It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Releases Images of Earth by Distant Spacecraft

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingrutse
Why is Saturn black might be a dumb ?

It's the night-time bit

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Cassini typical ashkenazi www.calend.ru...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

With such images available, where do I go to view full HD pictures of the moon?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Those pictures are worth a million bucks. It is really neat to see a picture of earth from there. When I say a million bucks, I mean cost
S&F I wonder if they doctored the rings image?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Eerily amazing.

We really are... nothing.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

As with most NASA images, they are composites and touched-up. They are "hardly" doctored.

As well some of the most stunning images we get aren't even taken with cameras, they are radio frequencies and thermal images and composites blended into really beautiful images.

Sadly, when it does become within our ability to go see these places with our own eyes, we won't see half of the beauty.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Nice post OP.

It truly is mesmerizing.
And to think we are all alone :/

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antipathy17
reply to post by iamhobo

There isn't such satellite for that. Satellites are not for entertainment, but research. Making satellites is expensive, that is why there is so few.

Best is Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, but it isn't very HD. It takes images like this:
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 23-7-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel

Originally posted by Antipathy17
reply to post by iamhobo

There isn't such satellite for that. Satellites are not for entertainment, but research. Making satellites is expensive, that is why there is so few.

Wrong, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter provides great hi-res images of the Moon. lroc.sese.asu.edu...

There's only one thing lacking in those images - colour. The Moon isn't utterly black&white, there are subtle colour variations depending on mineral makeup of the terrain.

Originally posted by rickymouse
Those pictures are worth a million bucks. It is really neat to see a picture of earth from there. When I say a million bucks, I mean cost
S&F I wonder if they doctored the rings image?

Raw images are rarely suitable for public releases (although they are made public at sites like saturn.jpl.nasa.gov... ), so there is almost always some editing and photoshopping wizadry involved. For example, for this image, they combined the rings from a low-exposure shot like this one, and the Earth and the faint outer rings from a long-exposure shot like this one. There's also the issue of alignment of the rings and the Earth from frame to frame, due to the fact that Cassini moves some distance between taking pictures. Based on my experience on making my own colour composite of this image, NASA had to align the rings and Earth in separate images, then combine them together.

Anyhoo, it's not what I'd call doctoring, but rather using various techniques to overcome technical issues (like exposure, alignment, digital noise, cosmic particle streaks) and presenting a nice-looking picture to the public. Everything you see there is real, and similar to what you'd see with your own eyes (despite what GaryN says).
edit on 23-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
yep ..

and still can't get high res color pics from mars ..

awesome ..

edit on 22-7-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

Still making those idiotic claims!!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

Very Cool! Saturns rings look pretty awesome there as well! What's up with the outer one made out of light?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kazootica
reply to post by ionwind

Very Cool! Saturns rings look pretty awesome there as well! What's up with the outer one made out of light?

It is the so-called E-Ring. Actually, it's more like a torus (donut-shape). It's formed from the ice-geysers on Saturn's moon, Enceladus, which orbits right in the middle of it..

How cool is that?!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I didn't know the earth emitted that much light

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 23-7-2013 by PINGi14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Someone in another thread was questioning the size of the moon being to big..
I thought it was due to sun glare, so I removed the glare.. and got a picture that mach the scaled as we know it.

just wanted to share it here also

edit on 23-7-2013 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
NASA has uploaded some higher resolution versions of the rings and Earth picture. The resolutions are from 800x600 up to 1920x1080 (suitable for desktop wallpaper).

They also describe the image, and how they took it:

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 23-7-2013 by ionwind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Just incredible pictures all around. And I find total beauty in Saturn's outer rings, they almost look fake to me... Does anyone know the thickness of the rings of Saturn? The pic got me wondering...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Beautiful pictures.

It brings a question to my mind though...

If Saturn is so big compared to earth,
then why doesn't Saturn appear bigger in the nights sky?

The tiny blue dot is still visible as a planet really from the pic,
and small compared to the size of Saturn.

Atmospheric interference?

If you look at an orbital map of our solar system, you'll see that Earth, Mars, Venus and Mercury are really in in the inner suburbs, while Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto are way out in the suburbs and cottage country. It's really just a matter of distance and size.

One photographer did imagine if our Moon were replaced with any of the other planets:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
sorry ..

I'm not buying this .. there's something obviously missing in this picture .. especially when the pic is able to zoom in at that distance ..

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KurdishKing

Nice post OP.

It truly is mesmerizing.
And to think we are all alone :/

What happened to the last post on this anyone know? I came back and it was 404'd?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join