It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had a cheesesteak in Philly on Saturday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I've lived in or around New York City my entire life. And I've always heard about Philly having the best cheesesteaks. The famous places on all the food shows and what not. And my friend down there saying I've never had a real cheesesteak until I went down there.

So on Saturday I was down there for a concert and stopped at Genos. Cheesesteak with American cheese and some cheese fries.

I was really not that impressed. At all. I mean, it was good. But nothing spectacular at all. Am I missing something?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Am I missing something?
Monsanto,

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Great! Now I'm hungry for something I have never eaten in my life. Guess who's getting a cheesesteak later. Why didn't you like it? How did it taste? I never had it before in my life.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
No, don't get me wrong, it was a good sandwich. But I've had the same thing at places up here in New York. I was expecting better for the amount of talk I hear about the two places, Pats and Genos.

I love cheesesteak, and I'd eat another one from there if it was given to me, just wasn't blown away.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It looks very dry! I would add some dipping sauce on the side, cheese on the sandwich and maybe some veggies.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

I live about an hour outside of Philly.

I don't want to drive to Philly for anything, least of all a cheesesteak. There are better cheesesteaks to be found in the burbs, and you don't have wait an hour in line.... or have some knucklehead tell you that you ordered incorrectly.

And who the heck puts Cheese Whiz on a steak sandwich anyway!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I always wanted to try an authentic cheesesteak sandwich, but was disappointed to learn while watching one of those TV shows on food (drool) that cheesewhiz... CHEESEWHIZ Was the actual cheese used in the making of these things... Talk about a food fail. Yick.

..... I am still jealous of you though. We have poutine here.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yeah, I was having no part of cheesewiz. Only american for me.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

We have poutine here.

First time I ever heard of it, so I googled.

I would eat that. I like french fries with gravy. Never had it with curds though.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Oh I love the cheese steak. I have a place right next to work that has a great cheese steak.

I also suggest Capriottis. Not many people have heard around them here in IA but they just put up a shop about a year ago and is very good.

capriottis.com...
edit on 22-7-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
In our area there is a place, used to be called Andy's, now it's Hwy 55. Simple little burger franchise in Eastern NC. They have fantastic cheese steak sandwiches. Melted provolone and american. Oh, and you can get cheese fries too. I usually have a glass of melted cheese with mine.
edit on 22-7-2013 by network dude because: added link

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A lot of places are like that. I mean, it's meat, cheese, and bread. It's not like they have some magical pixie powder they sprinkle on it to make it good.

When I was in Paris, I found it harder than I thought to get good food. And here I thought everyone over there ate snobby high-end plates of food.

I read someplace that if your in Philly, don't go to Genos or the other one...go a few blocks away. As long as it doesn't say "Philly" in front of "Cheesesteak" your good. Not sure how true that is...

EDIT:

I felt the exact same way my first time at In-N-Out Burger. I waited in line for 30 minutes for what? A hamburger? Really? I've had better at a local joint where I live for cheaper. Besides, they push their Christian agenda with Bible verses on the bottom of their cups. No thank you please.
edit on 22-7-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I would recommend Tony Luke's for the best cheesesteak in Philly. They have an Italian style with ribeye steak, provolone cheese and broccoli rabe. It is incredible. I am originally from NY as well and this is the only place I could find that compares.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It would be better with mature cheddar cheese I'm guessing.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Yeah, I was having no part of cheesewiz. Only american for me.

I always thought American cheese was the single packed slices (like Kraft singles).

Cheese isn't cheese unless it's in some type of bulky form, like cheddar, or mozzarella, or Swiss. A type you slice yourself.

Being nowhere near Philly, and having zero desire to ever go to the US, when I get a craving from watching the food channel, I just make something that looks similar.

In a whole grain sub bun, or whole wheat pita, thinly sliced lean beef, topped with mozzarella (or halepeno flavored havarti), and carmelized onions. Maybe a beef jus on the side.

The best cheesesteak sandwich is homemade

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
On behalf of all Philadelphians, I apologize that your first cheese-steak experience was less than transcendent. This whole cheese-steak marketing thing started in the late 80's and it makes it seem like a cheese steak is something more than a re-configured hamburger. Cheese-steaks are yummy and are an amazing food item to have delivered to your house, but not worth driving 100 miles for. Granted, you came down for a show (who did you see btw?)
The whole thing about Pats and Gino's is that they are open, late night, after the bars let out, when everything else is closed. I prefer Pats to Gino's but, like the other poster said, my favorite cheese steak is out in the burbs. I take pilgrimages out there once a month. Its $10 in gas and $13 buck for the sandwich, but its worth it.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PinealJockey

Ah....so they're open late selling to drunk people?

So many foods that are just "meh" sober taste awesome when your wasted. This might be part of the reason for the legendary status of those two.

When you wake up, you can't really remember what it tasted like, but you know that it was awesome so you go back for more!
edit on 22-7-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Next time you gotta go to joes on south street, best cheesesteaks ive had in philly

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I had a cheesesteak in Philly once.

It was at the Philly airport. It was about 9pm. Bad weather had all the flights canceled or delayed.

This place in the airport had one thing going for it - it was open and had shorter lines than the other places that were open.

Worst.....Philly.....Cheesesteak.....Ever.

I'm sure that was not representative of the best (or even the average) Philly has to offer..

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I much prefer a South Philly...broccoli rabe, slow-roasted pork, and provolone...grrrrrr...
What's that stomach? Sounds like I know what to go have for dinner

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join