It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Any Religion's Timeline Be Proven?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Can any religion's timeline be proven or is it all blind faith?

I awoke this morning and have been contemplating this seemingly basic question and cannot seem to find a solid answer.

Please try to stay on the basic topic as much as possible.

edit on 21-7-2013 by TheFinder because: Added content

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

What do you mean by religion's timeline? If I think I know what you mean we need to look for evidence which could help us understand if any events from religions took place. What do you think OP?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I knew this would be difficult to try to simplify, and thank you for replying.

What I mean is, what events have taken place that can be proven that warrant worship and following?

Is there any with a concrete foundation in a creator or is it all assumptions and ideas?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

You might start with Hinduism, what with being the oldest religion on the planet.
Stories, more notably some places based in the Hindu mythology have archaeological confirmation.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
You can easily prove Christianity timeline, since Romans did good work preserving their history. Bible has a lot common with history of Rome.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Let me preface this by mentioning that I am a Christian, so I can only share what I know of Christian history. I haven't studied other religions anywhere NEAR enough to know anything about how their timeline holds up.

I wouldn't necessarily say that you could ever truly align it with one or the other. You can't definitively prove that everything lines up perfectly for a couple of reasons. For one, if we had absolute proof that everything in the Bible was true, there would be no true faith involved. Secondly, our knowledge of ancient history is limited by the archaeological discoveries that have been made. Which then raises another question, does the evidence not exist, or have we simply not found that evidence?

At the same time, I personally think it'd take a complete fool to claim that there is absolutely no evidence for the biblical timeline. There are a number of ancient societies that existed when the Bible says they did, where the Bible says they did, and the Bible often does a rather accurate job at the names of some of their rulers. So I believe that it's rather safe to believe that some of the details described in the Bible occurred when it describes in the general way it describes. For example, Israel being conquered by the Babylonians.

I think that overall, Christianity at least can be separated into two categories: what can be proven (or at least is likely) to be true/possible, such as the wanderings of the Israelites, and what does have to be taken on faith (like the miraculous signs that Jesus performed.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by EPH612

I agree with you. There should be evidence to prove certain individual, countries, etc existed in the past. However, we should be skeptical and learn how to interpret the evidence properly.

Maybe a legendary king existed in the past who won many battles. But the myths transformed him into a whole different character. Which cause the people of the present to see him in a different light. Hopefully this makes sense.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Any Abrahamic religion timeline can be easily disproven.
The Old Testament ... the Earth is NOT 6,000 years old.
And it's impossible for the Earth to have repopulated after
Noahs Ark allegedly wiped out everyone except one family
just a few thousand years ago. So obviously that didn't happen.

That takes Christianity, Islam and the Jewish faith out of the discussion.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
That is exactly the sort of reply I am looking for.

So, if it so obviously NOT true, then how are so many people of 'educated' backgrounds, followers?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're correct. Look at the similarities between stories like the Epic of Gilgamesh and Noah's Ark. As well the narrative of Sargon of Akkad being sent adrift in a basket in a river. Which is similar to Moses being sent adrift to save him. So it's difficult to say someone from the bible can be real while there are other characters who are very similar and older then them. Which questions if they were created by the imaginations of anonymous people in the past.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinder
Can any religion's timeline be proven or is it all blind faith?

I awoke this morning and have been contemplating this seemingly basic question and cannot seem to find a solid answer.

Please try to stay on the basic topic as much as possible.

edit on 21-7-2013 by TheFinder because: Added content

If you are asking about timelines that facilitate the mythology, then I'd say most religions are pretty spot-on. The reason is because, for the most part, everything will usually line up except for the creation stories and even some of them logically fits into a timeline.

Basically, when you are looking at religion and "proof", it's like using a bunch of footprints on the ground to prove what color of hats they were wearing. In most cases the only reliable evidence is what they left written for us.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

All religion points to this moment.
The root of all religion is oneness - wholeness - peace and harmony - no conflict - unconditional love.
If you look in time then you have imagined or believed in something outside of this moment of presence.
This moment of presence is what unites all things and is what the root of religion is pointing to.

Timeless being is the root of all there is - it is all there is.
God is ever present as this that is happening. God is aliveness - the life, the way and the truth.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Um... the Bible does not say that the Earth is 6,000 years old. Check your source material again.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinder
That is exactly the sort of reply I am looking for.

So, if it so obviously NOT true, then how are so many people of 'educated' backgrounds, followers?

Because following God doesn't come solely from your mind, it also comes from your heart. There are some things in religion that science hasn't successfully explained. Try talking to someone who has felt the Holy Spirit move (and there's a surprising number of us), and try telling them that it was a figment of their imagination. See how far you get. So you've either got something that's beyond us human beings, or you've got a massive epidemic of crazy people with strikingly similar hallucinations, that often occur at different times, in different places.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

That takes Christianity, Islam and the Jewish faith out of the discussion.

You may want to read the book the 7 daughter of EVE. It proves through DNA that all of mankind can be traced back to 7 women.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375922842&sr=1-1&keywords=7+daughters+of+eve[ editby]edit on 7-8-2013 by guitarplayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Originally posted by Thebel
You can easily prove Christianity timeline, since Romans did good work preserving their history. Bible has a lot common with history of Rome.

Yeh, the history of Rome begins with a myth also.

By the way, I seem to remember that the Christians are unable to even agree on the year that Christ was born--hardly a good start to any history.
edit on 9-8-2013 by swordwords because: changed word

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Newer religions such a Mormonism and Scientology seem to have a fairly clear timelines, but that does not make them anymore believable. (I am referring to the history from their founding and not the history that they adopted.) One might even argue that their less muddled histories make them less believable.
edit on 9-8-2013 by swordwords because: added clarification

new topics

top topics

active topics

join