It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric car ‘Silver Streak’ has 400-mile range on a single charge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This might change the car market up for the better. Electric cars have never been ideal because of high costs and low return on charges.

Source

But even cooler is Wayland’s side project, which utilizes the shell of the Honda Insight, America’s first mass market hybrid car. Wayland is using the Insight shell, which even with a drivetrain weighed just 1,800 pounds, as the basis for his EV1 resurrection. Wayland is using the EV1’s transaxle and motor in the Insight, while utilizing more modern lithium-ion batteries from Dow Kokam. The project has been in the works since 2011, and is about 80% complete so far. It is expected to make its road debut in August or September, according to Wayland.

The 71.5 kWh of batteries should be good, according to Wayland’s estimates, of up to 400 miles on a single charge. Wayland says he is “flipping the bird” to GM for how the original EV1 program ended, and his project shows how far along EVs might be had GM not abandoned them so soon. The spirit of the EV1 lives on in this awesome little project.

I know nothing about cars, how they are made etc, so somebody is going to have to enlighten me, but it seems they are screwing around.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth
edit on 7/19/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/19/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think it is just another example of how the vaseline jar is slowly being replaced by the everready. It may well be another decade before we see the issue of energy storage resolved or an industry-wide set of standards so that people can own multiple brand/makes of EVs and still recharge at the same local station... but it is coming.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I also think even big oil is restructuring itself for the change. It will be far longer before we don't need petroleum altogether and they know this. Even with electric cars, the power has to be generated somehow to charge those batteries.

They don't feel threatened yet... which is why the US may be on course for some good degree of potential energy independence by way of those oil fields in the Dakotas and those from Canda. This is their last hoorah.

edit on 19-7-2013 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
"OK we did it! its complete!, a gas free, 100% electric car that runs 400 miles!"

*Arab accent* "Hello, we would like to make a deal"

_________

Im not sure if its possible, but there are cars that run higher kilometers...but you only get to know about them in private events... because they are not sponsored by rich company (aka oil affiliates)... its a big conspiracy with EV1 disappearing.

"Who killed the electric car?"

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hi all.

Are you also harassed by a bizarre pop up window ??? there:

www.rawstory.com...
www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/19/electric-car-silver-streak-has-400-mile-range-on-a-single-charge/

EDIT to add:
tothetenthpower, I forgot to answer you. . .

If this project becomes a company like the Tesla car,
it will be good to have an alternative dealer of 100% electric !

it would be good/better to have MANY alternativeS dealerS !! B-)

Blue skies.
edit on 2013/7/19 by C-JEAN because: To add an answer.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
In the mean time, if the automakers actually stripped the weight out of cars the emissions would be less and the fuel economy would shoot up.

Why do we need to drive around in a heavy weight tank anyway ?

I did read of a university in Canada that had some sort of Suzuki car shipped to them in kit form (unbuilt) and the students rebuilt the car but with carbon chassis.

The result was a conventional car with 70mpg as standard.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This guy is making a big mistake.

Lithium ion batteries are big and heavy compared to better battery technology such as LiFePo 4- Lithium iron Phosphate - which is only made and sold from China.

Here see this, it tells of the differences in these technologies. www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

Anyhow, I think it's good this guy to trying to revamp the EV but unless he can make it cheap enough to be practical to all the masses ( which he can't do) his project will never be main stream.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
400 miles thats all? I have 2 methods for giving these cars near unlimited range,
and you don't have to make dangerous sacrifices to the frame by shedding weight.
But I'll keep them to myself until someone pays me for it, and sadly either of the two
methods could be cobbled together in a weekend for the Tesla and it will always
recharge itself.

The solution to these cars is so mindblowingly simple, I wonder how much longer
these engineers can continue to lie about it.

Use your heads people, just stare at the problem for a bit, it may hit you in the face.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its a shame the power density of super capacitors is low, these would be ideal instead of batteries.

I cant see battery technology moving much quicker in 10 or 20 years but super capacitors are getting better all of the time.

Super capacitors can be charged very quickly (lots of energy required).
Super capacitors and a small stirling engine would be a good combination but not realistic at the moment.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Let's all pray that John Wayland doesn't wake up dead in the near future because of this...

We all know how how Big Oil makes the world go 'round!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have no proof of this statement other than from two former GM employees who worked at the GM Tech Center. They both told me similar stories independently of how GM had back in the late 60's a prototype electric car that had a 300 mile range back then which ended up just getting packed up and shipped out of the Tech Center.

Both of these men are retiree's and I have no reason to believe they are making up pretty much identical stories of this vehicle. They weren't crazy or senile, they way they described it was very matter of fact. GM just didn't see the need for it and scrapped the project.

I don't know if I even believe their story but it struck me as odd how both had pretty much the same story. One was in shipping and one was in design. They didn't know each other. They didn't have details on the car as they weren't part of that design team, they just knew about it.

edit on 19-7-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Big oil has paid big prices to keep efficiency off the roads. And it is only because of
the independent builders not interested in selling out.The tech for efficiency HAS been
around for a hundred years, just kept out of the hands of consumers,. too much money to loose.

edit on 19-7-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
400 miles thats all? I have 2 methods for giving these cars near unlimited range,
and you don't have to make dangerous sacrifices to the frame by shedding weight.
But I'll keep them to myself until someone pays me for it, and sadly either of the two
methods could be cobbled together in a weekend for the Tesla and it will always
recharge itself.

The solution to these cars is so mindblowingly simple, I wonder how much longer
these engineers can continue to lie about it.

Use your heads people, just stare at the problem for a bit, it may hit you in the face.

I'm going to guess your idea is to drive two wheels and put generators on the other two wheels?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Its a very nice looking datsun. Would like one.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
There was a thread a little while back about the Audi A2 prototype electric car in Germany which achieved similar performance/efficiency results (over 500km range at autobahn speeds in actual tests) which sounds really good until you get into the economics & logistics of providing fast recharging facilities to support a realistic number of such vehicles being used. IE you can't fully charge them overnight from a standard household outlet and to do it in under 1 hour would take a grid connected substation of over 1MVA capacity (that's just for 1 vehicle at a time). A comparable solar fast charge facility would cost more than the car.

Most drivers would feel all warm & fuzzy about no pollution coming out of the exhaust pipe (because there isn't one) but the reality is the pollution has simply been relocated to a power station most likely burning coal and spitting out copious amounts of greenhouse gases. Out of sight, out of mind.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Most drivers would feel all warm & fuzzy about no pollution coming out of the exhaust pipe (because there isn't one) but the reality is the pollution has simply been relocated to a power station most likely burning coal and spitting out copious amounts of greenhouse gases. Out of sight, out of mind.

If you have actually done the math, you would see that unless the CO2 intensity is over 1000 g/kwh, electric cars emit less GHG. Most places in the world have a CO2 intensity far less than that (around half) although Australia is at around 900 g/kwh.

to do it in under 1 hour would take a grid connected substation of over 1MVA capacity (that's just for 1 vehicle at a time

P(71.5 kwh in 1 hour) => ((71.5*1000*3600)/3600)/1000 = 71.5 kW...

Also most substations have a power factor greater than 0.07.
edit on 23/7/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Iran is ahead in the game?

Granted, the range isn't much to brag over, and the style/design/structure isn't terribly appealing?

I wonder if it's practical to place a little turbine-in-a-windsock/wind generator above the back window to keep the charge as long as the wind is blowing?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
((71.5*1000*3600)/3600)/1000 = 71.5 kW...

Multiplying 71.5 by 4600 and then diving it by 4600 will equal 71.5, duh.

There is no use arguing over cars when the solution is here

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rev_Godslapper

I was confused as to how Pilgrum thought that a 71.5 kwh battery would need > 1 MVA to charge within one hour. The point was to illustrate the thought process if there was any confusion as to how it can be worked out.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

CAPT PROTON
I have 2 methods for giving these cars near unlimited range,
But I'll keep them to myself until someone pays me for it,

I have access to investors who would be very interested in such technology. Send me a private message with the details of your working prototype and we'll talk.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The whole world is interested in such a technology, including more or less every investor on the planet, and they are all willing to pay for it. If the device were that simple or if it actually existed, then it would have already been implemented or capt proton would have already attracted investors.

The post was likely made for trolling, attention seeking, or egotistical (I know things but I'm not telling you!) reasons. If the post was actually serious then it likely doesn't work and relies on some misunderstanding of physics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join