It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What scares you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Spiders. An obvious one but i am, frankly, terrified of the little critters. Thinking properly, my first memory of fear was as a toddler (can't have been older than 2) crawling up the stairs in an outbuilding, pulling my head above step level and seeing the biggest bloody spider in the world (possible exaggeration!). So possibly linked to that.

I am not really that scared of anything else to be honest although i do fear being burned to death - not death itself, more the pain involved. I have no idea where that may come from though, other than an over fertile imagination.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Society.

Society scares me. Why? Because i look out into a crowd of mindless, brainwashed individuals who want nothing more to do but talk away on their mobile phones and consume the latest unneeded products.

I fear where society as a whole is heading.
edit on 22-7-2013 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This is weird. I was just thinking about this when I woke up. I'm one of those people who watches people as they head to where they're going. You'll be amazed at what I learn. People dress trashy and ghetto like they just don't care about modesty. So many people have bad habits like drugs and manners. Society has literally destroyed itself.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Well compared to older times of the dark ages or cavemen how many people know how to fend for themselves or even shelter themselves.

We burn threw our resources it doesn't seem to matter how much damage is caused to the environment. There is a massive divide around the world of class or religion. Jobs and economies are dying down there seems to be fewer and fewer jobs. Crime is always on the rise as is poverty .

There really isn't a lot of good I see being done anywhere around the world and it is really not going to get any better anytime soon .

Many people seem to not even have a clue as to what reasoning and ethic are or even care to .

I really don't think we leave our children a better place when people are shooting kids in schools . Planting bombs in public places , stoning a young girl for being raped . A government that views us as a resource that couldn't careless if you and your family are put on to the streets then try to jail you for being homeless .

Yeah seems like awesome times we leave our children

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by playernumber13

Yes, I'm terrified of death too. What we need to do is something with technology to allow humans to conquer death. Yes! That's it! It's been in front me all this time.

Why? Who want to be in the same shell for thousands of years having to build on what you have been thru? It is better to die from my point of view, go home and see what you really did and experiance the bliss, upgrade your soul, fall again and be reborn as a little tyke again with only love in your eyes.

With a rebirth in a more civilized society you have the possibility to shine even more that you did before and understand even easier what is happening around you.

Being human is so limiting and the awareness of the human body is clearly not as developed as I want. The only reason people are afraid of death is because they believe it is the end. Open you third eye and you will not be afraid anymore.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

To be honest. I'm an atheist. So I don't believe in rebirth like in Eastern religions. However, science can come close to something like this. Cloning! I'm just brain storming here.

The reason I fear death is suffering and not being aware. I rather have eternal life than just passing away. The thought of it just terrifies me to the bone.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Galadriel
I don't know if it's a fear as much as a great sadness to think that someday there will be no people left on earth. Due to war, disease, natural disasters, asteroids, poisoning of the earth, or finally, the sun.

It makes me sad to think that all the poetry, music, stories, art and legacy of the ages will be gone, and there will be no one to remember. And no one to remember people.

Just as bad would be the end of creatures of the earth - birds, mammals fish -- all, and plants, trees.

I guess it's okay if life goes on beyond death, so spirit remembers.

As for fears, I have irrational fears of being killed by a bear or mountain lion. It make no sense. But when I am in an area where there are bears or cats - I am very nervous.

What have evolved here will not be lost even if worst case scenario happens. Even humanity screw it up totally there will be "others" who will reseed this place and the cycle continues.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The looming potential for a new type of tyrannical government unlike any that has ever
come before...

A state so powerful that it cannot be defeated--one that compels absolute conformity, enforced
by intimidation, brutality, and the most comprehensive and sophisticated surveillance and data
gathering system that the world has ever seen.

This is my greatest fear....the absolute hopelessness of knowing that you are owned--enslaved by a
force so powerful that you know it cannot be challenged....
edit on 22-7-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Being over powered and male raped, is my biggest fear. Just not sure I could ever handle that one. I'm also scared of the dying process.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I feel better after watching this about death. Still it ain't gonna be pretty

edit on 22-7-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for sharing the video. I'll have to check it out.

Second line is needed.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheomExperience

When i was about ten years old i was playing in a pool and decided to attach the vacuum hose to the pool water jet pipe. I sat in the pool at the other end of the hose and waited for the water to come out on my face but a giant bird eating spider the size of a pizza came flying out covering my face.

I started crying and ran around screaming like my face got bit off. The spider did not bite me or hurt me in any way but it has left a "mental scar" so deep rooted in my consciousness that the thought of a spider on me makes my hair stand up and goosebumps break out. And i have a few twitches here and there

I'm so sorry but this made me laugh so hard, I about fell out of my chair.... I can imagine it was very traumatizing and would definitely account for more than the typical "psychological fear" of spiders that most people feel.

A lot of people have posted a fear of spiders and it really intrigues me. I have always followed Jungian psychology very closely. Jung talked about the development of certain phobias and complexes from, what he called, the "collective unconscious." The idea behind the collective unconscious is that it is a potential that we inherit from our ancestors. So, for example, if our ancestors were afraid of snakes because their experiences with snakes had deadly consequences, then we might inherit the potential for that fear even though we have never had a run-in with a snake. Once our current conscious experience encounters a snake - either through a picture or actual experience - that potential is "opened up" and we are affected by how the experience plays out.

So, apply this theory to spiders.... Very few spiders in the world have venom that can kill a human being. There are several which can make you very sick and perhaps lose a limb through necrosis, but very few that will kill you within minutes like a snake. So why would us or our ancestors potentially fear spiders? It is almost irrational....

Then there is my personal fear of spiders. I grew up with spiders as pets....same with snakes, even deadly snakes. I had no fear of them in any way, shape, or form. I can clearly remember other children being terrified of spiders while I would laugh, pick them up, and carry them around. Yet, one day out of the blue, I suddenly had a horrific fear of spiders. I don't know where it came from or why.... I was never bitten (to my knowledge) or had any bad experience... But even the sight of one would cause a severe anxiety attack. Still continues to this day, despite my attempts to "rationalize away" the fear.

Anyone else had a fear just "appear" with no explanation?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Nothing...Once you stop fearing death, the possibilities are endless

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

Originally posted by freedomSlave
The world that we are leaving our children and their children

Care to expand on that thought? What, specifically, about the world scares you? Once you more clearly identify what in this world scares you, how does that compare to another time period such as, say, the middle ages or the days of cavemen?

I'll take a stab at this as I have the same fear. The key difference that we have, presumably, from the middle ages and the days of cavemen is technology. From my sight, I see the world catapulting rapidly towards a scenario that leaves me terrified. The tragedy of the commons has always taken place when opportunity allows it but no other time has existed where we have had such an ability to destroy and poison the commons through the insertion of technologically procured chemicals into environments that did not develop to sustain such things. I see a population growth that, although is likely to stabilize in the near future, keeps growing as we continue to poison.

Add in, through natural or unnatural causes, weather patterns appear to be changing or have changed worldwide. While this may not seem significant to many, what it means is that areas that are used to more rain may be getting less while others that received less are getting more. The geology of an area evolves slowly over time, even more slowly than anything living on this planet. The result is catastrophe as areas that are unused to higher amounts of rain are hit with it and areas that we have developed for the production of food due to their rain face drought. Don't believe me? It's already happening. We poison, destroy, and will eventually get our butts handed to us by Mother Nature, herself.

Yet, all the while, little Princes whip the discourse of humanity into subjects of their preference in a perverse and intense tragedy of the commons of the like that humanity has not seen before. We live in a world where subjects like "Law & Order" and the acts of a single individual are the more likely subjects of discussion than where we are actually headed as humanity. We discuss, ad nauseam, the irrelevant while greater questions need to be asked and answers sought for. Yet even if you do attempt to open a discourse, the work of media, politicians, and corporations at whipping the shape of discourse is so proliferate that reasonable discourse seems impossible--all to protect the status quo because the prevalent thinking for these individuals isn't long term but short term in the grand scheme of things, shaped by 10ks, elections, and the next "hot" story.

Toss in things like PRISM, which I suspect the originating purpose of such a program was originally to protect from terrorists, has been shifted to further protect that precious status quo that serves a few thousand of humanity. I see a future where surveillance is everywhere along with facial recognition, whether through governmental entity or corporate and for whatever purpose whether it be to penalize or profit.

While historically humanity has faced and survived the nemesis that Gaia can be, what we have done this time, if we continue down this same course, will only result in death. We live in a world where the survival of our species has been hinged on pure luck and wit and where nature on its own without our helping hands has brought humanity to the brink of extinction in the deep past. But this time, how much of what we may face has not been by some freak natural event or, as we call it, an act of God, but will be by our own hands? We have gone so far from what we could've done even 5000 years ago and we're taking the whole world of life with us.

But hey, Jayz, Beyonce, Zimmerman, and Tiger Woods is the important thing. Crack that whip. I've learned so much in my life and its turned me into Cassandra. The future I seems inescapable and I am terrified. I don't fear death. I fear ourselves.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

OMG that has got to be Wal Mart!! MY EYES!!!

I am officially afraid!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Spiders evolving to have wings!!

Other than that I'm not really afraid of much. I say I'm afraid of flying but that can be helped with some little bottles of "water" aka vodka! lol

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I am positively frightened of people that want to know what scares me. BRRRR!

That, and fame. I do NOT want to be famous! I get a little freaked out when a car drives by and beeps the horn at me and I don't know who it is. Yikes!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Being ostracized into irrelevancy. Sometimes I feel like it's already occurred here for some of my outspoken views.

And in my day to day life it's definitely happening that i'm aware of with my "friends".

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Loss. I am afraid of loss, having experienced it before. I know (or think I do) that my parents will die before me. I know that would be their choice. I have been through some stuff and m'Bride and me live a simple but satisfying life. She's seen some stuff too. We've been married for 25 years. We work together in the bush, making happy places for ourselves and others, and overall we do good works for others.

I am not afraid of death. Death seems like an adverse relative. I am afraid of soul-crushing loss. Ironically, that fear (for both of us) makes life liquid and dear and treasured.

Well, that was a tad bit morose than you were looking for, yeah? It's a good life. We have no children. One of us will die alone. Selah.
edit on 22/7/13 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I am positively frightened of people that want to know what scares me. BRRRR!

yeah....especially those people with "CIA" in their name, eh???

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join