It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Big Brother getting nervous? Looks like this town doesnt have people asleep at the wheel

WASHINGTON (AP) — People who fire guns at drones are endangering the public and property and could be prosecuted or fined, the Federal Aviation Administration warned Friday.
The FAA released a statement in response to questions about an ordinance under consideration in the tiny farming community of Deer Trail, Colo., that would encourage hunters to shoot down drones.
The administration reminded the public that it regulates the nation's airspace, including the airspace over cities and towns.

A drone "hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air," the statement said. "Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result in criminal or civil liability, just as would firing at a manned airplane."
Under the proposed ordinance, Deer Trail would grant hunting permits to shoot drones.
The permits would cost $25 each.

The town would also encourage drone hunting by awarding $100 to anyone who presents a valid hunting license and identifiable pieces of a drone that has been shot down.

Story
edit on 7/20/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

nice, never thought Drone Season would ever start up

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Now,
That's a big ole slice of small town politics.
I love it.
Unmanned vehicles represent a threat to everyone because THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS RUNNING MILITARY SURVEILLANCE ON AMERICAN CITIZENS!

Uh, sorry.
Got a little excited.
I think there's a drone flying over.
I'll get my rifle.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can actually understand this.

Regardless if you agree with drones or not, trying to shoot them out of the sky is frankly stupid.

Say you actually hit the drone and cause it to crash, next thing you know your going to be standing up in court trying to defend yourself for the murder of the 10 orphans who died with the drone you shot down crashed into the orphanage and burnt it to the ground.

So of course the FAA is going to advise against it!

Its a matter of public safety
edit on 20-7-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

But what if it lands on Cheney's house?
edit on 20-7-2013 by th3onetruth because: (no reason given)

I think it is safer for the public to shoot them damned things down.
edit on 20-7-2013 by th3onetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
A perfect application for the 50 cal..

with exploding tips to ensure a take down

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

But what if it lands on Cheney's house?

the shoot down the next one that comes just to make sure...

I think it is safer for the public to shoot them damned things down.

its really not....

once the public start shooting at them the drones are either going to start falling on top of schools, hospitals and peoples homes and then they are going to start arming the drones and then the drones will start shooting back.

probably causing massive "collateral damage" in the process.

shooting at the drones is just pointless.
edit on 20-7-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Imagine the poor Ultralight pilot getting lost or hung out toward the end of the day in poor lighting....

Idiot 1: Hey Bubba! I hear me a drone a comin'! Hear dat lawnmower engene theys got?

Idiot 2: Heck ya! It be a comin' right over dem trees! Let 'er rip when you see it and don't hesertate!

Next thing ya know the pilot thinks he's in a time warp back to WW-II Germany or something, taking AA fire.

How many ways can we say bad idea?

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

DRONE DYNASTY

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Instead of the government telling people that they shouldn't shoot at drones, why isn't the government getting the message that they shouldn't FLY DRONES???

We really are in a battle against the government.

edit on 7/20/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

DRONE DYNASTY

That's great. You could make a little airfield and set out drone decoys.
Maybe dress up some mannequins in white robes and burkas and have a wedding decoy.
They can't resist those.

Wait, drone emoticon -(-+ :::::::::

edit on 20-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hmm....this could cost good money

buy a remote control aircraft frame from a hobby shop for lets say a hundred bucks and just shoot it into a pile of bits and hand them into the town hall...one part at a time collecting the cash and given one plane could probably go into 10 or more pieces this could netting 875-900 bucks per plane pure profit

Hope the mayors got deep pockets

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

LOL
can you say "attempt at intimidation"?
the FAA

... regulates the nation's airspace, including the airspace over cities and towns.

REGULATES
it does not LEGISLATE

it is the ignorance of the difference between Law and Regulation that allows these agencies to get away with murder

to those SCAREMONGERING along with FAA:

ZOMG!!! think of the children!!!

how about not escalating things,
BY NOT FLYING DRONES OVER AREAS WHERE THE COMMUNITY HAS DECLARED THEM PESTS
AND HAVE LEGISLATED APPROVAL FOR PEST-CONTROL?
[shooting them down]

their view of people who uphold and exercise their right to bear arms is quite interesting
especially considering that armed drones would be SOP against any taking up arms against the emperor and his various tzars and satraps.

however skeet shooting while providing it's own pleasures, I would personally prefer, and enjoy much more, taking down GOV drones with my own, liberating said drones, and making them part of my collection

diydrones.com...

This is the home for everything about amateur Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs). Use the tabs and drop-down menus above to navigate the site. (About us/Site rules)

This community created the Arduino-based ArduPilot, the world's first universal autopilot (planes, multicopters of all sorts and ground rovers). The APM 2.6 autopilot hardware runs a variety of powerful free UAV software systems, including:

ArduPlane, a pro-level UAV system for planes of all types
ArduCopter, a fully-autonomous multicopter and heli UAV system
ArduRover, a fully-autonomous ground-based vehicle system

I'm new to all this--where do I start? Are amateur UAVs legal? (yes)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
But its my god given right to shoot at private property and destroy other people stuff.

What next, they'll tell us that shooting ambulances and police cars is not on.

Damned police state I tell you.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The damn things shouldn't be in the air in the first place.

The FAA have no idea. If the drones being shot down poses a threat to other aircraft, then wouldn't their very presence in the air pose a threat as well?

Open season i say, bring down those wascally wabbits!
edit on 20-7-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: couldn't find wascally in the dictionary

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
so what if they feel no save with armed drone flying and shot them? maybe the drone get to low and hit tree..

dont mess with the farm guy..they are trained everyday shooting mouse or rabit that damage the crop..

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Drone strikes were halted in November 2011 after NATO forces killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in the Salala incident

wikipedia / salala incident

If they are not safe enough for Pakistan,
they are definitely not safe enough for US airspace.

To hell with drones.

As to the specious reasoning that shooting one down constitutes a threat to civilian facilities...
The day that drone surveillance feeds are the property of the civilians and WE get to
use them to spy on Corporations and Government is the day I will give a care.

Till then,
they should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

By jamming,
flying kites,
or sling shots,
anything.

It is reprehensible all the surveillance in this country,
and NONE of it is used to help the citizens.
The chit is always classified, or need-to-know, so it's a tool of interests, and powerful interests only.

Well I have a powerful interest.

All unmanned cameras should be destroyed.
Weather they are at a traffic intersection,
or flying over my back yard.

Death to the Drones!

Mike

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Y U no Like drones?

Least we get to see what our money buys, and hell one gets shot down they will just raise our taxes to replace them.

Of course actually shooting one down would be a felony then the DHS in mraps, and SWat bust down your front door and 'arrests' you and takes all your guns and ammo.

I warn against shooting drones too.
edit on 20-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Just use a little discretion is all I'd ask. I honestly looked at basing a small business around drones a couple years ago, when I got off the truck. Nothing nefarious. Just aerial photography ranging from real estate to accident re-creation material.

The thing is, the quad copter rigs best suited for commercial aerial photography look a whole lot like what police and some military units use too.

They're very nice, capable of 1km and further, out of direct Line of Sight, (video screen remote maintains perspective for control) and quite expensive. I'd probably be in a mood to do a tad more than have harsh words with the Bubba that blew one of mine out of the sky because he couldn't comprehend a nearby house was for sale and contracting the photos or business needed surveyed.

Just a note to remember is all. Not ALL drones are Gov't or up to no good. There is an exciting and booming business for low altitude, short range urban drone use for very logical and legitimate purposes.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Just use a little discretion is all I'd ask. I honestly looked at basing a small business around drones a couple years ago, when I got off the truck. Nothing nefarious. Just aerial photography ranging from real estate to accident re-creation material.

Oh, hell no! Bubba always shoots first and asks questions later!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join