It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Releases Images of Earth by Distant Spacecraft

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

edit on 7/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Where is the bright dot, that's supposed to be to the right of the earth, as seen in the photos below?

Do you know how much farther away from Earth Saturn is compared to Mercury? 900 million miles vs. 61 million miles. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Do you think that the Moon would be in the same relative position to the Earth when viewed from two entirely different points of view?

Do you think the fact that the Moon would be "full" from the point of view of Mercury and a waxing crescent from Saturn might have an effect?

edit on 7/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarterthanyou
reply to post by Komodo

the sun?
is that what is missing

It was purposeful, as to not damage imaging equipment. The Sun is blocked by Saturn. Same thing when they took the 2006 image of Earth. Using an Eclipse effect by peeking around the edge of Saturn, seeing Earth/moon, but not the Sun.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
How do we exist on such a speck, while in our minds we are island universes?
edit on 7/23/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/23/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Fake. Everyone knows the earth is flat.

Beautiful pics

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They'd be off better checking out Mars or the Moon.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

the moons seems

really huge..

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by reeferman
reply to post by ionwind

the moons seems

really huge..

The Moon is a quarter the size of the Earth, so it should seem huge. Next time there is a full moon, go outside and look up at it. Now picture another 3 moon masses on top of the full moon and you have a rough representation on how large the earth looks from the surface of the moon.

edit on 23-7-2013 by Nomad451 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2013 by Nomad451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

We get them but only in certain Little Zones. Even in those zones there are areas Airbrushed Out. Another words they give us a crumb while shunning us Children from good stuff. But their not hiding anything.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Wonderful pictures. Thankyou.

When I look at them I immediately feel insignificant.......but then I feel this wonderful sense of connectivity with the universe and cannot fathom how we are here, on this tiny blue speck, for no purpose at all.

Best wishes.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
And it started with a big bang....

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
excuse my ignorance, but I hear for the space station to stay in orbit or what not it has to travel at 17,000 miles an hour or something. So if the earth is travelling at 66,000 miles an hour through space how does one take a photograph of an object moving that fast. Oh and if you can answer how the mars missions get on mars, do they fly at an angle the wait for mars to slam in to them at 68,000mph ? do they let mars pass then give chase at faster than 68,000mph? I have always wondered these things.
edit on 24-7-2013 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by chishuppu

At the distance Earth was from Saturn about 900 million miles the speed the Earth was traveling at would appear very slow in relative terms during the exposure of the picture. Also spacecraft are sent to were there target will be at a set time and once close enough gravity plus pre planned flight changes are used that's it in simple terms, Google videos re this and you will see the planning done to get spacecraft to the distant parts of the Solar System.
edit on 24-7-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
So, I couldn't help myself with this one. Looking at it after I completed it, there was moment of silence and deep inner reflection. I made it by pasting the text from the post of Carl Sagan over the image from NASA's website, converted it, exported it then here she is

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
another NASA production that looks fake and most probably is (judging by
NASA's track record).
i'll save my awe for what is real, thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by litlirishone

That message is even more profound in an image like that, thank you. I'll share it on Facebook if you don't mind.

~ ~ ~

Originally posted by TopsyTurvyOne
NASA's track record).

If everything from NASA looks fake to you, how can you tell the difference between real and fake? What should a real space photo look like?

You're welcome to look at the raw images used to make the image:

Short exposure
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Long exposure
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

And tell me why would NASA make fake images with optical artifacts like blooming, digital noise, cosmic particle streaks, and other things which they have to edit out when making a public release.

There's also a wealth of technical information about these images, so simply saying "it looks fake" is speaking from ignorance.
edit on 24-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

NASA's track record).

"I don't believe it" is not the same as "It is not real".

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out that the size and brightness of Earth in the public release, which makes it look large and bright, is the result of a long exposure. Here's a composite made from very short exposure frames. The Earth occupies one pixel, or a pixel and a half if you like:

Click for full-sized image:

Raw images used:
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

By the way, I imagine this is the kind of view you would normally see out of a spaceship, if your cabin is lit and your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark.

Here's another version, with a slightly longer exposure (but still below what was used in the public release). The Earth is still pretty much a dot.

edit on 24-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
oh look! no stars!

stanley kubrick was faking better imagery back in the 1960's.

think about x-box game graphics and you are closer to getting the picture.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

oh look! no stars!

stanley kubrick was faking better imagery back in the 1960's.

think about x-box game graphics and you are closer to getting the picture.

Oh look! A poster that doesn't understand low light level photography!

There are stars if you care to look at the composite image, not many, but they are there.

The reason you will not see a whole lot of stars is because of the exposure time for the images taken. Star light is faint. Much, much fainter than light reflected off of the planets in our solar system.

Throw in the glare and bounce from both the rings and the bleeding edge of the planet, and that is not going to help either.

Here's a link to help you start reading on the subject and fill in that void of how to image stars:

How To Photograph Stars

You can use Google too, and find even further reading. Have fun.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join