It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9M quake off New Zealand coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

There has been a 6.9 magnitude earthquake off the Pacific coast of New Zealand. The epicenter was located about 53 kilometers south-south-west of Brooklyn, a suburb town of the capital Wellington, the US Geological Survey reported. The quake struck at a depth of approximately 30 kilometers. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has cautioned that quakes of this magnitude in the area may trigger destructive tsunamis along coasts located within a hundred of kilometers of the epicenter. DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Here we go again, lets hope there isn't another Tsunami. Mother nature sure is a tough mistress.

EQ MAP

RT

edit on 21-7-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It appears to be downgraded to a 6.5
tvnz.co.nz...

link   
Double post
edit on 21-7-2013 by sylent6 because: Double post

link   
I wonder how long its going to be before we see a big one someplace around the globe. It seems like things have been heating up the last few years. Maybe its just some cyclical event that im unaware of. No tsunami warnings have been issued. Just some broken glass and power outages.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Im in Blenheim just about 30kms from the epicentre. It was violent. Trust me i know. We lived in Christchurch during the series of quakes back in 2010 and 2011. We moved here for my kids to get awy from them back in mid 2012. Maybe a silly move to move to the alpine fault. One thing is for sure NZ cant afford another series of earhquakes.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I was thinking the same thing while looking at the EQ map. Most likely if anything big happens in the near future it would happen near or in the pacific ocean. The pacific would be the place to be looking because of the convergent fault lines.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hmmmm sounds like a radiated tsunami is headed our way. Maybe the world(especially our oceans) is tired of consuming all of out # and plastic.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My hopes and prayers out to New Zealand. Talk about one of the most inoffensive and decent places in the world, from my perspective. Nature sure has a warped sense of who has one of these coming and who doesn't, as one way to try and give order to chaos.

I just wonder...when is it our turn? I've nervously watched the 6's and 7's work around the Pacific Rim from New Z to Kamchatka and back around the other side. There seems to be just one BIG section that is lacking any major quakes of note. Almost as if by design. Odd...about that?

I hope that doesn't mean nature saves the "best" for last, so to speak.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

"Nature" doesn't "choose" were earthquakes happen based on the morality of the humans living at the epicenter.

What complete rubbish.

Earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics, which in turn is widely shown to be driven by mantle convection. The heat to drive that convection is from radioactive decay of elements in the earth's interior and residual heat from the earth's formation escaping its interior.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Oh lighten up Mr Wizard.

I'm quite aware of geologic process and the friggin tectonic plate system of this planet. That's pretty far out of line and I was making a general observation as someone who HAS been closely watching quake activity (with a 40+ page area of one of my own sites dedicated to it on live data feeds, among other things) for a good long time now. People ask what has changed at ATS...and I'll cite this, right here, as a prime example.

Every statement, in every forum on every topic better fact check, make sense, or be SO clearly secondary, sarcastic or satirical as so no one can possibly mistake it ...or woe be the person who dared bother post anything at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

It's Mrs. Wizard, if you please.

Cite away!

So how should I have interpreted your commentary: secondary, sarcastic or satirical?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I'd ask why you felt the need to interpret and respond at all, to be quite blunt and honest about it.

The fact the United States and Canadian West Coastal regions seem to be almost alone in being quiet for High 6 - 7+ quakes ...while virtually the entire "Ring of Fire" has been noticeably active for over 20 months now is something hard to miss as time goes on. As more 6-7+ quakes keep rolling, that absence of activity becomes more noticeable still.

Now having lived the first half of my life in Earthquake Central (L.A. Area) I'm just a tiny weeny bit familiar with quake physics and tectonics. It's almost impossible to live there for nearly 20 years and NOT be. Osmosis if nothing else...but I digress.

In that, admittedly lay understanding of the science of geology for this, it's been my understanding that one of two things is happening along plate boundaries when a good % of it is in motion ....except one area. Either, it's releasing it's own tension in the other movement ...or it's back building pressure by not having had the same releases of energy on the same commensurate levels at the other quakes along the plate boundary.

While there have been some quakes along the Pacific/North American plate boundary, they haven't matched frequency, strength or nature of the ones running down the Central/South American coastal region, the Southern Ocean area of the extreme boundary in that direction or what has been seen running back up the Oceania and Asian Eastern coastal regions during the same time period. Even Alaska, across the Aleutians, have released in some notably large ones. Not the American West Coast though.

So..in what I really HAD preferred just be a casual comment and not an elaborate and time consuming, science heavy statement of inquiry, THAT is what had drawn my attention, interest and comment.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd ask why you felt the need to interpret and respond at all, to be quite blunt and honest about it.

If your reply had simply stated that the lack of significant earthquakes between the Pacific and North American plates was concerning to you, I would not have replied.

But that isn't what you said. You couched your concern for North America in these comments:

Nature sure has a warped sense of who has one of these coming and who doesn't, as one way to try and give order to chaos.

Almost as if by design. Odd...about that?

I understood your comments to suggest that "nature" or some "designer" was manipulating the where, when, and how big of earthquake occurrance, which is simply word vomit that I will call out every time.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I see. As I noted, it's getting to the point now where everyone has some agenda and they'll fight for it, on any thread and in any forum..across ANY topic matter, regardless of context. Now I see where this started and it's that I suggested intelligent influence? Hell.. that was 100% inadvertent but I'm damn near speechless at the reaction such a trivial passing interpretation generated. That whole other topic is so far out of hand at this site, it's almost beyond recovery sometimes.

Just the same, I did ask and rather pointedly by the last one. Thanks for the response and helping to clarify where it was for the issue. Definitely understood now. Have a good day.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Primitive Territorial Stupid Earthling: "OMG RUN! The world is cracking. The world is growing and cracking up all over. RUN? Run where? Oh, nowhere to run from the world cracking up."
Oh just a second an alien is sending me a message for y'all: Attention humans of the Earth. You little earthling thingys need to stop wasting money on wars and work together to expand out to the Moons and Planets of your solar system. Don't be so stupid and ignore history where species after species who stayed on the planet like retarded cattle went extinct. Many from natural disasters you cannot even comprehend. Drop the fists and get out there you fools!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine

It's Mrs. Wizard, if you please.

Cite away!

So how should I have interpreted your commentary: secondary, sarcastic or satirical?

Go on...admit it, you were being sarcastic then weren't you.

Wonder if the quake had anything to do with the enormous dark area on Sol yesterday?

(I wasn't being sarcastic there)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine

"Nature" doesn't "choose" were earthquakes happen based on the morality of the humans living at the epicenter.

What complete rubbish.

Earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics, which in turn is widely shown to be driven by mantle convection. The heat to drive that convection is from radioactive decay of elements in the earth's interior and residual heat from the earth's formation escaping its interior.

You don't actually think they meant that literally, do you? To me Wrabbit was 'waxing philosophical' in a poignant description of the divide between NZ's good qualities and subsequent bad luck just now. No rubbish there. But thanks for the science lesson.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Star of David Planetary Alignment & The Royal Birth - Coincidence?

This is a follow up to the following two posts about the Star of David planetary alignment in a now-closed, related thread (on the recent New Zealand earthquake):

ka0s69's post

sylent6's post
There is a video explanation to this chart at:

The 13th Star of David alignment starts on July 22, 2013. The British royal birth occurred on the 23rd. The aforementioned chart speaks of a possible "countdown to a birthing; perhaps to the Rapture, the New World Order, the rise of the AntiChrist, World War 3 or a combination of all the above & more" or may be "signaling a 'birth' to occur of something as prophetic as the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ."

Coincidence in the date proximity? Or deliberate natal engineering? Is this birth a sign of good or of evil? (One can't help but remember the Omen-esque suicide of that royal nurse during the pregnancy.)

Discuss.

(By the way, the ominous music in the youtube video from the first post above is worth listening to. Its most recent comments are a hoot as well.)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
LMFAO
I was wondering when the whole Royal Baby is the Anti-Christ thing was gonna turn up but i am quite surprised it is in this thread of all places.

top topics

join