Open invitation to a thief!

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I was out in my car most of yesterday and had the sunroof plus side and drivers window open because we are going through a heat wave here.
Car is parked really close to my house and every morning I always check on it as there used to be a spate of break ins here. I myself lost a car stereo years ago and broken window as did others.
Today I noticed I had left my drivers window all the way down overnight!
On checking, nothing had been touched so I was very lucky to say the least.
Never done that in my life before and never will again. A moment of madness and a thief could have come along and helped them self with no problem at all.
Don't think my insurance would have been happy or even paid out if anything had been stolen....
Moral of the story is, check everything is locked before you leave your car in future!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Wow... It's so sad to hear you talk like that. I don't know why, but I hadn't imagine Scotland to be that bad overall. What area in general? I mean, a big city or rural area?

I rarely lock vehicles here and I'm in the city. we've had periods of theft in the neighborhood over the years but passing issues. I imagine everyone does at one time or another. It's funny though. Living in California? I wouldn't leave a vehicle unlocked in my own driveway. Here? I don't even lock it most of the time in parking lots or at school.

I guess experiences vary wildly between places and I know where I am is somewhat unusual for the U.S. these days...but don't let anyone say these places don't still exist!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We had a spate of car break in recently for no reason. I myself had a front door ripped wide open with a tyre iron so that he could steal my car stereo. If he had smashed the window I could have replaced that but the full door was damaged so it cost me a new door.
They finally got the jail but doesn't happen too much but still worrying...
I live in a smallish town and car is parked really close to the house but plenty of people walk pass each day.
edit on 21-7-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Isn't that a sad state of affairs? I know where I am, it's a fluke and nothing I can ever expect to last. I just enjoy it while I still have it. When it's gone though...it'll be back to what it is everywhere else. Same routine. Lock it, double lock it and then check again to be sure.

I think the worst thing is, theft has become SO common place and so prevalent, we actually blame ourselves for something like an unlocked door. As if temptation would make a good boy go bad. What do we do though, right? There isn't much alternative for avg. folk to change anything.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

It use to happen to me very often,I left the drivers window down over the night many times because I was working until 2 am at the office and I was comming back at home very tired.

But they didn't steal anything although my car have big plastic pockets under the chair and one night I left more than 10,000 queens in cash and the car with open _

But nothing happened.

edit on 21-7-2013 by piequal3because14 because: add

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If you had of had anything stolen all you would need to do is stick a screwdriver into your key hole and make it look like a break in. But these days is not worth claiming for minor things as they screw you over in the long term with premiums anyway. Insurance companies are the worst kind of thieves. I'm also lucky to live somewhere with virtually no instances of theft. But just in case I have a four legged security alarm as a backup. I would have thought Scotland would have been pretty good, but you never can be to sure hey.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The only reason I put the windows up in my truck is because every time I don't, it rains lol.... I go to work and leave my front door open. Sometimes I close it but never lock it.

I haven't had any thieves but do get girlfriends coming over when I'm at work to do my dishes and leave me cookies and cupcakes and Mt.dew. Always a nice surprise

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
About a week ago I couldn't find my keys. I turned the house upside down looking for them.
Eventualy I found a spare set and I opened my door to leave and there they were, still in the lock on the outside

I can blame my age Davy1, whats your excuse

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinner07
I haven't had any thieves but do get girlfriends coming over when I'm at work to do my dishes and leave me cookies and cupcakes and Mt.dew. Always a nice surprise

Now where in the heck did you find girls like that? Multiple, no less? I ask my wife about dirty dishes and she asks me when I'm going to clean them.

I'd fall over in a dead shock to find a cookie on my desk that I didn't unwrap and leave there. lol

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
i have gone years without locking my door when i am home and even left the keys in the door all weekend on the outside when i have gone away .

it is those mad funkies { junkies } i lived in the central belt i know how bad it can be

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Imagine my surprise coming home after work to find the fence gate wide open, garage door wide open and the inner garage door and front house door unlocked and hubby is no where to be found. Took off to go play poker and forgot he should shut ANYTHING up. Sigh.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We had to start locking our car doors at night a few years ago after finding out some kids from down the road had run away from home and had been sleeping in our vehicles at night. We wondered where all the change had been disappearing off to, so one night my hubby woke up in the wee hours and went out to check the car and truck- there was a kid asleep in each of them! We called the police and their parents, you should have seen the look on those kids faces when they were awakened by the police and irate mom and dad! We've locked them up ever since.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Bet you got a surprise when you found that out! We had a spate of teenagers breaking car windows here a while ago just for kicks but it has all been quiet for a while. When my car door was broken and twisted with a car lever, I reported it to the police when it happened on a Sunday and they never got back to me until the Wednesday and asked if anyone had touched it by then!
As it was an old car I used for a runabout, it was scrapped as it would have cost too much to be repaired. I told the police to go back to putting their feet up but he didn't see the funny side for some reason

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

lucky you do not live in the highlands i was in a female friends house a few weeks ago and popped to the shops to get milk while i was out her and her boyfriend had a barny but just shouting at each other seconds after i got back 10 cops arrived
6 at the front door and 4 at the rear of the house .

felt like i was in america for a moment ??

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

We never really see the police around here. I once was behind a police car who went through a red light without sirens or anything going. I pulled beside him and asked what gave him the right to do that when I would have got a ticket. His answer was, because I can! They fly by me on the bypass when I'm doing the maximum speed as if I am standing still and also with no sirens or blue light going as well!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

i have seen the same up here boy racer competitions and it's the police doing it testing out the speed of new cars and near public houses .

it's a friggin police state up here compared to your bit hundreds turn up for the slightest thing but in the central belt you wait hours for a plod if you are lucky

top topics

join