby nonsense?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

Originally posted by liverlad
I don't really like the Royals as it is now, but i would prefer if our country was ran by a single King like it was back in the old days rather than a bunch of annonymous bankers, at least back then we knew who was running the place and we could have his head if he pissed off too many people!

wtf? do you know how they did things back then?

if you criticised the king it was you that lost your head.
back then you knew who was taxing all your money, didnt mean you could do anything about it.
Yeah, i wasn't being 100% serious, maybe 50%.

The king part with modern rights.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Everyone;

If I made a thread slagging off your american constitution I would get roasted, not that I would seeing it is partly based on common law and on Magna Carta (came into being in 15 June 1215). So why have a pop at something that goes back 1000 years and is part of our history and tradition.

That's all well and good, my only point was that people let the hype control them when events like the royal baby are over-dramatized, plus the belief of "birthright" and "royalty" is pretty primitive and baseless. It doesn't seem like the smart way for developed and intelligent humans to choose their leaders.

That is though, just your opinion.

Well, I think since I've observed this in numerous different scenarios, it should lean closer to "fact" than "opinion." But your opinion that my statement was only an opinion, is in fact, your opinion. And I respect that.

You do know I assume that Prince William is enlisted in the RAF and is a fully trained helicopter pilot who works in the search and rescue arm and is currently taking his two weeks paternity leave, right?

Good for him

I was just saying the idea of royalty and the media hype following it is flawed.

I think a lot of the posters in this thread are suffering the equivalent of penis envy, I suppose.

Not me... I'm a female.

I suppose. As it's an economic fact that the Royal family actually brings in more income to the UK than it actually costs for the public purse I can't think why people get so worked up about it.

Media hype = distraction.

While everyone over here in America was worried about the Zimmerman trial, the NDAA was re-legalized.

God knows whats going on while this royal baby nonsense is being exploited.

That's the issue people have with it. Media hype, distract & destroy, etc...

I think Europeans and Americans need to look into whatever bills and laws have passed lately, while Zimmerman and the royal baby dominated the media...

People who work hard can get recognized for it over here. Its called the honors list. If anyone does outstanding work in their field or for charity or for their local community they can get honoured.

Wonderful

Doesn't stop the media from distracting folks from important issues...

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Then why are you even here? I have seen you say the same about a few subjects now but you continue to comment on those posts.
Do you think we are incapable of thinking about more than one subject?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Then why are you even here? I have seen you say the same about a few subjects now but you continue to comment on those posts.

People don't seem very occupied with some of the stuff I say, so I feel the need to tell others.

That's the point of this site,

No one else noticed the NDAA thing. Not one other thread about it, other than the one I posted.

People are capable of thinking a lot at once, but they aren't doing it.

Deny ignorance, right...?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I, for one, was excited. Simply because after it was born the sky darkened and thunder boomed across the land. Some people said it was a storm, but I know the truth...

He's the Dragonborn.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

Originally posted by boymonkey74

People don't seem very occupied with some of the stuff I say, so I feel the need to tell others.

That's the point of this site,

No one else noticed the NDAA thing. Not one other thread about it, other than the one I posted.

People are capable of thinking a lot at once, but they aren't doing it.

Deny ignorance, right...?

Don't you think you are showing the attention seeking childishness you seem to have an issue with? Why should anyone else be occupied with the stuff you say? Are you saying you speak for the population of.... where?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

Cool sounds good to me

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Long Live Prince George Alexander Louis.
Huzzah!!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I do not really care about this baby.

But no one can dictate to people what they want to read about or should take interest in. This is harmless, if anything it unites people in these troubling times.

Let live.

ETA: I would rather uave this going on in the background than depressing nonsense people on ATS can sometimes obsess about.
edit on 24-7-2013 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Bang on! HUZZAH!

To all of the anti-monarchy lot here you are all aware that the United Kingdom is governed by a constitutional monarchy outlined by the Magna Carta, right?
edit on 24-7-2013 by Wulfric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Right, time to clarify.

1. Roll your eyes all you like, I was denouncing the vehement insults towards pro-royalists as pathetic, not anti-royalism itself.

2. I'm not insulting that sentiment, by "totalitarian" I was referring to the tendency of some to launch witch hunts against anything that differs from this guideline.

3. All men are not born equally in reality, for example, there are the children of millionaires. Their lives are much easier than say, the child of a single mother in the inner city. This is a fact of life, it does not mean we need to condescend or insult those more fortunate than us, even if they DO have it better.

4. It may be unfair, but sadly it's human nature. We're conditioned not to care a great deal to people outside of our sphere, celebrities enter our sphere when we get to know them through the media.

5. England colonised America. Our armies made it so that the English speaking elements in North America triumphed over the other European colonists. America could just as easily have become a nation that spoke French or Spanish had we sat back. Of course, those wars were brutal and it isn't really nice revel in them but sadly this was the reality of European policies.

In more modern times America has been sustaining the spread of English language, it's true. But the Empire was what spread English to the far corners of the globe originally.

And no, I have not claimed credit for any of this. We are talking about the past and being proud of your heritage. I am not really a nationalist either, being proud of your heritage does not automatically qualify you as a nationalist.

6. Calling ANYONE a sheep is a grievous insult in my eyes. It's totally belittling, implying the person in question isnt intelligent enough to make up their own minds. Again, the idol business is indeed human nature. Unless you engineer people, humans will always admire people with traits they approve of. This isn't always a bad thing, though annoying I agree in some instances.

7. This again relates to the tendency of people to describe us as "sheeps" if we subscribe to a popular view.

8. We disagree on this point. I think there can be a lot of benefit to national pride, such as drawing together as a community and inspiring interest in history (never a bad thing). There can also be a lot of downfalls, such as xenophobia, but these traits are generally not taken mainstream in today's enlightened times (at least in the West) although it does appear occasionally. You can be proud, but as you say you can take it too far as well. I don't condone this at all.

9. It is fact indeed, but that doesn't mean you can automatically use it as an argument against the current monarchy. I know doctors who work for days on end, but I won't use this as fuel for the proposition of deposing a respected national position simply because they aren't the hardest workers in town. In an ideal world the this would be the case, but in the mean-time many of us are happy with the status quo and reward those hardworking individuals as often as we can.

10. I did agree that the media hype was too much,so don't worry there. My issue was with the blazee insults being thrown around, less with the context of the Royal babby and the hype surrounding him.

11. You are totally misinterpreting what I say. I said that we are baffled by it, we simply don't understand the appeal. We come from two different cultures, one where this "right" seems to be lauded and another where the carrying of firearms appalls.

I also take issue with this glorification of the Bill of Rights. Yes, it is a respectable document with many admirable features. But it WAS written several hundred years ago and I, among others, would argue that the right to bear arms is no longer relevant. It was a right intended to justify rising up against oppression, but it simply isn't being used for that anymore and it's becoming increasingly more dangerous as violent elements enter society and abuse it.

That's my opinion, along with a large deal of the British public. I'm not trying to force it on you, simply explaining why we find it strange that a century year old document is being used by some elements in American society to shout down any discussion over change.

12. In conclusion I really don't mean to be insulting to America or anti-monarchists, I hate generalisation. I was simply expressing my anger at the insults being bandied around to the British and their monarchy. My grievance wasn't with anti-royalists, it was with -obnoxious- anti-royalists spreading sensationalist hype about freedom whilst patronising those who disagreed with them. I'm more than willing to argue the for-against case.

Thanks for replying anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, only I was feeling a little bit offended myself! Going on holiday now xP Last minute keyboard warrioring!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I agree that it's ridiculous, this Honey Boo Boo business sure makes that family laugh all the way to the bank. As for me, myself I'd rather look at a blank wall all night.

From what I've seen of the commercials, it just goes to show how well they dumbed down the people in this country, that this show could pass itself off as "entertainment". I'm not jealous or envious, the commercial clips of the show itself looks nauseating.

They wouldn't know a good show if it stood up and slapped them in the face.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregory99

Have a great time dude bring me back a stick of rock

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregory99

I think you've pretty much sealed the deal on this debate / argument (depending on who you talk to). Some people may not like the monarchy and fair enough but please, anti-monarchists know the facts before coming to a conclusion and do not insult other people who choose to support the royals!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think it's funny that back in the day of kings and monarch's people longed to be free of such leaders, and now they pay extra taxes to keep the state of kings and queens alive.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lme7898354

No we don't do some research If we didn't have them we would have to pay £2.60 per tax payer extra.
They make the UK a lot of tax revenue.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well said good sir! There's so much disinformation on this thread it's unbelievable!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My first post....Woman has baby. Shocker...I'd say the vast bulk of the UK population couldn't really care less. Especially the 'essential' updates such as when Kate's hairdresser was going to turn up. News indeed....However it's not UK population pushing this on the news so I've no idea what the above rants about us in Blighty being 'sheeple' refer to. The inane coverage is insipid, vacuous and nauseating although only slightly worse than Michelle Obama's latest choice of handbag or size of heel on her shoe and the 'fashion' coverage. I don't think we worship the royal family but rather tolerate them as a historical artefact, albeit one we can't afford and one that other than appearing on stamps or perhaps selling newspapers/newspace doesn't really do anything of merit or use.

Don't get me wrong, I've no issue with a woman having a baby and best wishes to them as a family. But when there are something like 3 babies born every second in the world and none of these will have had their £5,000 per night stay in hospital paid for them by the state, it really is rather ridiculous. The parents are essentially on state benefits and having a child while supported by the state and without a job is really quite irresponsible...Although I'm clearly joking, and they're loaded already, I still have to look forward to paying for this little guy's private education, university studies (while not getting the correct grades; precedent already set may times after all), his security, his holidays, cars, helicopter training, marriage, offspring and whatever 'career' he ends up doing and in the time honoured family tradition of not being achieved through transparent academic merit or ability.

The only plus I can think of is that Kate wasn't hit with the ugly stick so the horse genes might disappear from our future stamps so I'm sure the world's philatelists are rejoicing....apart from that, yes I am more than slightly miffed. There is progress on this though (republic.org.uk... -- can I post links? Guess I'll find out).

All the best all,

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people."

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Everyone;

Don't you think you are showing the attention seeking childishness you seem to have an issue with? Why should anyone else be occupied with the stuff you say?

I think this deserves more attention than the royal baby. And, yes, people should be paying more attention to it, rather than media hype about the royal baby, or the Zimmerman trial.

I'm not attention-seeking or childish for pointing out the obvious.

Roll your eyes all you like, I was denouncing the vehement insults towards pro-royalists as pathetic, not anti-royalism itself.

Sure.

I'm not insulting that sentiment, by "totalitarian" I was referring to the tendency of some to launch witch hunts against anything that differs from this guideline.

Which happened to be gun-loving extremist Americans who worship a divine text, right?

All men are not born equally in reality, for example, there are the children of millionaires. Their lives are much easier than say, the child of a single mother in the inner city. This is a fact of life, it does not mean we need to condescend or insult those more fortunate than us, even if they DO have it better.

Some are born luckier than others, that does not make one human life worth more than another.

It may be unfair, but sadly it's human nature. We're conditioned not to care a great deal to people outside of our sphere, celebrities enter our sphere when we get to know them through the media.

Saying "its human nature" and "its conditioned" are two different things.

We've been conditioned to turn a separate cheek to big issues, because big issues aren't put in the spot light, and overly-exploited, like non-issues are (royal baby & Zimmerman trial).

It is not human nature to lack care for other humans.

Some people are different, sure, but on a whole, every basic innate instinct that humans have is geared towards the survival of our species. And that includes nurturing, care, and yes, regard for human life.

England colonised America. Our armies made it so that the English speaking elements in North America triumphed over the other European colonists. America could just as easily have become a nation that spoke French or Spanish had we sat back. Of course, those wars were brutal and it isn't really nice revel in them but sadly this was the reality of European policies.

Alright, fair enough.

I suppose there wouldn't be an America if there wasn't a tyrannical British government to rebel against, so we can thank ya for that.

Calling ANYONE a sheep is a grievous insult in my eyes. It's totally belittling, implying the person in question isnt intelligent enough to make up their own minds. Again, the idol business is indeed human nature. Unless you engineer people, humans will always admire people with traits they approve of. This isn't always a bad thing, though annoying I agree in some instances.

Moral inspiration and idol worship aren't the same thing.

I believe that they are both in human nature, but depending on the individual.

Lazy people choose to idolize whatever figurehead is placed in front of them. That's as deep as it goes.

Thoughtful people, however, closely examine a person and determine if they like the person, and if so, are inspired by this person's morals, methods, and character traits out of empathy for similar beliefs.

There's a fine line...

This again relates to the tendency of people to describe us as "sheeps" if we subscribe to a popular view.

Again, I didn't mean you lot are sheep.

I meant, idol worshipers are sheep.

We disagree on this point. I think there can be a lot of benefit to national pride, such as drawing together as a community and inspiring interest in history (never a bad thing). There can also be a lot of downfalls, such as xenophobia, but these traits are generally not taken mainstream in today's enlightened times (at least in the West) although it does appear occasionally. You can be proud, but as you say you can take it too far as well. I don't condone this at all.

Sure, I admit, I have some pride in my country... not much anymore, but its leftover from my "unawakened" days. Nationalistic pride is very prominent in breeding a pompus, arrogant disposition against other countries, and I've seen very few people who can draw a line between nationalism and simple pride.

We come from two different cultures, one where this "right" seems to be lauded and another where the carrying of firearms appalls.

I guess we're just too far apart on this one.

The thought of handing over our firearms is like being demanded to rip out our hearts and give them to the government. Its not something *we* can do.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
baby was born At Duke Hospital, N.C. not Britain as reported by informant working at Duke Hospital. not confirmed

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join