It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews Apologizes to Black Co Workers on Behalf of ALL White People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Chris Matthews has the audacity to claim to speak for all white people.

Chris Matthews Apologizes to Black Co Workers on Behalf of All White People

A shocked Matthews ended the segment saying he wanted to apologize. “I’ll just tell you one thing and I’m speaking now for all white people but especially those who have tried to change in the last 50 or 60 years — and a lot of them have really tried to change — I’m sorry for this stuff. That’s all I’m saying.”

Sure, what these people went through was not right. But to claim to speak for all white people and to apologize like that .. assuming across the board whites are all guilty and should all apologize .... ugh. White guilt .. .pffft. :shk: Hey Chris ... you do NOT speak for all white people.

FLAME AWAY

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yep.. fat boy doesn't speak for me either. Just like the one Jew that said he's sorry for killing Jesus didn't speak for all Jews.

How dare he speak for me, I don't agree with half of anything he says. It's a non issue though. Most black people are smart enough to know Cris hasn't been named White Spokesperson of the year.

Will I apologize as an individual for what people did before I was born? HELL NO.

I am Only responsible to myself for my own actions.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
MSNBC owes US an apology for Chris Matthews...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I didn't do anything to these black people he is talking to. I didn't do anything to that boy.

Why is this guy apologizing for me when I had nothing to do with what happened.
I can't see any way my family even benefited from mistreatment of black people. I feel bad for that boy but I am not responsible

Just because I am white doesn't mean I have to feel guilty about another white person killing a black boy. None of my ancestors had slaves either as far back as I have studied, we were always hard workers ourselves. Well, we maybe we all did our share of having a few too many beers some times, we may owe some bartenders some apologies..

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is getting weird.

I'll respond to myself: "what do you mean 'getting'"?

edit on 19-7-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Several of my ancestors were slave traders, which by today's standards is a shocking thing and I have to say, I was somewhat surprised when we discovered this particular skeleton in our family closet. When we first discovered it, I had mixed feelings, but I am not a slave trader, I have never owned a slave and I disagree with slavery as a concept. I am not my ancestors.

When my ancestors were plying their trade, it was an acceptable occupation and not illegal. By today's standards, it is morally and legally bankrupt, but to judge these men, by our standards is not legitimate.

Just because we see ourselves as more enlightened than our ancestors, it does not give us the right to apologise on their behalf, by the standard of their day, they had done nothing wrong and had nothing apologise for.

Regards

The Fifth Cat

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm sick of all these topics about race popping up on Ats lately. Now here's another one. I'm going to just sit back and continue to read more negative comments about black people. Thanks a lot op. White people are soooo nice.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's one thing to be enthusiastic about diversity or being open to including others different from you in your life. We all benefit from understanding and learning about those from different racial/socioeconomic/cultural backgrounds. But jesus christ, Chris Matthews has dived head-first into an uncharted territory of douchebaggery. Apologizing on behalf of an entire group of people is race relations gone bad. "White guilt" is the worst form of racism.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Teeky

I see your frustration, but do you feel this "apology" is somehow beneficial? It's condescending to blacks that one man's apology for someone else should be meaningful. It's arrogant to whites that he feels he can speak for everyone who is white. There is nothing positive in what Chris Matthews has done.
edit on 19-7-2013 by FatherStacks because: clarity

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

Matthews shouldn't speak for the entire white race. However I do appreciate Matthews effort. He's trying to convey that not all white people are racist.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Sorry for what? I'm not carrying someone else's blame. F that.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Nope, he doesnt speak for me either. Im sick of all of these "white guilt apologists" , its really getting out of hand now.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Sharingan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh what a horrible, horrible thing he said. How dare he feel bad. How dare he have an emotional response to what two fellow human beings have gone through. How dare he assume that there aren't any white people who don't give a flying flip about black people and what they have gone through. The nerve.

How does what he said hurt any of you in any way, unless you happen to be a white supremacist? What is so horrible about saying you are sorry for what someone has had to go through? Why do you assume it means you are taking the blame for it? I can guarantee you that Chris Matthews has never had a prejudice bone in his body, nor has he ever committed an offense towards a black person solely because of their skin color. He's not admitting any blame for what happened, he's just saying he's sorry. Kind of like how you tell someone you are sorry their mother died. You aren't saying you are responsible for it, you are sorry for their loss. This is a non-issue - why are you making it one?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky
reply to post by FatherStacks

Matthews shouldn't speak for the entire white race. However I do appreciate Matthews effort. He's trying to convey that not all white people are racist.

I see what your saying, but doesn't his apology imply that all white people are racist? It would be like Al Sharpton coming out and apologizing for gang crimes. Ridiculous right? I like to believe most whites realize not all blacks are in gangs, just as I hope most African-Americans realize not all whites are racist. There are better ways of showing your not racist...like how you act and react to different races (and hopefully that means we all, regardless, use a certain level of basic respect) in your daily life.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The man is expressing a sincere (I hope) feeling of shame for the treatment of black people by his race.

If it is from his heart, though it is somewhat awkward, it is nonetheless IMO noble.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

You make a fair point. If he intended to show empathy for another's pain, I'll stand corrected and retract what I've said. But if he was really "apologizing" then I still feel he is being arrogant and condescending and yes, racist (if he knew it or not). I don't doubt he was acting with good intentions, but I do doubt his execution. Again, you raise a good point and one I didn't consider.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatherStacks

You make a fair point. If he intended to show empathy for another's pain, I'll stand corrected and retract what I've said. But if he was really "apologizing" then I still feel he is being arrogant and condescending and yes, racist (if he knew it or not). I don't doubt he was acting with good intentions, but I do doubt his execution. Again, you raise a good point and one I didn't consider.

If you look at the exact quote, he said "I'm sorry for this stuff". He didn't say "I apologize", which has a different connotation (usually admitting some kind of guilt).

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't get it, everyone knows chocolate is best with a vanilla swirl as vanilla is with a chocolate swirl mmmm mmmm girl.

they're trying so hard to create a situation
edit on 19-7-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by FatherStacks

If you look at the exact quote, he said "I'm sorry for this stuff". He didn't say "I apologize", which has a different connotation (usually admitting some kind of guilt).

Fair enough.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i tell ya chris matthews must have been hit in the head with that hardball he's been playing with.
who does he think he is apologizing for me, i didn't ask him to do that. i have nothing to be sorry for.
edit on 19-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join