It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Marine Corps jets jettison Bombs off the coast of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I find the time of day and the odd way this was reported, like all the answers and "T's" and "I's" crossed and dotted.
I got the this story from my FB feed from NBC News.
10 pm on a Friday, when no one would really see it.
Any way my point is something seems odd with this.
I mean why are the two AV-8B Harriers conducting a training missions with live " Bombs"? it's training "live" just don't seem right. when we all know that is why you train, so not to F- up the mission when real.
No I don't wear Tin foil. Just thought was Odd. and what could the US be hiding that either happened or what they are really doing to the reef.
this is the link to story : nbcnews.to...

ATS : please fix what you see wrong with my post, I don't post much as a OP, so bare with me here a little.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by matted

They always train with live bombs. If you don't train with live weapons, you don't instinctively react to things the way you should. There's nothing odd about this, it has happened before, and it will happen in the future. You don't land with live bombs, because you can set them off when the wheels hit the ground (or deck). They had to get rid of them somehow, and since the range wasn't available, the ocean was the safest place to drop them.

They weren't dropped on the reef, they were dropped into a 60 foot deep channel near the reef, and will probably be recovered fairly quickly.
edit on 7/20/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
They were hunting great white sharks what else.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Recover? Right... Maybe, or maybe not since US bombs were made out of depleted uranuim during the Iraq War. Why do you think US bombs got bigger? They went nuclear.
edit on 7-4-2014 by makemap because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2014 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I dont know thats quite odd but i know only a little about all this!
but why do we need all these US marines in Australia? I saw the other week they are putting even more up in Darwin.. There will be 2500 in Darwin by 2017 This link mentions that and also about their training etc.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by makemap

Wow well i hope not that reef is struggling enough. They should wreck their own country for a change instead of everyone else's.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by makemap

Very few bombs are made of DU. They use canon shells like in the A-10.

What are you talking about with nuclear weapons? Don't tell me you bought the propaganda about them being used in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
There are many proof on the internet that US uses Depleted Uranium.

I bet the the soldiers don't even know what the bomb is made out of unlike the gunpowder age where soldiers make their own weapons. The weapons have been corporatized and massed produced without the soldiers knowledge.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by makemap

I never said they didn't. I said they don't use it in many bombs.

So it's listed on Wiki but the soldiers are too stupid to know or figure it out?
edit on 4/8/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Well not like they make the bomb anyways now a days. It could secretly be nuclear/uranium rich(until dropped).
www.cbc.ca...

You have to look at the explosion effects to tell if it is Uranium.

Here is a WW2 bomb effect.
www.youtube.com...

Here is the Uranium bomb proof(the usual mushroom cloud)
www.youtube.com...

Even a comments says it is Mark82 bomb. I searched that on google and someone says it uses depleted uranium.

Remember mushroom clouds are dangerous.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by makemap

Wow, talk about reviving a year old thread.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

makemap

Just where did you get that rubbish from?
A mushroom cloud does not mean a nuclear explosion.
en.wikipedia.org...

A mushroom cloud is a distinctive pyrocumulus mushroom-shaped cloud of condensed water vapor or debris resulting from a very large explosion. They are most commonly associated with nuclear explosions, but any sufficiently large blast will produce the same sort of effect. They can be caused by powerful conventional weapons, like vacuum bombs, including the ATBIP and GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb. Volcanic eruptions and impact events can produce natural mushroom clouds.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
So is it the two bombs did not explode if they are 'live'? live means the ground safeties are taken out, then when the bomb is released from the aircraft, small propeller at the rear end starts to spin with air flowing over it while the bomb drops, the spinning propeller draws out the last safety, and then the bomb is fully armed.
The Argentinians attacked the British navy in the Falklands war, the argie pilots were too low for the bombs to arm, which is why the pilots aim was good, but not many strikes. (Although, sadly, HMS Sheffield burnt out when a bomb squad tried to defuse a bomb stuck amidships) It later sank when being towed back to Blighty.........

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by matted

Sounds like a $nake behavior. They cant have their way so they will fukit up
for the rest. Little lizard children are entertaining.
edit on 9-4-2014 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

makemap

Well not like they make the bomb anyways now a days. It could secretly be nuclear/uranium rich(until dropped).
www.cbc.ca...

You have to look at the explosion effects to tell if it is Uranium.

Here is a WW2 bomb effect.
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Even a comments says it is Mark82 bomb. I searched that on google and someone says it uses depleted uranium.

Uh...any large explosion produces a "mushroom" effect. It involves the rise of and expanding area of heat.

Mushroom clouds are formed by many sorts of large explosions under earth's gravity, though they are best known for their appearance after nuclear detonations

A mushroom cloud is a distinctive pyrocumulus mushroom-shaped cloud of condensed water vapor or debris resulting from a very large explosion. They are most commonly associated with nuclear explosions, but any sufficiently large blast will produce the same sort of effect. They can be caused by powerful conventional weapons, like vacuum bombs, including the ATBIP and GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb. Volcanic eruptions and impact events can produce natural mushroom clouds.

Mushroom clouds form as a result of the sudden formation of a large mass of hot, low-density gases near the ground creating a Rayleigh–Taylor instability. The mass of gas rises rapidly, resulting in turbulent vortices curling downward around its edges, forming a vortex ring and drawing up a column of additional smoke and debris in the center to form the "mushroom stem".

Certainly those who do not understand physics or ordinance think that all such clouds are "nuclear," but they are not limited to nuclear bombs.

Conventional explosives, especially fuel/air bombs we have today, create the conditions to have a mushroom cloud.

DU is not "explosive". It does not make explosions larger. It does not create a nuclear reaction. The reason why DU is used in ordinance is because it's density and strength make it in a ballistic sense a good medium for armor penetrating ordinance.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

pikestaff
So is it the two bombs did not explode if they are 'live'? live means the ground safeties are taken out, then when the bomb is released from the aircraft, small propeller at the rear end starts to spin with air flowing over it while the bomb drops, the spinning propeller draws out the last safety, and then the bomb is fully armed.
The Argentinians attacked the British navy in the Falklands war, the argie pilots were too low for the bombs to arm, which is why the pilots aim was good, but not many strikes. (Although, sadly, HMS Sheffield burnt out when a bomb squad tried to defuse a bomb stuck amidships) It later sank when being towed back to Blighty.........

Modern bombs are electronically armed from the cockpit before final release. If not armed, the internal safeties will keep them from exploding. The spinning propeller thing is very much an outdated mode of arming.

The reason why they had to jettison the bombs before returning to the ship is more about the extra weight causing a structural failure on the aircraft during landing than the bombs exploding. For the same reason you often have to jettison excess fuel if you have to make an emergent landing right after takeoff--to reduce weight.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Shana91aus
I dont know thats quite odd but i know only a little about all this!
but why do we need all these US marines in Australia? I saw the other week they are putting even more up in Darwin.. There will be 2500 in Darwin by 2017 This link mentions that and also about their training etc.

We frequently train with our allies. You'd be surprised just how many German troops are stationed in the US for example.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

f0xbat
reply to post by makemap

Wow, talk about reviving a year old thread.

Im so blonde didn't even notice it said 2013! Lol.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

At least you use the search feature

I would give you an applause for a) using the search feature and b) using the search feature...

LOL

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by makemap

Research is your friend. Instead of looking up "uranium" you should have looked up "depleted uranium".

Depleted uranium (DU; also referred to in the past as Q-metal, depletalloy or D-38) is uranium with a lower content of the fissile isotope U-235 than natural uranium.[2] (Natural uranium is about 99.27% U-238, 0.72% U-235—the fissile isotope, and 0.0055% U-234). Uses of DU take advantage of its very high density of 19.1 g/cm3 (68.4% denser than lead). Civilian uses include counterweights in aircraft, radiation shielding in medical radiation therapy and industrial radiography equipment and containers used to transport radioactive materials. Military uses include defensive armor plating and armor-piercing projectiles.

Most depleted uranium arises as a byproduct of the production of enriched uranium for use in nuclear reactors and in the manufacture of nuclear weapons. Enrichment processes generate uranium with a higher-than-natural concentration of lower-mass uranium isotopes (in particular U-235, which is the uranium isotope supporting the fission chain reaction) with the bulk of the feed ending up as depleted uranium, in some cases with mass fractions of U-235 and U-234 less than a third of those in natural uranium. U-238 has a much longer halflife than the lighter isotopes, and DU therefore emits less alpha radiation than the same mass of natural uranium: the US Defense Department states DU used in US munitions has 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

The Mark 82 is an unguided bomb, with a weight of 500 pounds. None of the Mark 82s currently in service use depleted uranium in them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join