It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian woman: I was raped in Dubai, now I face prison sentence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Female rape victim calls the Dubai police.
The police say - 'Are you sure you called the police because you just didn't like it?'.
Female rape victim is thrown in jail and charged with major crimes.
Male rapist gets off without charges.

:shk:

CNN - Norwegian woman: I was raped in Dubai, now I face prison sentence

Norwegian interior designer Marte Deborah Dalelv has spoken out after being handed a 16-month prison sentence in Dubai -- after she went to police to report she had been raped by a colleague. The 24-year-old was convicted and sentenced on charges of having unlawful sex, making a false statement and illegal consumption of alcohol. Her story is dominating the headlines in Norway, and has raised serious questions over the way women who allege sexual assault are treated in the United Arab Emirates.

Dubai has a history of treating rape victims like criminals.
A few recent high profile cases -

In December 2012, a British woman reported being raped by three men in Dubai. She was found guilty of drinking alcohol without a license and fined. In January 2010, a British woman told authorities she was raped by an employee at a Dubai hotel. She was charged with public intoxication and having sex outside of marriage. An Australian woman reported in 2008 that she was drugged and gang-raped. She was convicted of having sex outside marriage and drinking alcohol, and she was sentenced to 11 months in prison.

We only hear about what happens to foreigners who are raped in Dubai.
The women of that country have no one to speak out for them.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be for them.

Human Rights Watch - Dubai

Despite the existence of shelters and hotlines to help protect women, domestic violence remains a pervasive problem. The penal code gives men the legal right to discipline their wives and children, including through the use of physical violence. In October the Federal Supreme Court issued a ruling that upheld a husband's right to "chastise" his wife and children with physical abuse.

In January a Dubai court charged 23-year-old British woman and her fiance with having illegal sex and drinking outside permitted premises after the woman reported to police that a hotel employee had raped her. In June the Abu Dhabi criminal court sentenced an 18-year-old Emirati woman to a year in prison for illicit sex after she complained that six men gang-raped her a month earlier.

According to a survey conducted in January 2010 of 980 UAE residents, 55 percent of the female respondents said they would not report a sexual assault for fear of tarnishing their family's reputation, and 49 percent would not do so because society would judge them harshly

UAE - Unfair trial, unfair sentences

Beware of Shariah - Australian Jailed in Dubai for Reporting Her Own Gang Rape

The Independent - The Dark Side of Dubai

The thing you have to understand about Dubai is – nothing is what it seems," Karen says at last. "Nothing. This isn't a city, it's a con-job. They lure you in telling you it's one thing – a modern kind of place – but beneath the surface it's a medieval dictatorship."

edit on 7/21/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is the answer I have for people when the suggest banning alcohol again to "save the children". It seems like... Criminalizing normal behaviours seems to legalize criminal ones indirectly somehow.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is abhorrent, repugnant, completely unacceptable and utterly disgusting.

I don't care how much of an income boost anyone might offer to work in Dubai.
Visiting and working in such places where these kind of violations are ignored and even encouraged is akin to supporting these unconscionable brutalities.

As to what I'd like seen done to these societies that condone these behaviors ... for the sake of T & C, I'll not say, but it would not be pretty.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

This is a long article, but it really got me.
Dubai has been sold as some kind of wonderland for foreigners.
It's supposed to be 'progressive' and a safe place and beautiful.
But after reading this, I can say that no matter how many pretty new buildings
Dubai has, it is pretty darn backwards and ugly ....

The Independent - The Dark Side of Dubai

The thing you have to understand about Dubai is – nothing is what it seems," Karen says at last. "Nothing. This isn't a city, it's a con-job. They lure you in telling you it's one thing – a modern kind of place – but beneath the surface it's a medieval dictatorship."

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
People talk about America being New Babylon, maybe its really Dubai, where they do this kind of crap

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Reading between the lines of Dubai law, they tend to use this pseudo intellectualism to support this re-victimization of victims because in their view they see Rape and the reporting of rape as an attack on the image of their society, the hotlines are not there to assist the victims but used as a dragnet to dispel and criminalize those reporting, they then treat victims as if they are actually 'confessing' to the crime being committed by them. So it is clear that when Dubai law reads that rape is a crime, any one who reports this "crime against society" will be accordingly punished.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Insane, sick, disgusting, horrendous & loathsome.

This being said. It's terrible how they treat women in the middle east.

Makes me wonder why the hell anyone would go there willingly if they are a female?

I'm not blaming the victims for what happened to them. Please don't misconstrue. It shouldn't happen to them at all.

But the middle east is kinda known for this kind of behavior. Shouldn't any woman thinking of accepting a job there pause for a moment, and think. "you know, women have nearly no rights whatsoever in that desert hellhole, is the money worth me being raped and then put in jail for being raped?"

Again, it's not their fault what happened. And to punish them for it is ludicrous.

But, still, I don't go to Texas because well, Texas is full of Texans. And if I ever went there, I wouldn't be surprised if I was burned at the stake as a witch or murdered for being less than hard core extremist politically right wing.

If you have a vagina, maybe the place for you isn't a country where people with vaginas are treated worse than fecal matter.

Again, not saying that they asked for what happened to them, or that it's justified in any way shape or form, because it isn't and they didn't ask for it, and certainly didn't deserve it.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Any woman who visits any of those countries where women are treated like animals is out of her mind. But I did think Dubai was a little better.

I'll never understand.... "want to go hiking in the mountains? I know! Let's go to Afghanistan!"

Civilized folks should boycott all those places. They are brutal.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Seems that someone high up has finally been made to see sense.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A Norwegian woman at the center of a Dubai rape claim dispute said Sunday that officials have dropped her 16-month sentence for having sex outside marri

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It appears that the public outcry has secured her pardon

UAE pardons Norwegian woman jailed in Dubai after reporting rape

(Reuters) - The United Arab Emirates has pardoned a Norwegian woman who was sentenced to jail for illicit sex after she reported being raped by a colleague while on a visit to Dubai, the Norwegian foreign minister said on Monday.

REUTERS

I am glad to see she will likely be heading home soon.

In the United Arab Emirates, as in some other countries using Islamic law, a rape conviction can require either a confession or the testimony of four adult male witnesses.

Wow, the above is a bit insane in contrast to our own laws.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
YAHOO News - Norwegian rape victim 'pardoned' by Dubai

So .. Dubai lets the rapist get away with rape ... and they 'pardon' the rape victim for her 'crimes'.
At least she can get out of that sharia-law hell hole. :shk:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It's really ridiculous and disgusting that law enforcement giving punishment to women by telling all sort of wrong things about the women..

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
While ridiculous, it is pretty risky to drink in a nation that outlaws it. I mean, you've got NO idea what is going to be in it, and a HUGE degree of trust in the server to do so.... I doubt any of these rapists are new to this. While insane, at least some of the blame has to go on the women not being aware of where they are, and what they are doing. They are forgetting that in the eyes of those people, they are second class citizens, and foreign or not (or especially being foreign), they'll be treated like it. It's part of the bargain for working there. They need to be aware of the kind of environment that is and not take stupid risks. Should such an environment exist? Of course not...but not our rules.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
While ridiculous, it is pretty risky to drink in a nation that outlaws it. I mean, you've got NO idea what is going to be in it, and a HUGE degree of trust in the server to do so.... I doubt any of these rapists are new to this. While insane, at least some of the blame has to go on the women not being aware of where they are, and what they are doing. They are forgetting that in the eyes of those people, they are second class citizens, and foreign or not (or especially being foreign), they'll be treated like it. It's part of the bargain for working there. They need to be aware of the kind of environment that is and not take stupid risks. Should such an environment exist? Of course not...but not our rules.

I don't think you get the picture. Did you read anywhere that the women had been drinking by their own admission? They were ALL charged with illicit sex crimes, drinking and filing a false report. These were ALL lies.

It's easy to miss the forest for the trees.

As for women traveling to dangerous places, yes they should be able to safely. But the fact remains, there is great difference between cultures and sometimes people have to make decisions based on safety and not monetary gain. I do believe though, many of these women are unaware of the potential danger because the info is hidden from the public.
edit on 25-7-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

There are other sources if you dig deeper. Yes they both admitted drinking liquor.

Source

Dubai: A Norwegian woman has been sentenced to 16 months in jail for getting drunk and having consensual sex with her boss, whom she claimed raped her in his hotel room.

The Dubai Misdemeanour Court handed the 24-year-old Norwegian, Marte Deborah Dalelv, a three-month imprisonment for falsely reporting to police that she was raped, a month’s imprisonment for drinking and 12 months for having consensual sex.

Dalelv ’s 33-year-old Sudanese boss, H.A., was jailed for 13 months for consuming liquor and having consensual sex. When the woman appeared in courtroom nine, she admitted to drinking alcohol. She denied having consensual sex and falsely reporting to police that she was raped on March 6.

She said H.A. had sex with her against her will while she slept on his bed.
Dubai Police’s forensic report confirmed that the woman had sex but there was no mention of any physical violence.

The Sudanese, who came to Dubai with Dalelv on a business visit from Qatar, pleaded guilty and confessed to having consensual sex.

Dalelv’s advocate Mahmoud Azab Abu Gareda told Gulf News on Sunday that they had already appealed the primary verdict. The first appellate hearing is scheduled for September 5.

Prosecution records quoted the woman admitting that she had consensual sex with H.A.
She said they left the nightclub where they were drinking, according to her prosecution statement, at 3am and went to the hotel where they were staying near Safa Park.

Dalelv claimed to prosecutors that H.A. suggested that she sleep in his room to wake up for an early business meeting.

The woman undressed and slept in her underwear on the bed while the Sudanese slept on the couch for a while before he moved to a bed beside her, she claimed.

Prosecution records cited Dalelv admitting that she initiated the sexual activity with H.A. and he responded.
When asked by the investigating prosecutor why she reported to the police that she was raped, the Norwegian claimed it was because she was under the influence of liquor.

Meanwhile police records said Dalelv informed police that H.A. had sex with her against her will.

She alleged to police interrogators that after she jumped into bed in her underwear, her boss slept on the couch.
The woman claimed she was sleeping when she woke up in pain and realized that H.A. was having sex with her. She claimed that she asked him to stop repeatedly and attempted to push him away.

When the case appeared in court, advocate Abu Gareda asked the court to dismiss his client’s consensual sex charge and giving a false statement to the police.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Excuse me..!

How is so different between Norwegian laws and Dubai laws..? If she was in Norway and get (supposedly raped) by her colleague the law and court will charge the man and put him in prison till the facts pop up (with this popular bureaucracy hell in this country he’ll be behind the bars for quite sometimes).

Now you guys criticizing Dubai laws and why they put her behind the bars and not questioning why it is vice a versa in western countries (especially in Scandinavia)..?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Both surely have different laws. Most Muslim countries uses Shariah law in dispensing justice and I think UAE laws are based on Shariah also and i'm pretty sure Shariah don't exist on any Scandinavian countries.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I don't think you get the picture. Did you read anywhere that the women had been drinking by their own admission? They were ALL charged with illicit sex crimes, drinking and filing a false report. These were ALL lies.

See above. They were drinking. Some had sex outside of marriage. May not seem like a serious offense to us, but there? I lived in the Middle East before, and I'm very familiar with their views and laws. While the vast majority of fault lies with those who victimized the women, the women did have SOME fault of their own, that's all I'm saying. They aren't 100% innocent here. They are briefed on what to expect culturally, the do's and don'ts, etc. They took big risks engaging in the behavior, and suffered unspeakable crimes because of it.
edit on 25-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marhaba
reply to post by amkia

Both surely have different laws. Most Muslim countries uses Shariah law in dispensing justice and I think UAE laws are based on Shariah also and i'm pretty sure Shariah don't exist on any Scandinavian countries.

I am well aware of both laws, but there is proverb saying When in Rome, do as the Romans do or face the consequences, right..?

They both clearly broke the local laws and now she is whining!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Well I wasn't sure if I understood correctly what you've posted thus why i only commented on your first sentence, now this makes clear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join