It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memories may be stored outside the brain

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Oh I see. I think that answers my question. thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by QuantriQueptidez
Yea, because amnesia after organic brain damage is part of your soul taking a vacation, and alzheimers is the devil... ooookay.

Actually, the brain accesses contextually attributed residual fact sets that (as a result of the specific attributing system itself) reside in what amounts to a "memory cloud" (sort of like the data cloud concept within company intranets). If the brain is damaged in the region where specific access circuits are located, then those "memories" will never be accessible, and there you have amnesia or dementia-related memory loss.

Migratory animals share a "memory cloud" that helps them survive as a species, with some sets contextually associated with the migration process, and the brains evolutionarily developed to "reach" for those instructions when environmental factors hit a predefined "tipping point", which is why all such group-think occurs per locality, as opposed to species-wide.

Human beings do not share a memory cloud. Most predators don't as well, with lions and wolves being a prime example of apex predators that do share one, but on an as-needed basis.

When the human brain dies, the contextual specifics become meaningless, and the data itself is effectively "released" as simple Residual information - no different than any other fact set collective, as far as the rest of the environment is concerned. It wasn't created by the human brain. It emerged as an environmental default response to the specific information that the brain itself created. Once the brain has died, it's no longer unique or necessary for anything other than the Identity definition of the Contextual Environment as a whole, as is the case with all residual fact sets.

Fascinating, but my brain doesn't understand a single thing you are trying to communicate ... lol. Could you please drop the jargon?

contextually attributed residual fact sets

he's saying that some animals can access a sort of group consciousness which defines their behavioural patterns and assists in forming the choices they make as observed in migratory patterns. but humans are not one in that group who accesses this type of data.

humans can access this consciousness in the source consciousness field. i do it regularly as i pull information from the ether to improve my understanding of scientific concepts. one thing i learn of tells me 3 more. this is what mysticism is about. accessing and interacting with quantum consciousness intentionally and via a system. u just have to pass a few exams before u are given access to work the system.

it is a combination of both communication and the instinctive programming coded into our genetic structure which allows for organisms to appear to be making certain instinctive decisions and learn from others in their species. but what must be remembered is that it is the consciousness which is created which does the design and ensures that the architecture is followed as designed providing all the necessary building blocks are available to its immediate environment.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
When you remember something, what remembers? How does it know that it has remembered the right thing?

Simply reducing a memory to a collection of brain cells or a segment of a neural network is like reducing a machine to a pile of parts. Even an "automatic" machine requires "outside" input at some point. There are no examples of machines that function without "outside" input.

Even if one is totally materialistic about the body and regards it as a machine in every respect, one is forced to say that it is the only known machine that operates without "outside" input. Given all the other examples of machines, is that likely?

Science, for the most part refuses to acknowledge the "outsider" inside. This "outsider" is acknowledged by spiritual traditions, however. The knowledge of how this "outsider" works, even in spiritual traditions familiar with it, is almost zero. It is not known what it is composed of. Some things about it are known. Some people speculate that it must have the capacity to carry all our memories and to match them with the hard wired storage capacities of the brain in order to function through the body.

For the most part, science has not pursued the possibility that an adequate explanation of brain functions requires recourse to the inclusion of this "outsider". They continue to try to come up with essentially a hardwired schematic for the brain machine that will account for all of its operations. In essence science is trying to, not reinvent the brain wheel, but to invent it for the first time, because no other machine in history has ever functioned without the input of an "outsider".
edit on 21-7-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Yea, because amnesia after organic brain damage is part of your soul taking a vacation, and alzheimers is the devil... ooookay.

Just to keep with the theme of the topic, one could look at these problems like a computer.

Snip the cable even a fraction and the computer cant communicate with its "out of body memory source" ie hard drive
Maybe in human terms our transmit/receive antenna gets either damage or just degrades over time in some
edit on 21-7-2013 by Trigger82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by soulwaxer

Matter doesn't create consciousness. If anything, consciousness creates matter.

yes

How?

I don't know how, just like I don't know how gravity is created. But matter could be nothing more than a concentrated form of consciousness.

How would matter create consciousness, if it did? Science assumes that the brain creates consciousness, but this is also only an assumption. There is no proof whatsoever, on the contrary.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trigger82

Just to keep with the theme of the topic, one could look at these problems like a computer.

Snip the cable even a fraction and the computer cant communicate with its "out of body memory source" ie hard drive
Maybe in human terms our transmit/receive antenna gets either damage or just degrades over time in some

Does not compute.

Let me give you a further example. A man gets blasted in the head, and never is the same. His wife reports his personality has changed, and that's not the man she married.

Now, using your reasoning, how does this make sense? It doesn't. It would mean that our sense of self is stored INSIDE of us.

That the mechanisms to fully explain the rise in consciousness, or the oobe, has not yet been scientifically validated, in no way means we're free to jump off the deep end when basic reasoning destroys these notions.

Nearly all experiences involving OOBE's can be explained if you stop to consider what we already do know about the brain and consciousness. The few freak things that we can't understand are bound to occur by mere chance alone. Yet you have people who are so scared that there's nothing to their tiny sliver of an existence on this pebble, that they feel a strong desire to blast these bizarre, freak occurrences and amplify the experience so that it's known globally. Meanwhile, 99.99999% of oobe's are rather dull, and can be explained by reasonable individuals if they suspend the need to find a fantastical explanation, and simply keep to their good sense.

edit on 22-7-2013 by QuantriQueptidez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trigger82

edit on 21-7-2013 by Trigger82 because: (no reason given)

allow me to help u with that.

a full computer system with hard drive, arithmetic/logic unit, graphics processor and webcam. now we store some stuff on the hard drive, we sometimes use the webcam to communicate with other 'webcammers'. but consciousness is actually sitting at the desk typing on the keyboard. duhhh.. the pc isnt conscious.

sure u can fill in all the other blanks from this template.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

This went beyond genetic memory. The neurosurgeon claimed that while in an induced state of no measurable brain activity, a patient was able to form new memories and it was his assertion that every cell of the human body acts, in emergency, as brain cells and formed those memories.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSpeech

Did they cut off the heads of all of them at the same time? If not, perhaps it is possible that they communicate with each other and were able to convey what was learned? This could apply to the bird tearing off the tops of the milk jugs as well. Just because we don't understand how things communicate doesn't mean that they do not communicate.

Unfortunately it looks like you need to be a member to view the full study at Journal of Experimental Biology. If it contains details like this I am not able to view them.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centhwevir1979

This went beyond genetic memory. The neurosurgeon claimed that while in an induced state of no measurable brain activity, a patient was able to form new memories and it was his assertion that every cell of the human body acts, in emergency, as brain cells and formed those memories.

but what instructs it that it should reform those memories? instinct? nature?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantriQueptidez

Or amnesia is just your physical brain being unable to communicate effectively with your soul due to damage.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
So a few ideas have been put forth to explain how these worms could have regrown their brains with a trained memory intact. In an attempt to refocus the discussion I wish to list a few. Please forgive me if I leave some out and feel free to add your own.

In no particular order:

1. Genetic memory. A structure of the memory was kept somewhere in their DNA which allowed for the cellular reproduction of the memory.

2. Individual soul or consciousness. A non-physical image of the worm's being directed the regrowth of the brain. Alternatively, the brain is just a transmitter for the worm's soul/consciousness which, once regrown, allows access to the memory.

3. God. No explanation needed. God is all powerful and can direct anything to do anything.

4. Shared consciousness. Some form of shared or global consciousness is transmitted through their brain. Again, once their heads are regrown they are reconnected to a shared pool of knowledge(if we can say worms have knowledge).

5. Distributed nervous system. As one post noted, this species of worm actually has no real brain. Instead they have nerve bunches throughout their bodies, with the "brain" being only a particularly dense bundle. The entire nervous system actually learned the skill. They never really lost the information as it's distributed through all bundles.

Did I miss one?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by supergravity
This would explain many of the cases where people wake up one day speaking russian but never went there and never learned russian. It also has happened with other languages.

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Aren't you skeptical of those stories? Have you got an example of that which you think is credible and can be proven?

Maybe a slight deviation from the thread, but since it was brought up, here's a timely article about this very thing. Can't vouch for the credibility or whether this proves the phenomenon.

A Florida Man Woke Up In A Motel Room Speaking Only Swedish. Could It Happen To You?

Michael Boatwright, a Florida man found unconscious in a California Motel 6 months ago, woke up in a Palm Springs hospital in February speaking exclusively Swedish. News of Boatwright's strange memory loss has been making headlines in the past few days, garnering attention across the U.S. and in the U.K. and Sweden. The 61-year-old Navy veteran doesn't recognize himself in ID photos, has no memory of who he is, and calls himself Johan Elk ...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I view the mind as a hologram so this would be no surprise to me at least.

It is as easy as closing your eyes and envisioning a large field.
Your mind sees it just fine, depth and color if you have a good imagination.
And dreams, these are like holographic movies....
They have depth and size and color and emotions....

It is all outside your head. Way to big to fit inside.
But yet you see it...

Well, anyways, that is how I see it, much like seeing a painting before one paints it.
Perhaps the mind is multidimensional as well and is in several diferent levels of reality at once. If it is a hologram of sorts, why would this not be possible?

Universal consciousness, and the flow of the universe on many levels,the mind interacts with it and is effected by it. Synchronicity is the mind being caught in this flow, which I believe is holographic as well...

Just kind of a thought really, but one that makes sense to me personally.

Just my opinion

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

Originally posted by supergravity
This would explain many of the cases where people wake up one day speaking russian but never went there and never learned russian. It also has happened with other languages.

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Aren't you skeptical of those stories? Have you got an example of that which you think is credible and can be proven?

Maybe a slight deviation from the thread, but since it was brought up, here's a timely article about this very thing. Can't vouch for the credibility or whether this proves the phenomenon.

A Florida Man Woke Up In A Motel Room Speaking Only Swedish. Could It Happen To You?

Michael Boatwright, a Florida man found unconscious in a California Motel 6 months ago, woke up in a Palm Springs hospital in February speaking exclusively Swedish. News of Boatwright's strange memory loss has been making headlines in the past few days, garnering attention across the U.S. and in the U.K. and Sweden. The 61-year-old Navy veteran doesn't recognize himself in ID photos, has no memory of who he is, and calls himself Johan Elk ...

I saw this article. The man actually lived in Sweden where he learned Swedish. The interesting thing here is that he forgot how to speak English. Apparently forgetting a language is not common. However, he didn't start speaking a language he never encountered.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by centhwevir1979
I've posted in the past claims from a neurosurgeon about the ability to store memory outside the brain, and was met with many replies of "hogwash." I'm not certain they were qualified to speak on the matter, but this is publicly accessible after all.

I know how you feel....... I've been saying God is real and get looks......but I remember pre-existing prior to being born in a body and remember that we come from an Infinite Source.....that too will be proven one day....

Let em all laugh ....He who laughs last, laughs longest

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

A similar would be "cloud consciousness" pushed for storing memories outside of your hard drive out on the internet.
What would be the situation if two humans a male and female, were kept apart with no mention of the sexual act until puberty, or beyond for the politicaly correct. Then put in a place where they were left alone. Would they discover how to procreate?, Would a failsafe instinct (cell memory) kick in?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
blah blah blah

Then the team showed the worms with the regrown heads where to find food, essentially a refresher course of their light training before decapitation.

How is it a memory from a previous head if they had to show them again? unless it takes multiple times to teach it to find the food and then they cut its head off and only have to show it once and it goes back to its old behavoir of finding quickly?????

edit on 23-7-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by centhwevir1979

You're probably referring to Eban Alexanders "Proof of Heaven"?

Only goes to show how difficult it is to pin down what these experiences are. As you mentioned, the neocortex is the part of the brain incapacitated by e-coli meningitis. So how exactly did he come back from that state of being essentially "offline" - essentially unable to register any information from other parts of the brain - with such a rich tapestry of memories? How could they left such an imprint on him? How could they have been so spiritually meaningful?

These are mysterious questions. At the back of the book he surveys other possible explanations. But all of them skirt the basic issue: how do you reconcile the depth of his experience with the fact that the cortex wasn't available to form these cognitive evaluations? It seems to strain credulity to say that upon coming "back" the trauma of the experience flooded his mind with inauthentic experiences, not only of being present in different environment, but having been aware in this environment, and having come away from this environment with a meaningful message.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Gotta grab me more, fascinating read.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join