It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Trayvon 'could have been me'

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by jheated5

He was a 17 year old black male 35 years ago.
Are you suggesting he was never profiled?
Never met with racism?
Really?
lol

They live in a reality where racism still isn't a problem in this country. And seem to forget that black people only got full rights 50 years ago.

edit on 20-7-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Back to 'false dilemma:'

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, black-and/or-white thinking, the either-or fallacy, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of the false alternative or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option. The opposite of this fallacy is argument to moderation.

en.wikipedia.org...

If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon.
Trayvon could have been me.

They are both examples of false dilemmas,false dichotomy fallacy.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

its sort of funny that this false dilemma is causing such a ...

dilemma...

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's like me saying if I had a son he'd look like Obama, if I were to have a child with a black woman, ya know cause he'd be half white and half black so they'd look alike..... In other words Obama is saying all black people look alike? It's either stupid or racist to make some idiotic blanket statements such as those.....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
black people only got full rights 50 years ago.

50 years ago. Wow, 50 years is most of a persons adult life.
Are they going play the victim for how many centuries?

How are they ever going to be leaders to a better future if they keep
their people thinking they are still victims?

Has it occured to you that they know they are doing this to the people
who look up to them? Has the light come on yet and people realize this
is a way to keep the victims victimized???

Not everyone is blinded by these tired and worn out tactics.
Some of us see right through this.

Not to say that we dont have empathy. Of course we do.
But playing the victim for life is not healthy!

Hey, Obama wanted a conversation about it, well he got it.

edit on 20-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

obama had to step up and say something to try and get some empathy, but it looks like there is not much empathy on this board. some people just want to act like racism does not exist and are unwilling to talk about it. the fact is the george zimmerman verdict has upset a lot of people of all colors. the dialogue has to be spoken and not swept under the rug. all americans need to talk about the issues and realize their own faults and hold their communities accountable for their actions.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

It seems to only being causing a dilemma for the people that took issue with the statement. The rest of us, it's not a big deal that he said it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

He was a 17 year old black male 35 years ago.
Are you suggesting he was never profiled?
Never met with racism?
Really?
lol

He was a 17 year old white male with a black father that was raised by a white family. Did he experience racism? Sure, we all do and we're all profiled according to our appearance every day, but to claim Obama can relate to Martin on any level besides skin color (which he doesn't by the way) is absolutely absurd.

This is irresponsible rhetoric from the most powerful man in the world. A man who was given his power by the people of the United States as a symbol of racial unity. Talk about a slap in the face. I think they should take back his nobel peace prize after this.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Obama didn't have to say anything at all, what makes you think he has to speak up about this issue? Not only speak on it but fan the flames of racism, making the situation worse than it is... I don't pretend racism doesn't exist I also don't pretend it will ever go away... I've said it before and I'll say it again, all colors are racist and there is nothing you or I can do to change that... Sorry I don't live in candyland where everything is peaches and cream, I live in this little place called reality, you should take a visit there some day.....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Oh I also think his peace prize should be revoked, but not because he said something that makes people squirm.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i really wish it would have been obummer 35 years ago, the world would be a better place now, obummer said it ,im just in agreement.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Honestly people. Set aside your politics. Set aside the debate surrounding the verdict. Set aside YOUR race.

Consider his statements as a human reflecting on HIS experience. Consider his statements as a father.

It's so curious that the POTUS is deemed racist for simply detailing his experience as a black man but you all are so seethingly indignant at the simple act of him doing so. Why is that?

You guys don't even recognize the diversionary tactics that you are using to avoid an uncomfortable truth - we have come a long way in the US but we still have a ways to go with regard to equality.

It's not racist to point that out. It's not racist to agree with it. It's not even racist to disagree, but it is ignorant to wholesale discount his experience and perspective because it scares you or because of a political agenda.

Throughout the last one hundred-fifty plus years of American history, at each pivotal point in the struggle for equality, the majority of White Americans did not see a need for change. There was always resistance. There is a sort of fatigue and disgruntlement associated with someone pushing you to be better. And a bitterness if you think the status quo is just fine.

That is what is playing out in this thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Is this big diversion you're talking about have anything to do with Obama trying to play the race card in order for people to look the other way and ignore the 4 or 5 scandals he's got under his belt so far, with the pesky IRS one rearing it's head? Trayvon Martin is nothing but an excuse for him so that the American public can be divided and look the other way while he's doing his dirty work......

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Right, I'm the emotional one.

He didn't say you were emotional. He said your arguments were mostly appeals to emotion.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Come on Neo! Now you're talking out your ass. Besides gun control, Obamacare, Benghazi, immigration reform, gay marriage, or abortion Obama hasn't exploited anyone to further his agenda.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Trayvon 'could have been me'

If only.

We wouldn't be having this discussion.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Kosmicjack, with all due respect, you ask us to set aside our own personal biases in order to accept the president's speech that was filled with HIS own personal biases.

I find something gravely wrong with this.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Regardless of his reflection on the trial, the POTUS should've kept his nose out of the case.

He should know his words and his thoughts could've tainted the case when he spoke up about it last year.

He should've learned his lesson because there was backlash from it.... but he does it again here.

Yea, he's giving his opinion which is fine... But what he's doing is causing more divisions than uniting people. A real leader doesn't do that...
edit on 7/20/2013 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Honestly people. Set aside your politics. Set aside the debate surrounding the verdict. Set aside YOUR race.

Sure thing just as soon as the Potus does.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join