It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI agent gave Whitey Bulger explosives to send to IRA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Another shocker... FBI supplied explosives to the IRA. I suppose if the allegation is true, they did it for our safety.

Go back to sleep America, everything if fine.

An FBI agent gave Whitey Bulger 40 pounds of plastic explosives most of which was sent to the IRA a key witness in the Whitey Bulger trial has stated.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret
Another shocker... FBI supplied explosives to the IRA. I suppose if the allegation is true, they did it for our safety.

An FBI agent gave Whitey Bulger 40 pounds of plastic explosives most of which was sent to the IRA a key witness in the Whitey Bulger trial has stated.

If this is true there are going to be major problems between the British and US Governments.

2nd

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

If this is true there are going to be major problems between the British and US Governments.

2nd

I doubt it. Noone is going to even notice it... Just like everything else.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

That's a rather large elephant that's just appeared in the room. Nice find, there doesn't appear to be anything on the BBC site. To me, this is a big story.

I wonder how likely it is that John Newton will either end up in Gitmo or face terrorism charges in the UK ( if the story is true).

I also wonder if the explosives were put to use and if anyone was killed. Just imagine if the explosives were used in the Brighton bomb

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I don't think it will pose any problems between our 2 countries at all. It was well known in the 70's and 80's that the American people were openly holding fund raisers for the IRA. What did the generous benefactors think the money was going to be spent on, other than the business of murder!

Funds raised in the United States ostensibly for charitable relief work in Northern Ireland have been diverted for the purchase of guns and bombmaking equipment for the outlawed Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA), according to US federal court documents. The funds, raised through pub collections and testimonial dinners by the Irish Northern Aid Committee (Noraid) of New York City, are channeled through An Cumman Cabhrach, a relief organization in Dublin.

SOURCE

So I don't think it will be any surprise at all! After all the American government have armed many armies and terrorists around the world, so why should the IRA be any different?
edit on 21/7/2013 by thefifthcat because: Originally posted with quoted text on site and not off site - whoops!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I guess you could add the IRA bombing of London to this meme

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If that's true, thanks for your continued support America. Some alliance.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It is also possible that it was something one person did on his own. He just happened to be a FBI agent. But It would be hard to convince people that Bureau didn't know about it, with all the other crap the government does.
As far as I'm concerned the government has the same level of credibility as the snitch.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This allegation comes from Bulger's old partner Steve Flemmi, and has been previously reported, although Flemmi seems to have waited a long time to report it. I believe the novelty of the story makes it less credible. Why would Flemmi wait so long to bring it up? Maybe he was receiving protection, or thought he was protecting the someone, by keeping his mouth shut all these years. Or maybe he's just lying, because he wants to bring down Newton and he knows the US takes terrorism more seriously now.

Newton has been fingered for corruption before. See reports on him from 2004 and 1998 (referencing events in the 1980s), and 2005.

edit on 21-7-2013 by FurvusRexCaeli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Alot of people condemning this as treason from the US towards Britain because they are allies; and they souldn't have armed the IRA "Terrorists".

Well the USA and UK are allies of terrorism. You don't see the IRA invading countries for oil and their own financial gain.

The Irish natives of Ireland were subjected to Imperialism and domination from the UK who occupied our territory, murdered our woman and children and divided our beautiful country.

The native Irish suffered years of slavery, starvation, murder, persecution, and genocide from the British imperialists, yet THE IRA ARE TERRORISTS?

That doesn't add up at all!

After partitioning Ireland into two, the Irish population of the North were treated like dirt.

The IRA were established to fight back against British oppression that had occurred to them; to fight back for equal rights and to have a political voice for the Irish people.

Violence, bombings and murder occurred from the IRA because they were terrorized AGAINST in the 1st place from state sponsored terrorism, in the form of UVF, UDA and all other loyalist terrorist groups that murdered innocent Irish people 1st!

I don't view the IRA as terrorists, they were fighting for a just cause in they're own country against a foreign country who invaded and occupied our land, and then subjected us as slaves and everything else.

If anyone of your countries were invaded and your country had no official military to fight back, what would your citizens do?

Think about that long and hard!

To finish my post I'd also like to add that after the Boston bombing, there were a large majority of people who hailed it as just desserts or Karma for the simple reason that Boston has a large Irish American populace who raised money for the IRA; what does that say about the people who rejoiced about this as being just desserts?

One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. If governments oppress citizens of another nation and bomb them to oblivion then it's ok.

If ACTUAL fighters for freedom bomb back against the governments who are oppressing then it's called terrorism; tell me the difference?
edit on 21-7-2013 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I don't think anyone who knows anything about The Troubles will be the least bit surprised about these revelations.
American funding of IRA terrorists still remains the source of much anger in the UK with many Americans and it's institutions.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It is also possible that it was something one person did on his own. He just happened to be a FBI agent. But It would be hard to convince people that Bureau didn't know about it, with all the other crap the government does.
As far as I'm concerned the government has the same level of credibility as the snitch.

I would also like to think that it was a 'rogue agent' rather than full on state sponsored terrorism. What would they habe to gain by destabilizing the tory government of the day. Maybe a labour government, but not a tory one.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I don't think anyone who knows anything about The Troubles will be the least bit surprised about these revelations.
American funding of IRA terrorists still remains the source of much anger in the UK with many Americans and it's institutions.

I absolutely agree with your comments.

I'd like to point out though that the British Government itself were funding and arming terrorist organizations themselves, so where is the outrage at that? It's a little hypocritical isn't it?

They find out that an ex FBI agent was funding the IRA, British people = outraged.

They know British Government armed UVF, UDA etc, British people = meh.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chipkin9

I'd love to discuss your take on the actions of the IRA etc and The Troubles as a whole, but I think you may be missing the point of this thread.
It's not about The Troubles per se but rather American support of a group of people who were actively involved in bombings and other illegal activities against America's 'close ally' with whom they allegedly have a 'special relationship'.

As a point of interest it's worth noting that in aftermath of 9/11 when the USA experienced their own act of terrorism on home soil funding from the USA to the IRA etc dried up which resulted in speeding up the peace process - how many people would still be alive today if that funding hadn't occurred in the first place?

And for the record, I don't know one single person who 'hailed' the Boston bombing as 'karmic' or anything of the sort but I guess there will be a very small minority of people who feel that.
But I must say it's a bit rich expressing disgust at such an attitude yet displaying absolutely no compassion at all for the hundreds of innocent victims of the para-militaries activities.

Hypocrisy, double standards, sensationalist and possibly even deliberate deflection tactics aimed at directing emotions against those who the IRA allegedly opposed rather than those who funded and enabled their terrorism.
edit on 21/7/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

British government involvement in the activities of the loyalist para-militaries is well known, was completely abhorrent, has been discussed in several threads here on ATS and is not the topic of this thread.

The para-militaries, on both sides, were nothing more than drug running, gun smuggling, extortionist racketeers who have done absolutely nothing positive for the peoples of Ireland.

But again, that is not relevant here.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I'd love to discuss your take on the actions of the IRA etc and The Troubles as a whole, but I think you may be missing the point of this thread.
It's not about The Troubles per se but ratjer American support of a group of people who were actively involved in bombings and other illegal activities against America's 'close ally' with whom they allegedly have a 'special relationship'.

As a point of interest it's worth noting that in aftermath of 9/11 when the USA experienced their own act of terrorism on home soil funding from the USA to the IRA etc dried up which resulted in speeding up the peace process - how many people would still be alive today if that funding hadn't occurred in the first place?

And for the record, I don't know one single person who 'hailed' the Boston bombing as 'karmic' or anything of the sort but I guess there will be a very small minority of people who feel that.
But I must say it's a bit rich expressing disgust at such an attitude yet displaying absolutely no compassion at all for the hundreds of innocent victims of the para-militaries activities.

Hypocrisy, double standards, sensationalist and possibly even deliberate deflection tactics aimed at directing emotions against those who the IRA allegedly opposed rather than those who funded and enabled their terrorism.

I'm not missing the point of the thread at all.

The FBI and the American government were funding a "terrorist" organization, and it's an outrageous thing to have done (From Britains perspective) considering the US and Britain are supposed to be best buddies.

It's good that funding to the IRA stopped and that the peace process is working, but to suggest that it was thanks to 9/11 is ridiculous and insensitive to say the least.

Basically thanks to the death of 7k+ innocent Americans, funding to the IRA stopped

The peace process would have continued on regardless and funding to the IRA would have ended sooner or later thank to the global recession (Wherever all that moneys going to anyway?).

And yes, ALOT of people here and other places (Yahoo answers etc) made the point that the BBing was justified because Bostonians funded the IRA.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

British government involvement in the activities of the loyalist para-militaries is well known, was completely abhorrent, has been discussed in several threads here on ATS and is not the topic of this thread.

The para-militaries, on both sides, were nothing more than drug running, gun smuggling, extortionist racketeers who have done absolutely nothing positive for the peoples of Ireland.

But again, that is not relevant here.

No need to reiterate the irrelevance of the Irish Troubles to this thread.

I understand it isn't.

But my point about the British Government arming and funding terrorist organizations is completely valid in this thread.

It's only when the US government arm and fund a terrorist organization that targets Britain; that British people have a sense of outrage.

But there is no condemnation of the British Government who supplied to a terrorist organization.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and Britain is in no position to be outraged that America funded a terrorist organization, when the Brits did the EXACT same thing.

In my opinion the US and British governments are engaged in terrorist activities in the middle east, but it's not terrorism because it's the Governments official militia.

Just making a point that should be discussed, not being argumentative!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

The FBI and the American government were funding a "terrorist" organization, and it's an outrageous thing to have done (From Britains perspective) considering the US and Britain are supposed to be best buddies.

Seems we agree on something.

It's good that funding to the IRA stopped and that the peace process is working, but to suggest that it was thanks to 9/11 is ridiculous and insensitive to say the least.

More common ground - the peace process must continue, it's vital for both The Republic's and Ulster's ongoing development.

But it was more than coincidence that after 9/11 most of the funding from the USA dried up and whilst that didn't initiate the peace process it certainly did speed it up.

And yes, ALOT of people here and other places (Yahoo answers etc) made the point that the BBing was justified because Bostonians funded the IRA.

If that's true, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then that is contemptible.
But I've got to say that I've not witnessed any similar instances myself and the vast majority of British people do not share those sentiments.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Seems we agree on something.

More common ground - the peace process must continue, it's vital for both The Republic's and Ulster's ongoing development.

But it was more than coincidence that after 9/11 most of the funding from the USA dried up and whilst that didn't initiate the peace process it certainly did speed it up.

If that's true, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then that is contemptible.
But I've got to say that I've not witnessed any similar instances myself and the vast majority of British people do not share those sentiments.

Ok a star for this post.

But the Irish Troubles aren't relevant here

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Your absolutely right about the British Government also supplying arms to terrorists as well, another reason why I don't believe you will here too much complaining from here. None of them have clean hands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join