It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hinduism's discription of Hell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...(Hinduism)

You can read the 28 versions on the link above

The number and names of hells as well as the type of sinners sent to a particular hell, varies from text to text, however many scriptures describe 28 hells.[1] After death, messengers of Yama called Yamadutas bring all beings to the court of Yama, where he weighs the virtues and the vices of the being and passes a judgement, sending the virtuous to Svarga (heaven) and the sinners to one of the hells. The stay in Svarga or Naraka is generally described as temporary. After the quantum of punishment is over, the souls are reborn as lower or higher beings as per their merits

So basically you end up in heaven or hell based on your merits and you stay there for sometimes till your quantum of punishment in hell or Luxurious and enjoyable life in heaven is over from which your sent back to be reborn ...

Below i will quote some of the type of hells which really surprised me

Vaitarni/Vaitarna (to be crossed): It is a river that is believed to lie between Naraka and the earth. This river, which forms the boundary of Naraka, is filled with excreta, urine, pus, blood, hair, nails, bones, marrow, flesh and fat, where fierce aquatic beings eat the person's flesh. As per the Bhagavata Purana and the Devi Bhagavata Purana, a person born in a respectable family – kshatriya (warrior-caste), royal family or government official – who neglects his duty is thrown into this river of hell.[2][3] The Vishnu Purana assigns it to the destroyer of a bee-hive or a town

OMg......the one above.....

Sarameyadana (hell of the sons of Sarama): Plunderers who burn houses and poison people for wealth, and kings and other government officials who grab money of merchants, mass murder or ruin the nation, are cast into this hell. Seven hundred and twenty ferocious dogs, the sons of Sarama, with razor-sharp teeth, prey on them at the behest of Yamadutas.[

Shukaramukha (hog's mouth): It houses kings or government officials who punish the innocent or grant corporal punishment to a Brahmin. Yamadutas crush him as sugar cane is crushed to extract juice. He will yell and scream in agony, just as the guiltless suffered.[2][3]

Kumbhipaka (cooked in a pot): A person, who cooks animals and birds, is cooked alive in boiling oil by Yamadutas here for as many years as there were hairs on the bodies of their animal victims.[2][3]

This above one really kinda scares me

I would love if people would gave their incites into the matter , and their opinions ... There are more in the link if you find anything interesting or disturbing.... please quote and comment

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Great descriptive story tellers the Hindus are, I really enjoy them but I don't believe them at all, same as any religion speaking of Hell...just stories to scare people into being good.
I don't need to be scared into being a decent fella, It comes naturally to me and for most folk.
The people who worry me are the people who only do good because they are scared of Hell, those are the ones to look out for.

I did giggle at the boiling oil bath for those who eat meat...thats gonna hurt.

Have you read the story of Hanuman the Hindu monkey god OP?
Great tales.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 21-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Am not afraid...but surprised lol..... did not really know Hinduism had such a deep version of hell or heaven..though am glad unlike the Abrahamic religions its only a temporary pit stop

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

yeah would make for a great hollywood flick if they ever made Ramayana or Mahabharata into one .....

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I have always wondered If I went to India and dyed myself blue, If I would be well received. I visited India many years ago and spent some time with a couple of Hindu Monks, great guys very wise and extremely funny.
I told them of this idea and they loved it but I chickened out lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

It should be allright .....its not something which has been done so am not sure how people will react....but i don't think you will face too many problems...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It all seems rather more reasoned and fair than the Abraham religions; Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.

It's all transitive and cyclical. You go one way and you pay the price, or reap the rewards, and you do so for only so long, then you either move up or down in your cycle, rinse and repeat.

It's a lot more fun and imaginative mythology than the more popular beliefs birthed from filthy desert nomads.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
As ever, Hell finds its support in pious fiction. These stories cannot be proven, supported, or verified, and that is why people of faith have so much trouble getting free of such control mechanisms. At least Hinduism provides a glimmer of hope, with none of that "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." Is it really a glimmer? You get punished horribly for a long time, and then get reborn to do it all over again...thanks, but no thanks. I'll take "It is appointed to man to die once, and then the resurrection." God is Love: Heaven, yes. Hell, no!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Yeah... none of those places really exist. The only real "hell" is the one that is on Earth. When you worship false gods (almost every religion except for maybe Buddhism) and do not love your neighbors, you end up in a place like this where war is the norm, pollution is rampant, and no one respects one another.

If you don't want to end up in a place like this, love each other as yourself. Unfortunately, those who did/do were either killed and their words twisted, or they showed up to the "party" too late and everything was already in place.
edit on 21-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Yeah... none of those places really exist. The only real "hell" is the one that is on Earth. When you worship false gods (almost every religion except for maybe Buddhism) and do not love your neighbors, you end up in a place like this where war is the norm, pollution is rampant, and no one respects one another.

If you don't want to end up in a place like this, love each other as yourself. Unfortunately, those who did/do were either killed and their words twisted, or they showed up to the "party" too late and everything was already in place.
edit on 21-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

It is not that bad. They can be a true Christian even if some who follow the "book" are not but only wearing a garment of faith. People do find their way "home" from all religions/views (even atheists) and not all will know "to much" before they die.

But I do long sometimes to be where the light comes from. Shining to the max without keeping it in like we have to on earth. Giving back some of the love I feel from the other side. The sleeping ones have no clue what they are missing out on. I did not know anything myself and I do not have any special ability to see the light that i feel.

The problem is the duality that comes from the group who "do know" vs the group who do not know but believes they know. You can explain it with words but they will not truelly understand the feeling.

They will get it sooner or later. Time evolves all in the end. The question is only how long they will take.

No soul lost, no soul discarded. The light shines on all in the end when the flower is ready to bloom.

Nobody who feel the love of the divine can hate the divine after a while, since you are cradled like a child, comforted and caressed and your body starts to sing like an instrument. To much bliss to be angry at the source
edit on 21-7-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Chances are those are added much later by people, it never existed in original, heck, Hinduism was not even a religion.

As time gos by people add their own version, just like how Christianity is modified to make people into pets.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
"Hell" is a subjective state of spirit.

It is my belief that if you have lived and died an angry, fearful, miserable, jealous scumbag, you will created a subjective reality in which these emotions roam (after death), and there you will stay until you realize that you had the power all along to be where ever you wanted to be, if you just change your vibrational/emotional state.

Drug induced altered states are good examples of this.
Are you miserable and unstable? Then prepare for a miserable and unstable trip (hell).
Are you happy and calm? Then prepare for a happy and calm trip (heaven/bliss).
EOS

This is why religion sucks. One man's subjective thoughts and visions (trip) worshipped by millions.
The choice is yours, and someday you will have to choose whether you like it or not. So why not just be happy?
edit on 22-7-2013 by LastDog because: (no reason given)

join