It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American tax conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I live in a state with a conservative governor that made an expensive run at an enormous tax increase within weeks of taking office.

Two years back Alabama and Nevada made hard runs at raising state taxes. Both had conservative political control. In both states the measures went down in ignominious defeat. The threatened cuts in programs didn't happen.

the federal government under conservative leadership is determined to lower taxes, therefore states will have to raise their own to maintain programs or cut programs to stay solvent

The feds operate in a deficit as a matter of course, yet deficit spending hurts states terribly in the money markets so states tend to operate without deficit spending. To make up differences state use bond issues, resource depletion increases and gambling/lottery earnings if tax increases can't be had.

With that as a back drop I have wondered why.

Here's my conclusion (two years after the fact):
    tax (and depletion) incentives will be used by favored states to pull businesses from non-favored states

This will cause an enormous shift in population.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Even worse is the realization that federal funds received by some states are a net gain against taxes paid by citizens while others suffer a net loss.

Its income redistribution on a macro level that rewards some states while penalizing others.

I'll look for a link later but I've come across these figures in the past - they are interesting to say the least.

new topics

join