It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Legal "experts" begin drawing up new Egyptian Constitution

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...



CAIRO (Reuters) - A panel of legal experts started work on Sunday to revise Egypt's Islamist-tinged constitution, a vital first step on the road to fresh elections ordered by the army following its removal of Mohamed Mursi as president.

Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood, which has accused the army of orchestrating a military coup and denounced plans to revise the constitution, staged fresh rallies on Sunday to maintain pressure on the new, interim government.

Setting a highly ambitious timeframe, the military wants new elections in around six months and has tasked a panel of 10 legal experts to present proposed changes to the constitution within 30 days for review before a broader-based body.



"The problem is not amending or drafting the constitution, the problem is deciding the direction the country is headed," said Zaid Al-Ali of International IDEA, a Stockholm-based intergovernmental organization.

"Unless political agreement is reached between all of the major political actors in the country, we are going to head from one crisis to another," he said.



Sounds about as fair a way as possible, under the circumstances. Seems like the UN's choice for President or PM was a guy name elBaredei--I would guess he's still their man--if the Egyptian army is willing to protect him.
Seems like he's just been named interim President:
www.aljazeera.com...
edit on 21-7-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)




posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com... few extra links for ya op


CAIRO -- Egyptian women worry that the new Islamist constitution will allow judges to enforce abusive practices against women, even approving marriages of girls as young as 9, and some are organizing to protect their rights. "The constitutional process was flawed from the start since the committee overseeing it was mostly comprised of men who view women's role as either sex objects or servants," says Nehad Abul Komsan, director of the Egyptian Center for Women's Rights. The constitution, drafted by members of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, which won a majority of seats in parliamentary elections, was approved by voters last month in a national vote.


www.huffingtonpost.com... new cabinet seems to contain chiristians and women so at least that is a semi good sign on the matter


CAIRO — Egypt's interim leader swore in a Cabinet on Tuesday that included women and Christians but no Islamists as the military-backed administration moved swiftly to formalize the new political order and present a more liberal face that is markedly at odds with the deposed president and his supporters.


www.newser.com...

world.time.com... times take on the matter



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If they want a fair constitution, why are they letting legal experts write it up? They are the kind of people who wrote the last crap up.



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse
 


is this simaler to how we wrote japans constitution post ww2 in the sense that its done in the same way? i mean who helped make japans constitutions lawyers or like politicians or economists and legislators this stuff is usually way over my head so any clarification would be nice



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
www.usatoday.com... few extra links for ya op


CAIRO -- Egyptian women worry that the new Islamist constitution will allow judges to enforce abusive practices against women, even approving marriages of girls as young as 9, and some are organizing to protect their rights. "The constitutional process was flawed from the start since the committee overseeing it was mostly comprised of men who view women's role as either sex objects or servants," says Nehad Abul Komsan, director of the Egyptian Center for Women's Rights. The constitution, drafted by members of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, which won a majority of seats in parliamentary elections, was approved by voters last month in a national vote.


www.huffingtonpost.com... new cabinet seems to contain chiristians and women so at least that is a semi good sign on the matter


CAIRO — Egypt's interim leader swore in a Cabinet on Tuesday that included women and Christians but no Islamists as the military-backed administration moved swiftly to formalize the new political order and present a more liberal face that is markedly at odds with the deposed president and his supporters.


www.newser.com...

world.time.com... times take on the matter


thanks for those links. Here's some interesting news from the worldtimes link you gave:

CAIRO) — Egypt’s interim leader swore in a Cabinet on Tuesday that included women and Christians but no Islamists as the military-backed administration moved swiftly to formalize the new political order and present a more liberal face that is markedly at odds with the deposed president and his supporters.

The changes came at a time of deep polarization and violence in Egypt, including new clashes that killed seven people as part of the continuing bloodshed that has marked the days following the armed forces coup that swept President Mohammed Morsi from office and cracked down on the Muslim Brotherhood.

Read more: world.time.com...



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
If they want a fair constitution, why are they letting legal experts write it up? They are the kind of people who wrote the last crap up.


Not really.


After a vigorous public campaign by the opposition to reject the constitution, it was approved by the public by almost two to one. The next constitutional step would have been parliamentary elections within sixty days.

www.globalresearch.ca...



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle
 


wait the public gets a say in this thats amazing and good for egypt then this could be a very good sign



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by frazzle
 


wait the public gets a say in this thats amazing and good for egypt then this could be a very good sign


I don't know if they'll get a say in it this time around, the last constitution (the one that just got thrown out) is the one the public voted on.



posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle
 


The language is probably so complicated that the people do not know what it really says. There are always loopholes left in Legal documents, some that are good, and some that are bad for people.



posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by frazzle
 


The language is probably so complicated that the people do not know what it really says. There are always loopholes left in Legal documents, some that are good, and some that are bad for people.


That could be said of ours, as well (the complicated bit). Lots of loopholes in ours, too, and no one knows what it really says or doesn't say. Not to mention the American people never got to read or vote on US Constitution before it was adopted, as was done in Egypt. I'm waiting to see if this new one gets vetted by the people. If so, good. If not I won't be surprised.



posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle
 


I'm interested to find out how it turns out too. Our original constitution was pretty simple but the system has got very complex, maybe a little too complex. People constantly try to bend the law to fit their desires.



posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by frazzle
 


I'm interested to find out how it turns out too. Our original constitution was pretty simple but the system has got very complex, maybe a little too complex. People constantly try to bend the law to fit their desires.


Actually it wasn't simple at all when you take the Commerce Clause, the General Welfare Clause, The Supremacy Clause and the Necessary and Proper clause into consideration. Even the founders didn't agree on what necessary and proper meant. That's exactly WHY law has gotten so complex. And fast forwarding from the founders, what the gang of eight thinks, or Boehner thinks, or Reid thinks is necessary and proper isn't necessarily proper.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Sorry to go off topic. I just get a little disturbed when we try to tell Egypt or anyone else what is proper and necessary for them to do.



edit on 22-7-2013 by frazzle because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join