It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to press congress to act on economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Looking to retake the initiative on Americans’ No. 1 concern, President Barack Obama this week will deliver three speeches on the economy. The addresses, set for Wednesday and Thursday, come as Obama has been struggling with issues largely out of his control, including Syria’s civil war and deadly unrest in Egypt. “The president thinks Washington has largely taken its eye off the ball on the most important issue facing the country,” senior Obama adviser Dan Pfeiffer said. “Instead of talking about how to help the middle class, too many in Congress are trying to score political points, refight old battles, and trump up phony scandals.” Obama will kick off the speeches on Wednesday at Knox College in Galesburg, Ill., where he delivered a speech focused on the middle class in June 2005—one of his first national addresses on the economy. He will also speak in Warrensburg, Mo., and on Thursday in Jacksonville, Fla.

To me....this is craziness.

In my humble opinion...the best thing the Government can do to stimulate the economy is "to get out of the way". I know lots of clever, would be entrepreneurs who would like to start a restaurant or a service company...but local, state and federal regulations make it nearly impossible without a load of cash and/or certificates and licenses. We need to go back the days of "Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) and Caveat Venditor (seller beware) and let the markets control themselves. Only through true and free markets can we reclaim our economic greatness. Over regulation is partly the result of lobbyist looking to reduce remove their competition...and therein lies the problem...in my opinion.

If a man wants to get a cheap cart and grill and sell hot dogs along the side of the road, he should not have to buy off local, state or federal officials so he can grab a spot on a public road and sell his products. To me, this slants the competition. Sure, if I were a major chain, I would want to prevent this too...you don't want some guy pulling up across the road from your place and stealing your business...but therein lies the problem. The big chains lobby to get their way and the little guy loses. If your product is really better, the customers will come...if it's not...that is your fault.

Same idea of free markets go for lots of things...door to door masseuses, prostitution, selling currently illegal things...drop the stupid laws that prevent two people from having a consensual contract and get out of the way. Human beings can have incredible ingenuity when it comes to taking care of themselves if you get out of their way and let them.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You know where it all went wrong.....NAFTA

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Damian65

I agree with your sentiments completely.

Time for government to back off, and let the people exercise personal responsibility and true self determination.

I'm sick of the "everyone knows what's best for you" mentality of this current power structure.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think Obama needs to look to something a bit more basic....but it gets sticky, since he's contributed to the problem every year for over 4 years now.

The U.S. hasn't HAD a budget since 2009. Reid has said, repeatedly in different years, anything from the House is dead on arrival and will not get a vote. Regardless. Don't bother trying. Even Obama's own shot at a budget was defeated without exception in the Senate. Dems voted it down too.

Obama can't do MUCH...but he can do precisely what Texas just did in that special session but with a very hard kicker the Texas Governor didn't have going for him. Obama could and CAN call a special session, against their will if that's how it's to be, and HOLD them in session..again, against their will if they so desire it that way...and KEEP THEM THERE until one of three things happen.

1. Hell freezes over and Satan is calling up for some heat

2. They pass a budget. Just one budget, We don't ask for much and the Constitution actually outlines legal duty on this like no other area, in specifics.

3. The next election comes to replace those who have been held in Washington EVERY SINGLE DAY between this day and that one.

Obama could do this...but he chooses not to and has, every year. Until he does? Well.. Congress IS the source of the core of the problem here....but he's enabling them in a way that makes it possible where it wouldn't otherwise be, IMO.
edit on 22-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Its good to see that he's taking time out from race baiting and ruining the us constitution. great job Big O.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilky
Its good to see that he's taking time out from race baiting and ruining the us constitution. great job Big O.

He better really hurry huh? He's going to run late for his next vacation!

President Obama returning to Martha’s Vineyard for August vacation

Just how does he find the time to tackle such ambitious things like economies and budgets when he's off to global junkets and vacations every 30-45 days? It must be a hard life being him.

*At least the economy in Martha's Vineyard will benefit!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Damian65

Best thing the gov could do is massively deregulate and lower taxes for corporations. And end Obamacare. Those things won't happen so the economy will continue to puddle down the highway, barely surviving on fumes.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It is true that there is only very little that a President can do. It would be nice for him to at least do those things.

As said, he could demand a budget.

He "could" suggest the deregulation of certain things and legalization of a few things to Congress and let them be the final voice...that is when you burn the phone lines up to your congressmen and senators...

The problem with that second one is that many of the "rules and regulations" we are confined with and bound up by...are the result of lobbyist. The "want" these things for one reason or another...many are purely to reduce or remove competition in the market place. So therefore...the Congressmen that approved these rules and regulations to begin with did so for a reason...maybe a handshake and a brown envelope in an alley or backroom...or more appropriately...for a fine campaign contribution that helps them to be re-elected...and pass more laws for their "backroom" lobbyist buddies.

The system is so corrupt...I don't think it is possible to fix it...thus...it is going to be nearly impossible to get the things that could really "fix" the economy for the average Joe.

Perhaps some cataclysm will come....rock the entire planet and maybe...just maybe...we can get a chance to start over and do it right this time. I believe the USA...the great experiment... was about the best system ever invented...it's downfall was that the doors were open for corruption by default...it was only a matter of time till the wolves found the sheep pen...and they have been feeding off the sheep for years....
edit on 7/22/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/22/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join