It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fifth Estate - Are you ready to get confused?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I've searched around and I'm very surprised that no threads have been started on this subject. I really wished someone else with better writing skills would've started this thread before me. Despite that, I hope you get the point of this thread. The Fifth Estate is a movie that will come out on October 18th. The first trailer started to show up online about 2 days ago. It's about Julian Assange, information leaks, corrupt governments, how the system is bad and needs to change, you get the idea.

The tagline of the movie is: You can't change the world without crashing the system.

This movies is not independent, it comes from a big studio, in other words, the infamous, TPTB. Remember this.

Here's the official summary from the YouTube trailer page:

A dramatic thriller based on real events, THE FIFTH ESTATE reveals the quest to expose the deceptions and corruptions of power that turned an Internet upstart into the 21st century's most fiercely debated organization. Triggering our age of high-stakes secrecy, explosive news leaks and the trafficking of classified information, WikiLeaks forever changed the game. Now, in a dramatic thriller based on real events, THE FIFTH ESTATE reveals the quest to expose the deceptions and corruptions of power that turned an Internet upstart into the 21st century's most fiercely debated organization. The story begins as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (Benedict Cumberbatch) and his colleague Daniel Domscheit-Berg (Daniel Brühl) team up to become underground watchdogs of the privileged and powerful. On a shoestring, they create a platform that allows whistleblowers to anonymously leak covert data, shining a light on the dark recesses of government secrets and corporate crimes. Soon, they are breaking more hard news than the world's most legendary media organizations combined. But when Assange and Berg gain access to the biggest trove of confidential intelligence documents in U.S. history, they battle each other and a defining question of our time: what are the costs of keeping secrets in a free society—and what are the costs of exposing them?"

Now I'd like you to watch the trailer...

Guys. Movie stars are playing Icelandic members of Parliament. Hackerspaces and tech conferences are being depicted as hip and sexy, as opposed to a lame bastion of neckbeard-culture. Hell, Assange is in a Pirate Bay shirt. IN A DREAMWORKS MOVIE (which has been fighting The Pirate Bay in courts for the past few years.

Confused doesn't even begin to cover it.

I think it's a clever way of dealing with a counter-culture movement - the media fixate on certain traits until an accepted 'story' is developed which sums up the entire movement; OWS are all lazy hippies who don't know what they want, internet hackers are all socially retarded henti freaks, Wikileaks are all people who think they're heroes but are actually ruining all the good work done by our wise Overlords...

It's a neat way of explaining motive without having to look into any of the actual arguments.
I wouldn't be shocked if The Pirate Bay, Wikileaks and other freedom related enterprises are highlighted as 'morally virtuous in theory but deadly in practice' and those that support them 'idealistic fools'.

Julian Assange says that this movie is a massive propaganda attack on Wikileaks. I agree with him. Here's a excerpt from this article by The Guardian.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has described a forthcoming Hollywood film about him as a "massive propaganda attack" during a video-linked talk to students at Oxford University. The Fifth Estate Production year: 2013 Directors: Bill Condon Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Bruhl, Laura Linney, Peter Capaldi More on this film Assange said he had seen a copy of the script for The Fifth Estate, which stars Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch and is directed by Dreamgirls' Bill Condon. Addressing the Oxford Union from his refuge at the Ecuadorian embassy in London last night, the activist also described the film as an inflammatory attack on Iran. The first picture of Cumberbatch as Assange was released yesterday, featuring Cumberbatch standing alongside Goodbye, Lenin!'s Daniel Brühl, who is playing the activist's confidant Daniel Domscheit-Berg. The Fifth Estate, which focuses on the early days of WikiLeaks, is based on Domscheit-Berg's book Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website, as well as Guardian writers David Leigh and Luke Harding's WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy. Assange told the Oxford Union that Condon's film began with scenes inside a military complex in Iran, where nuclear symbols could clearly be seen. The suggestion, he said, was that the country was building a nuclear weapon and the film was clearly an attempt to go about "fanning the flames" of war. "How does this have anything to do with us? It is a lie upon lie," he said.

"The movie is a massive propaganda attack on WikiLeaks and the character of my staff."

Now with everything happening in the world right now, I think TPTB are engaging in a unprecedented info war against us. It's also funny how Edward Snowden came out with his leak at THIS very specific time. I think now nobody can deny that there's a war for your mind. My theory is that if the system can create the illusion that somebody is actually fighting them, we won't do a thing "because someone's already taking care of it". It gives us the satisfaction we require. We can go on with our daily lives knowing that someone's fighting the good fight. Smells like cointelpro on a whole new level.

Your thoughts?

edit on 19-7-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't read too much into it. Hollywood has been suffering a string of flops lately and is desperate for something to make a profit worthy of the word. I think the topic is the headlines and no one reacts to headlines like Hollywood does.

I doubt it'll be very good by the look and sound though, but that's my take. I'll wait to read something written by Assange when his story is over and he's stable somewhere, if that ever comes.

Who knows, this might be better than the recent flops though? The headlines have had a lot about that.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Still, it's a big studio showcasing characters and ideas that are completely opposed to what the establishment is pushing, Assange is even depicted with a Pirate Bay shirt? DreamWorks has been throwing millions in legal fees to shutdown that website and now they're giving them promotion? What's going on?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I wonder if they will still call the movie "The Fifth Estate" when it is released in Canada.

There has been an investigative journalism show by the same name on the CBC that has been on the air since 1975. One of its documentaries, "Just Another Missing Kid" actually won the 1982 Oscar for best documentary.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMaybeNot
Confused doesn't even begin to cover it.

Not that confusing.
Daniel Domscheit-Berg and Julian Assange used to work together, but a few years back they had a big falling out and went their separate ways.
They pretty much hate each other.

Now, Hollywood is making a movie, from Domscheit-Berg's point of view.

Of course its not going to look good for either Wikileaks or Assange.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

Just remember "crashing the system" is all what the PTB are about - to issue in a NWO with no currency, no borders, complete enslavement of the peoples - communism - "we'll give you what we think you need".

The whole thing is about getting rid of judeo-christian beliefs.

The Gov't will be your religion - islamic beliefs are going too.

See Albert pike's views on WW3.

I have no doubt assange and snowden are CIA.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

Just remember "crashing the system" is all what the PTB are about - to issue in a NWO with no currency, no borders, complete enslavement of the peoples - communism - "we'll give you what we think you need".

The whole thing is about getting rid of judeo-christian beliefs.

The Gov't will be your religion - islamic beliefs are going too.

See Albert pike's views on WW3.

I have no doubt assange and snowden are CIA.

We're thinking very much alike
And given what's the public reaction to all that is happening, I guess the only thing we can do is wait and experience it. The plan is well oiled, financed on a unprecedented scale and supported by the most powerful countries.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I wouldn't read too much into it. Hollywood has been suffering a string of flops lately and is desperate for something to make a profit worthy of the word. I think the topic is the headlines and no one reacts to headlines like Hollywood does.

I doubt it'll be very good by the look and sound though, but that's my take. I'll wait to read something written by Assange when his story is over and he's stable somewhere, if that ever comes.

Who knows, this might be better than the recent flops though? The headlines have had a lot about that.

Another thing I might add, I'm pretty sure Hollywood is way more interested in selling "values" and "ideas" than making money, Hollywood is after all, nothing more than a propaganda machine.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

With the recent slew of big money flops the Hollywood industry has recently put out - I wonder if they are starting to see that people are waking up - and that the hollywood industry isn't anymore believable than their hollywood president's administration is - and that - because of the democrats in washington - no one can even afford to go see the garbage they put out.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Another thing I might add, I'm pretty sure Hollywood is way more interested in selling "values" and "ideas" than making money, Hollywood is after all, nothing more than a propaganda machine.

Selling "values" and "ideas" doesn't pay for the next Ferrari in the driveway or Bentley with a driver for the mega-stars.

I think it's very naive to think Hollywood puts *ANYTHING* before money, the least of which being values of any kind, whatsoever. The values Hollywood has are what come from focus groups that tell them what values they're supposed to have. Their true loyalty? The Almighty Dollar...and in THAT, they trust everything.

This movie is little more than a continuation along the lines of "The Pirates of Silicone Valley" or the more recent one about Zuckerberg and Facebook. It's just another movie cashing in on the headlines of the day, IMO. Certainly nothing to get excited about.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Interesting opening to a movie about wikileaks. I suppose one of the conclusions of the film will attempt to show that, because of sites like wikileaks, the united states is unable to do its "job" properly, and so the film will end with some dramatic scene showing that because of the "hinderance" caused by wikileaks, the Iranians could get a nuke... All because of wikileaks.

I've always thought that certain movies are designed to make you believe that, since lots of people saw this movie, then surely something is being done about whatever problem is the focus of the film. Leading you to do nothing yourself. Movies do spark some action sometimes... But its just a lurking feeling I've had with a lot of Hollywood films that were seemingly made to bring attention to some issue, that a lot of people assume that, because a movie was made about it, surely something is being done about it.

Maybe the movies aren't designed that way though. It could just be an issue with human psychology that causes us to believe we don't need to do anything.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Just want to give some kudos for your somewhat 'agnostic' take on Hollywood - I'm in a strange place regarding film production companies at the moment. I think they would love to pile on the tacky materialist BS, but they realise they must provide a pretence at intellectually addressing certain hot topics of our day and age.

Some companies; some sections within companies - must actually give a crap & thus seek to use the subliminality of it all to advantage (rather than screw over) the masses.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

This movie seems to be aimed at the people who don't really know what's going on. It's kinda like the movie they made about Facebook. Take some truth, mix in some Hollywood, dilute the investigations of others. Wonder how many users have actually heard of project Facebook?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I always think:

Hollywood will make a film about something then it doesn't seem so bad

so to stop the masses talking about it, they give the masses some nice film quotes to quote and something to rationalise to it and hey presto the real problem now all seems like a fantasy

a sort of creating a fantasy from reality

anyone else think that some horrific event now made into a film just seems like fiction and loses some reality?

de sensitising the masses is the only reason this will come out, until the next... ooh shiney object whats that?

edit on 24-7-2013 by Binkus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join