It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploring other dimensions, awesome ted vid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Cool new video that might help you imagine the other dimensions that may or may not exist depending on the validity of string theroy.

Older vid some might remember.

Pretty cool explanations that might just help you imagine some difficult concepts, highly recommend viewing.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Im reading Brian Greene's "Hidden Reality" he talks about this in his book. We as humans might not ever be able to perceive other dimensions but hopefully our technology and machines can.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by joeym1991
Im reading Brian Greene's "Hidden Reality" he talks about this in his book. We as humans might not ever be able to perceive other dimensions but hopefully our technology and machines can.

Well there is also a complete shamanic history that should also be explored, you would be surprised how many of the descriptions of dimensions fit into many shamanic traditions in general...

But to say more would violate tos.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I like these videos. If for nothing else than relaying the complexity of it to people in a way that hopefully they can realise.

I imagine the entirety of all reality as part of all dimensions and that our limited perception of reality is a mere slither of it all. Like a room full of dust particles and the sun shining in through a crack in the curtain, it illuminates only a small part of it. As fleeting as you see one dust particle, it's gone, but the illusion of a coherent form is made by the constant illumination of many particles.

Almost as if there is an invisible force surrounding everything, and gravity, light, the perception of time, all things we find we have problems unifying, are merely how our reality illuminates this force.

And when I start to think about the higgs field, and how different particles gain mass moving through it, I stop thinking and start drooling... The invisible field that holds all form in place.

Even if we had the machines to detect, see and work with such things, our brains would still not be able to process it. Not fully, perhaps abstractly. And then, we're still no better off, and have to rely on faith...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

In certain states, I believe, it is the only way we can comprehend certain things.

Into madness goes creation...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Cool new video that might help you imagine the other dimensions that may or may not exist depending on the validity of string theroy.

Pretty cool explanations that might just help you imagine some difficult concepts, highly recommend viewing.

I'm having difficulty with the description the narrator gives concerning how you depict each succeeding dimension. He says that you add a perpendicular (90% right angle) extension to all dimensional vectors (width to length and height to width and length), and then he offers a hypercube as an example of a 4D shape, yet the hypercube doesn't feature a perpendicular extension to all dimensional vectors of a 3D cube.

Then he suggests that a 2D shape (were it to be aware and cognizant) would "see" the 3D sphere passing perpendicularly through its world as a growing and shrinking line. It doesn't make sense to me that a 2D shape would ever be capable of perceiving anything breaking the 2D plane at all, since if it did, the 2D shape would be perceiving in 3D, and not in 2D.

That whole TEDtalk video segment was fatally flawed, and I'd just like to know why TED doesn't' understand how conceptually crippled it is. I thought TED was supposed to be a global brain trust of some kind.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Huge fan of TED! Lots of great insights.

Watched the video and it was pretty neat. It does make it easier to imagine the existence of a 4th or 5th dimension.

There was a book I read way back, the title escapes me, that explains it thus:

Man walks up to the pond in front of his house and begins to observe the Carp swimming in his pond. In the pond there are several. There is a doctor carp, a teacher carp, a chef carp, a scientist carp, etc, etc. It is common knowledge that life does exist within their universe and of course it is impossible to exist outside of this universe.

The man decides to pluck one out of the pond, which happens to be the scientist fish and takes places him in a smaller pool. All the while the other fish a frantically searching for their friend the scientist in the typical locations, i.e. floating at the bottom or floating at the top. To their amazement he just simply vanished.

Moments later the man places the fish back into the pond. The scientist fish is swimming frantically screaming, "Oh my God, Oh my God". The other fish ask where he was hiding and he proceeds to explain how their is a world outside of theirs. A 3 dimensional world, he proclaims! Of course the other fish couldn't imagine such a story and shrug it off as a fanciful tale by an eccentric scientist.

Everything in the world is relative and our universe is but a pond in someones backyard.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Then he suggests that a 2D shape (were it to be aware and cognizant) would "see" the 3D sphere passing perpendicularly through its world as a growing and shrinking line. It doesn't make sense to me that a 2D shape would ever be capable of perceiving anything breaking the 2D plane at all, since if it did, the 2D shape would be perceiving in 3D, and not in 2D.

That whole TEDtalk video segment was fatally flawed, and I'd just like to know why TED doesn't' understand how conceptually crippled it is. I thought TED was supposed to be a global brain trust of some kind.

I am sure you understood the premise? So a sphere is wider at its center then at its top or bottom. So to the observer in a 2D world it would appear:

_
____
________

Remember it just said it was passing "through". So it is perceiving a 3D object in 2D feature vectors (if I am using that term correctly). Granted some level of imagination is needed.

Another way to put it: if a 4D (physical) object entered our 3D world wouldn't we only be able to perceive it as a 3D object. The other dimension would be lost on us. However, if that 4D object came to my house, picked me up and took me outside of "my" universe then I should be able to finally see that extra dimension.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

Or would I need 4D eyeballs? hmmm.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The six higher dimensions of 10-d space-time predicted by superstring theory were anticipated about 76 years before string theorists began to study various models of such compactified space, e.g., Calabi-Yau spaces. The basic constituents of nuclear matter are currently thought to be quarks. Two well-known Theosophists used between 1895 and 1932 a form of remote-viewing of microscopic objects called "anima" in yoga to describe what they thought were atoms. They described the basic constituents of atoms as spinning bundles of 10 closed curves, each a helix with 1680 turns. Each circular turn wound seven times another smaller circle. They noticed that six progressively smaller circles existed. A theoretical physicist has explained their observations in terms of the E8xE8 heterotic superstring theory, proving conclusively in three books that these string-like objects are constituents of quarks and that the 6- d compactified space indicated by their investigations is the 6-d torus - one of the very toy models of this space studied by string theorists - a remarkable confirmation! Each circle is a "curled-up", 1-dimensional space, whose sizes decrease from one dimension to the next.

For details, see here. The physicist's website is here. In order to understand this work, you will need to read the introductory material leading up to page 11.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
IMO, the human mind is far better equipped than any technology for traveling to other dimensions. If nothing else in a sort of...observer position. I believe that astral projection is in a sense, traveling to other dimensions.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thank you for the awesome vids! I loved Flatland in high school. Ive never seen anyone go up to 10-D before tho. Good stuff!

top topics

join