It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews Apologizes to Black Co Workers on Behalf of ALL White People

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
Oh what a horrible, horrible thing he said. How dare he feel bad. How dare he have an emotional response to what two fellow human beings have gone through. How dare he assume that there aren't any white people who don't give a flying flip about black people and what they have gone through. The nerve.

How does what he said hurt any of you in any way, unless you happen to be a white supremacist? What is so horrible about saying you are sorry for what someone has had to go through? Why do you assume it means you are taking the blame for it? I can guarantee you that Chris Matthews has never had a prejudice bone in his body, nor has he ever committed an offense towards a black person solely because of their skin color. He's not admitting any blame for what happened, he's just saying he's sorry. Kind of like how you tell someone you are sorry their mother died. You aren't saying you are responsible for it, you are sorry for their loss. This is a non-issue - why are you making it one?

"False Choice" fallacy. For instance, you can disagree without being a White Supremacist. Disagreeing with Matthew's statement does not mean you "...don't give a flying flip" about black people. In addition, how can you guarantee anything about Matthews?

The only issue is your discomfort with anyone who doesn't think as you do.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Lets see:

Chris Matthews is annoying to listen to. At one point, he may have been crafty and clever, must have been before my time, because whenever I watched him, he is simply a loudmouth opinionated guy who gaffes at a 50/50 ratio of his normal speaking. Maybe its age, I don't know.
I know the guy is actually a nice guy. He believes in the agenda he pushes with his heart...but I don't understand how he is still on the air.
Support quietly or financially...your voice is turning people away.

-I am a liberal in case you were unaware-

Now
About this topic in general...
Who cares...how is this even interesting? I personally do feel bad that black people in general still get it rough in areas (high ratio of morons). I also do see there is a serious issue with the black "culture" (gangster culture). They need to stop listening to Snoop and start listening to Cosby...that's just my opinion.
Young white kids also have issues, but due to being less destitute, they more often than not pull themselves up out of the muck and grime of dumb culture. This is a financial and educational difference between the two sects.

But anyhow, I personally don't have personal guilt. I have respect for any individual, suspicion for any young ignorant group (any color), and will treat anyone as my equal until they prove otherwise. I have nothing to be sorry for.
Chris, stick to script or just retire.

Still better than the drivel Faux puts out on a hourly basis.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
Last time I checked...Chris Matthews wasn't a 'White-Hispanic'.
edit on 20-7-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

And that is relevant..how?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
He does not speak for me. I will apologize for no one, not even myself, considering I have done nothing wrong. I am not sure what he is even apologizing for. What did black people go through that was so bad that it affects people today? Slavery?

No, not slavery. Perhaps you should go check the article for context.
He apologized to someone whom was a victim of racial discrimination and basically a rough life.
Example of this context:
You: "My father got shot last night and died"
Me: "Oh man, that's rough. Sorry you had to go through that, its hard. my family and I are sorry for your loss".

In this context, I didn't feel it necessary to go ask my family before saying that, as that is the non-scumbag thing to say.
This is of similar context when a guy is discussing how cops always draw on black people (the one in the interview in specific).

I have found that, as far as average citizens who do not belong to any racial movement, black people are more racist than white people.

Programming. Culture, and just poor, ignorant idiots.
Go to a white trash part of town and you will see plenty of racist whites.
Go behind the doors of white people and listen to them talk, plenty of racism there.
Don't compare youtube videos for your worldview.

White people generally do not care one way or the other, otherwise they would not stand for organizations like the NAACP.

If you think about it, THAT organization is racist to the highest degree. If white people wanted to form a society for the advancement of white people,

the NAACP started to advance black people in society
why?
Because up until a few decades ago, they were second class citizens whom couldn't do many things whites could.
Not now, but entire familys don't change overnight. read some history and look at some statistics of poverty to get a clear picture.
If we freed cows tomorrow, would you expect them to be living in suburbs by the weekend?

And the idea of slave reparations was widely accepted by many black people, who would quickly have taken any monies awarded them. Yet where is the fairness to the rest of society?

So, if I enslave you, murder your family, take you away from your home, put you to forced labor 14 hours a day, whip you, rape you, and whatever else
then let you go one day...alls good?
You get tons of money if mcdonalds accidently spills coffee on you...but murder, abduction, etc is nothing to you?

Whats your issue with reparations again?

therefore why should any white person NEED to apologize?

In the context of the article, its called manners.
I think better words could have been used, the sentence itself is screwy, but the overall empathetic moment is perfectly reasonable when hearing the story that was being relayed.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Nope... He has just jumped on this white privilege bandwagon.
The notion that all us white folks should feel guilty about being white.
No thanks, I feel no guilt about my race or heritage.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willtell
The man is expressing a sincere (I hope) feeling of shame for the treatment of black people by his race.

If it is from his heart, though it is somewhat awkward, it is nonetheless IMO noble.

Um excuse me? NOBLE! Sorry this idiot doesn't speak for me. WTH do I have to be sorry about, not a damn thing. I don't care what white people did previously, it had nothing to do with me or my beliefs.

Why should anyone apologize for something they had nothing to do with!?

This guy is an idiot and needs to shut his pie hole like most o the idiots on tv lately over this ridiculously drawn out situation.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Logical fallacy 101 guilt by association.
The guy is a dumb apologist.
Limbo
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
-I am a liberal in case you were unaware-

I think the entire board is aware that you are a liberal.

About this topic in general...Who cares...how is this even interesting?

If you don't find it interesting .. then move along. There are THOUSANDS of threads for you
to go and find something that YOU find interesting to discuss.

Still better than the drivel Faux puts out on a hourly basis.

Oh please. It doesn't get any worse than MSNBC. It's the absolute bottom of what is on TV.
All so-called news channels have issues. None more than MSNBC.
edit on 7/21/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

The only ones spinning are the OP and the others supporting it.

Um ... no.
It's very clear. Matthews claimed the authority to speak for ALL white people.
That's HIS words. Not mine. HIS. He's a far left loon who buys and sells so-called white guilt.
He works at that gawd-awful network .... MSNBC .... which spoon feeds extreme far left looney
bunk into the minds of those unfortunate enough to be watching. Sadly .. some actually buy into it.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky
Your opening post is negative because you are helping to fuel this black vs white race war crap.

:shk: So people are supposed to ignore stupidity when they see it?
No. Matthews is the one feeding the race war crap. He's race obsessed.

Then you're pissed off cause Matthews apologized for racism

He claimed to speak for ALL white people and he is feeding the mythological collective white guilt bunk. Oh .. and I"m not 'pissed off'. I'm having a discussion. If I were 'pissed off' .. you and the entire board would know it.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
If what he said on a known liberal network bothered you so much, why not just change the channel? Or just Deal with it?

1 - This is a discussion board, so we are discussing what he said.
2 - Discussion IS dealing with it.
3 - Again ... if it bothers you so much that people are discussing this far left wing whackadoo ... go elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

How does what he said hurt any of you in any way, unless you happen to be a white supremacist?

:shk:

What is so horrible about saying you are sorry for what someone has had to go through? Why do you assume it means you are taking the blame for it?

What is so horrible is that he had the audacity to claim to speak for ALL white people.
He spews far left rhetoric and embraces imaginary white guilt and then claims to speak
for ALL white people. If you can't see how that is wrong, and you think that all people
who disagree with what Matthews did are 'white supremacist' .. then there just isn't any
talking to you.

Folks on this issue talk often about upbringing being the key factor with those holding bad ideas.

But just look at the bigotry whole generations of blacks have been fed about whites. That's its hard to understand, if not understanding is really the problem, why many whites would be offended by Matthews is part of the passed down sort of reversed racism, reinforced by white liberals and other sorts of guilt ridden, also the victims of brainwashing, white apologists.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by IAMTAT
Last time I checked...Chris Matthews wasn't a 'White-Hispanic'.
edit on 20-7-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

And that is relevant..how?

You have to ask?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

All the righteous indignation and mixed rhetoric doesn't have the weight it once did. Nor does the weight of its moral authority carry much power when we see the double talkers using both sides of the mouth.

A society that tolerates so much murder among themselves cant preach to loudly about its love for civil rights nor expect to stand so high on the "guilt" of another race.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Not directed at me, but, I really want to chime in on this one...

If I were 'pissed off' .. you and the entire board would know it.

Oh you are pissed off, and you have shown it in this thread, so the entire board does know about it.

Now, back to the post directed at me.

1 - This is a discussion board, so we are discussing what he said.

Ok, so discussion for you is fake rage at a commentator's comments? I simply don't understand the rage here.

2 - Discussion IS dealing with it.

It's not being done very well, instead what this is, is more race bating.

3 - Again ... if it bothers you so much that people are discussing this far left wing whackadoo ... go elsewhere.

Why? Why should I be excluded from your "discussion"? If I feel that your "discussion" is just more right wing fake rage and victimization, shouldn't I be allowed to make that point known?

For quite a while now, people in the center, and the left have stood by while people on the right politically have went completely ape [snip] over the smallest of slights. Even going so far as to force people to resign over false claims and heavily edited videos.

But I have to go away when I point out this fake rage for what it is?

Where's the "personal responsibility"? Where's the "self reliance"?

If you don't like what Matthews said, might I suggest you look at the 1st Amendment of the United States Constitution? (for the gun nuts in the crowd, that's the Amendment that exists before the 2nd Amendment, and yes there is an amendment that exists prior to the 2nd Amendment)

No one said you had to take his words as gospel.

OR

If you are really really REALLY upset about what he said, you could go to the Apollo theatre, or go on BET or some other venue and state publicly that you do not accept Matthews' apology as your own.

Cause in a sense you are right, maybe you don't have anything to apologize to the black community about. I doubt you have ever owned a slave, probably haven't forced a black person to sit at the back of the bus. More than likely you haven't turned a fire hose on a group of black protesters. Haven't forced black people to drink from a different water fountain from yourself. Probably haven't forced black children to attend different schools from your own. And maybe, you have never uttered the N-Word in anger against a black person.

So, your right, you don't have anything to apologize to the black community for.

But this rage? Over something that a commentator on a known liberal network said? Just a tad bit over the top and more than likely has contributed to more race bating than anything that Matthews said.

You are perfectly within your rights as an American to not agree with something someone else says. When that disagreement becomes stupidity is when you get outraged about it.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
At this point, we are all being useful idiots. Mission accomplished for mathews, whoever that is. Do you not see his agenda? To make the white people who already feel guilty, feel guiltier, and to piss off the white people that know in their hearts they have never wronged a person for something as petty as their race. Like I said, mission accomplished, at least here at ATS.

Is he gonna apologize to all my kind next? Total joke, and we are constantly playing right into their hands.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky
I'm sick of all these topics about race popping up on Ats lately. Now here's another one. I'm going to just sit back and continue to read more negative comments about black people. Thanks a lot op. White people are soooo nice.

NO, no no no no. I am tired of everyone pussy footing around the issues.

There are issues in the black community, issues that no one wants to address because it gets labeled as ITS RACIST. I have been in this argument on here for the past few days and no one wants to address anything. People just want to say the typical bull# feel good rhetoric - well what does that get us? Nothing....same # happens again and again.....isn't everyone tired of it all?

The black community has issues with family valves and work ethic, the glorification of the gangsta lifestyle. Now before the moral squad goes you can't say that about all black people - I am not saying every single black person is like that. Of course that isn't true, but it is a HUGE issue in their community. Until they address these issues nothing is going to change for the better, except for an escalation of violence across the US.

So hey, go ahead and just generalize everything, have fun in the race wars as they erupt.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Have another drink and then stuff a sock in it Matthews.

I am not apologizing for anything, and you don't speak for anyone but your white guilt ridden, liberal loony self.

I never owned slaves. I'm not some rich white guy. I just go through life, making my way as best I can, like everyone else on this planet.

Life is too short to be bogged down with some imaginary guilt for # that happened to and by people from 200 years ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
Oh you are pissed off, and you have shown it in this thread, so the entire board does know about it.

You are obviously new here. Your statement is beyond silly.
Again .. if I were 'pissed off' the board would know.

so discussion for you is fake rage at a commentator's comments? I simply don't understand the rage here.

'Rage' eh?? I challenge you to go find the 'rage' ... you can't.
My opening post was :shk: ... that's not rage.
You are trying to manufacture 'rage' where there is none.
Much like the left tried to manufacture racism in the Zimmerman case, when there wasn't any.
Deflection attempt on your part .. trying to deflect from Matthews statements ... Epic fail.

It's not being done very well, instead what this is, is more race bating.

Chris Matthews is race baiting. Calling him out on it isn't race baiting. Educate yourself.

For quite a while now, people in the center, and the left have stood by while people on the right politically have went completely ape [snip] over the smallest of slights.

What a comedian you are! Zimmerman calmly uses the word 'black' when asked by the dispatcher to describe a person he's watching, and everyone screams RACIST! And yet Martin gets a free pass for saying 'crazy ass cracker'. You are blinded by partisanship.

If you don't like what Matthews said, might I suggest you look at the 1st Amendment of the United States Constitution?

No one denied him his free speech rights ... but it sure seems like, for some strange partisan reason, you want to deny us our free speech rights at a discussion board.

As for the rest of what you posted .. it was just blah blah blah ....

The far left can't stand when their partisan bs is shown in the light of day for what it is.
edit on 7/21/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Why oh why do media whores think they have an opinion and take it upon themselves to offer apologies for all?
I don't need anyone to apologise for me for the simple reason I haven't done anything wrong to offend black people, or anyone else for that matter.
IF I do something I make up for MY mistakes, and NOT for past events caused by others or ancestors, nor apologise for historic events that I wasn't even around for.
Instead of people apologising for things maybe they should look for the cause of the events, mainly those that seek to profit themselves by stepping on the backs of others?
Slavery was caused by the rich trying to make more money? Maybe people who complain about slavery need to look there instead of painting everyone else with the same brush.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join