It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great crockpot recipe for fresh greens!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I searched and did not see any posts please forgive me if it has been posted. This is a recipe that I have been eating since I was in grade school as my family had a huge garden and ate fresh vegies all summer. It is simple, hearty and deliscious! Modify to your own taste and you won't be disappointed!

Ingredients:

-Fresh green beans
-1 yellow onion-diced
-2 to 4 cloves fresh garlic (I use this instead of salt)
-Smoked ham hocks, meaty ham bone or chunked ham
-B size potatoes
-Bacon

Clean and cut beans to your liking. Fill crockpot 1/2 to 3/4 with beans. Add diced onion, chopped or minced garlic, fresh ground black pepper, ham and bacon. Cook on high for 5-7 hours. Remove any bones from meat and return meat to crockpot. Let crockpot get back up to temperature and boil for about 30 minutes. Add potatoes when beans are tender and cook until the potatoes are done. Serve! Great with other summer vegies like sliced tomatoes and some cottage cheese!

If you let this cook all day in the crockpot this recipe is great. Please respond with any suggestions, concerns or likes! Enjoy. Btw-I am making this right now!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
When you said greens ,I envisioned something else. I seem to desperately want to add something like kale or broccoli rabe to this .

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It almost sound like escarole and bean soup if you take out the green beans and potato and add two cans of white cannellini beans add sliced Italian pepperoni (1/2 stick)
then 2 heads of escarole YUM! Some crunchy Italian bread to sop up the juices.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by undertheraydar

Sounds like a good pot o' beans. Its hard to beat green beans, some kind of pork and taters.

When I read the title I thought you were going to be talking about collards.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by undertheraydar

Bring to a boil? I didn't see anything in the recipe about adding any kind of liquid. Am I missing something, or are you?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yes you add liquid and let cook for a long time. And you can add anything you want. Geographical areas will differ in taste. Just have plenty of meat and taters. And yes it can be ate as a soup but I try to stay away from that with all the fat that cooks out of the pork. Enjoy and all comments welcome!

top topics

join