It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag off you Star head

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
So i have been thinking about what constitutes peoples reasons for giving stars and flags out.
I wonder how many people see the flag count and go in reading the thread with premeditated ideas of it being a "good or bad" thread.
What does a flag actually mean for all the different individuals? Stars... What is a star? Is there a point where something is "better" than a star so it gets a flag? Would people give stars and flags as a combo then star every reply between each other?

I know i am over thinking the whole situation but then it got me thinking about trends and "followers" and influence, all sorts of things that can be found down the "rabbit hole".
And now i present a short film by Dr Sheldon Cooper...Fun with Flags.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I will award one flag to any thread that includes Dr.Cooper as a reference

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I just posted a short story and the title is a clear ploy to make people click it and flag it. It's in my signature.

I think you might have ruined it by posting your thread, because now it looks ridiculous having two threads in a row posted with the word Flag in it...

In general, I think there are three categories of high flagged threads. One is the flat out great, intelligent, well researched, well presented monster. Two is the controversial topic written by someone with a nearly infuriating bias. Three is the OP that expresses personal soul searching.

Oh yeah, and breaking news of a tragedy, of course. So 4.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I flag if I think a thread should be seen by as many as possible.

I star if I strongly agree with a poster or they made me laugh.

Its a shame we haven't got a - Pile of Poop - button.

edit on 20-7-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
I just posted a short story and the title is a clear ploy to make people click it and flag it. It's in my signature.

I think you might have ruined it by posting your thread, because now it looks ridiculous having two threads in a row posted with the word Flag in it...

In general, I think there are three categories of high flagged threads. One is the flat out great, intelligent, well researched, well presented monster. Two is the controversial topic written by someone with a nearly infuriating bias. Three is the OP that expresses personal soul searching.

Oh yeah, and breaking news of a tragedy, of course. So 4.

I apologize for possibly ruining your thread. I am just having fun with flags

It could also be a sign...i am awarding you a star

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150

I will award one star to anyone who flags a thread that references Dr. Cooper....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
S&F Because I love Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Line 2 just for you

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I flag if I think a thread should be seen by as many as possible.

I star if I strongly agree with a poster or they made me laugh.

Its a shame we haven't got a - Pile of Poop - button.

edit on 20-7-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

Yeah but a pile of poop button would just be another label to identify with.
People might not actually read threads with this new label attached....but they will surly go for the high flag count thread would they not? I am basing this viewpoint of a small personal statistical analysis so it is highly uneducated nor qualified.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheomExperience

What does a flag actually mean for all the different individuals? Stars... What is a star? Is there a point where something is "better" than a star so it gets a flag?

A "flag" is to alert others that you thought the content or discourse in a thread was worth a look. The more flags, the more people feel that way. The more flags a thread receives the higher it goes on the home page, new topics or top topics. Thats what is meant by "user driven".

Stars is how much you liked a particular comment in any given thread. That could be the OP or any comment. When you scan a page you suddenly come across a post that has a string of stars...

theres your sign...

Anyway thats a definition or two.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Lol. Saw that and thought 'wonder if its the same person...?'. Haha!
Your short story was awesome and this thread has a load of info I love to read! Thanks guys!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

A "flag" is to alert others that you thought the content or discourse in a thread was worth a look. The more flags, the more people feel that way. The more flags a thread receives the higher it goes on the home page, new topics or top topics. Thats what is meant by "user driven".

If someone takes the time to reply to a thread and invest their attention, then is that not saying it is worth a look at least for the individual. But then if that individual who replied does not appreciate the thread and does not "flag it", it seems like saying it was worth a look for the individual but not anyone else in terms of this philosophy.
It is "user driver" but what if the users are being....driven lol

Stars is how much you liked a particular comment in any given thread. That could be the OP or any comment. When you scan a page you suddenly come across a post that has a string of stars...

theres your sign...

Anyway thats a definition or two.

I just love stars. I am awarding you a "rock star" for your contribution.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

They are being "driven". That's the beauty and bummer of it. Everybody has an agenda, everybody has an internet personality that is deceptive to some extent.

Some times I think I said something that should be carved in stone and nobody cares. Other times I jot a nothing and it "rings". I stopped trying to figure that out a long time ago.

Bottom line I try to be consistent and true to what I know to be true, all else is show.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

They are being "driven". That's the beauty and bummer of it. Everybody has an agenda, everybody has an internet personality that is deceptive to some extent.

Some times I think I said something that should be carved in stone and nobody cares. Other times I jot a nothing and it "rings". I stopped trying to figure that out a long time ago.

Bottom line I try to be consistent and true to what I know to be true, all else is show.

My intention is to get 100...no wait 1000 flags. I will have to entertain people for these flags but this is the truth. I have a simple agenda. To have fun with flags...and stars.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I will have to entertain people for these flags but this is the truth.

Entertaining posts garner Stars...

Informative and creative Threads should be Flagged...

But, feel free to d!ck with the system...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by madmac5150

I will award one star to anyone who flags a thread that references Dr. Cooper....

And I return your star! Live long and prosper!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

It is a big system and requires a "big d!ck".
For your entertainment i present to you a riddle to try earn your flag.
What gets wetter and wetter the more it drys?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheomExperience

Originally posted by facelift

It is a big system and requires a "big d!ck".
For your entertainment i present to you a riddle to try earn your flag.
What gets wetter and wetter the more it drys?

Sham-wow !!??

Maybe Depend ...

edit on 21-7-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
To 1 op its a combination of how much data is shared if its new to 1 how much compassion went into a thread as well as encouragement depending on a Star or Flag or both shared.

Outta box what if there are ATS
interfacers w/o flag and star capability but can write threads somehow.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I will flag a thread if I feel the topic is interesting and it's worth reading about.

I will give a star if the post is well written and presented.

Some threads get flags and stars merely because of the member who created them. They could post any old rubbish and it could (and sometimes does) get numerous flags and stars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join