It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong earthquake kills at least 17, injures 279 in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Strong earthquake kills at least 17, injures 279 in China,

rt.com

At least 17 people have been killed and almost 300 injured after a 5.9 magnitude earthquake hit the northwest central Gansu province of China. The death toll is expected to rise as authorities continue the search for possible victims.

All the casualties so far have been confirmed in Gansu province, according to the local government.

The quake hit near the city of Dingxi in Gansu province, one of the least populated in the whole country. However, the Dingxi area has a great concentration of farms and towns. The earthquake was also felt in neighboring cities of Longnan, Tianshui, and the provincial capital city of Lanzhou.

The initial tremor happened at around 23:45 GMT on Sunday and reportedly lasted for over a minute. The Chinese seismological bureau initially measured the quake at magnitude 6.6. The first tremor was followed by a series of quakes, including a magnitude-5.6.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.scmp.com
www.cbc.ca
abcnews.go.com
edit on 21-7-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Bot sure if this has been posted. I didn't see it in the search.

I'm sure the number will change over time. Considering how many people live in China. The quake wasn't too large but it must have done some damage and killed people.

Didn't know 5.9 mag was that large, but where I'm from we don't get earthquakes.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Wow, I hadn't seen this posted yet.

Prayers and positive energy to those affected.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
As I predicted the number has increased. Killed at least 17 and injured 279 in China. Updated to the thread title.

I'm sure more details and photos will emerge.

-SAP-
edit on 21-7-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wow, crazy....New Zealand last nigh.....now China.

Giant coronal holes, androids visiting our solar system

What next super volcano? Kidding!

I see the injuries climbing. Hoping the best.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
reply to post by Miracula

You're gonna have to break that down for me... I have no idea what you just said.
edit on 10-7-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

Silver

2nd

Earthquake in China...,

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
That sounds terrible. I hope there are not too many strong aftershocks to cause more death and destruction.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Thoughts and prayers out to the people of china, nature disasters are terrible for any nation to endure.
When I was deployed in japan for OP TOM, I had never felt an earthquake before, but when it happened it was such a surreal feeling, like the ground was moving!! the ground shouldn't be moving!!! never in my life.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Poor people,like enough problems and poverty is in this world,and now earthquakes all over the place.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I hope this isn't a prequake for a bigger one. I'd hate to have something like that happen around here, it would be a tragedy. Best wishes to the people there.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
hope next earthquake dont strike indonesia..i am scare to hell..

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Thanks for this. I said there would probably be casualties

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Is it just me, or does it seem like it's become "Another day, another disaster in china"? Several times a week there's something awful happening there. I feel terrible for the people that live there. As if all the pollution and the working conditions aren't bad enough, there are new disasters all the time...

top topics

join