It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornel West: 'Barack Obama Is A Global George Zimmerman'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Not all progressives are pleased with Obama’s speech recently about “Trayvon Martin could have been me”

Indeed, many believe that his alleged impromptu words on this issue was too little too late to be really effective in the American proto-civil rights movement.

Two commentators and activists Professor Cornell West and PBS talk show personality Tavis Smiley have lit onto Obama and accuse him of being neglectful towards the AA cause where unemployment and black poverty are surging under Obama, the first black president in US history.

Smiley, for instance in a blunt commentary expresses that Obama “was pushed to that podium” claiming the president spoke only because of political pressure and not really from his heart. Pretty strong words from one of Obama’s harshest critics.

I appreciate and applaud the fact that the president did finally show up. But this town has been spinning a story that's not altogether true. He did not walk to the podium for an impromptu address to the nation; he was pushed to that podium. A week of protest outside the White House, pressure building on him inside the White House pushed him to that podium. So I'm glad he finally arrived.
But when he left the podium, he still had not answered the most important question, that Keynesian question, where do we go from here? That question this morning remains unanswered, at least from the perspective of the president. And the bottom line is this is not Libya, this is America. On this issue, you cannot lead from behind.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Even stronger, though, were the words of Professor West who in no small measure has again taken on Obama as he has done innumerable times in the past. This time calling the president “a global George Zimmerman”

"We know anybody who tries to rationalize the killing of innocent people is a criminal. George Zimmerman is a criminal. But, President Obama is a global George Zimmerman because he tries to rationalize the killing of innocent children, 221 so far, in the name of self-defense... Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen. So when he comes to talk about the killing of an innocent person, you say, well wait a minute, what kind of moral authority are you bringing?"

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Actually, I respect the criticism here on Obama and agree with much of it, though this time have to admit the speech was impressive and begrudgingly give Obama a little credit. I think he at least spoke from the heart, even though he may, like most presidents, not have much of a heart remaining in his soul after being president, where one is forced to do things like Professor West describes—murder innocents.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
How anyone thinks the current commander and chief and his administration has 'moral authority' is beyond insane.

Don't agree with West on anything but I do on this.

Anyone who looks to our government as a 'moral compass' is living in denial pretty much like someone who stays in an abusive relationship where they get beaten.

No matter how many times they get beat they still love the guy.

Geez.
edit on 23-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Stockholm syndrome, man. I've been reading about people saying it on here for years, "Americs has a bad case of Stockholm syndrome."

Our government is about as far as morally responsible as one can get, the old saying "Actions speak louder than words," certainly comes to mind, for me anyway.

We need to do something about our government.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

Just checking here, no offense intended.

Didn't you mean "morally reprehensible" instead of "morally responsible"?
If not, I'm just not understanding your post.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

1 - The article says that Zimmerman is a criminal. However, George Zimmerman is not a criminal.
2 - But Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and lies.

Therefore, Obama is no George Zimmerman.
Let's not raise Obama up to Zimmermans level.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

1 - The article says that Zimmerman is a criminal. However, George Zimmerman is not a criminal.
2 - But Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and lies.

Therefore, Obama is no George Zimmerman.
Let's not raise Obama up to Zimmermans level.

Well they both have killed and gotten away with it...so I think it's a pretty accurate statement.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Last I heard, Zimmerman is playing the "good Samaritan".

These "critics" haven't been anywhere "critical" with Obama. They have waited till the death count was at 221 on children?

Meh..............

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Well they both have killed and gotten away with it...so I think it's a pretty accurate statement.

Zimmerman broke no laws and engaged in self defense against a thug who attacked him.
Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and lies. BIG DIFFERENCE.
Again ... let's not try to raise Obama up to Zimmermans level. Obama isn't worthy of it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Last I heard, Zimmerman is playing the "good Samaritan".

So you'd rather have Americans just keep on driving by when they see an automobile accident and a vehicle with a family in it upside down, eh? Just keep on driving by ... don't stop to help. Lovely. (sarcasm)

:shk:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by muse7

Zimmerman broke no laws and engaged in self defense against a thug who attacked him.
Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and lies. BIG DIFFERENCE.
Again ... let's not try to raise Obama up to Zimmermans level. Obama isn't worthy of it.

Hold on let me get out my bingo card

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I just dont understand.

Where have ALL the critics been, when it comes to Obama?

Hiding the past 5 years? I'm talking Black America. Unemployment and the sense of do nothing coming out of this Administration should have had them out of their seats the first year.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

What?

Get out the racist card?

Then what does that make West?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Attempt at humorous deflection .... humor achieved ... deflection failed.

Again ...
Zimmerman broke no laws and took self defense measures against a thug who was trying to kill him.
Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and lies. The BIG DIFFERENCE remains.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

So.......0bama is a guy on watch, trying to do some good in his neighborhood, sees someone, reports them, and is attached from behind, beaten and shoots the bad guy? Only to be persecuted?????????

Sorry Cornel, you got it wrong again. 0bama is very much like TM. A pot smoking wannabe thug that attacks people from behind.

top topics

join