Panama releases former CIA operative wanted by Italy

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, this defines the word 'awkward', doesn't it? Read a bit and you'll see what I mean. ...err... Yeah... awkward, indeed.

A former CIA operative detained in Panama this week at the request of Italian authorities over his conviction in the 2003 kidnapping of Muslim cleric in Milan was released on Friday morning and was aboard a flight to the United States, U.S. officials said.

Robert Seldon Lady’s release from Panama appeared to avert the possibility that he would be extradited to Italy, where he faces a sentence of up to nine years in prison for his role in the CIA capture of a terrorism suspect who was secretly snatched off a street in Milan and transported to Egypt.

This guy is among the group that kidnapped someone and was convicted of it by Italian law. Italy finally decided things had gone one outrage too far, it appears. Now what makes it more than just a little awkward is the Snowden issue, as the article mentions.

Lady’s release comes at a delicate time for the Obama administration, which has been seeking to block attempts by Edward Snowden, a former U.S. intelligence contractor, to seek asylum in Latin America. Snowden has been charged with stealing and then leaking information about secret U.S. surveillance programs.

Err...Uhh.. Yeah. How do we tell the world we demand they stand by International Law and follow our requests on Snowden for investigation of what he's done, when we blow off an outright CONVICTION in an Italian Court of so many Americans? In this case, actually work hard to obstruct justice to block the attempt to extradite a convicted person back to Italy?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is the usual American practice.

They are hypocrites of the highest order.

I actually read this story this morning and wondered how long it would be before he was on a flight to the U.S.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Talk about exceptionally bad timing to have done it. I think it's the difference between discreetly passing gas while outside and no one is around and just letting rip while getting up to address a room full of people with really good acoustics.

Could our Government work any harder at pretty much slapping traditional allies? It wouldn't seem so here lately. It's almost becoming a sport for which one to threaten, belittle, ridicule or outright ignore next.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Talk about exceptionally bad timing to have done it. I think it's the difference between discreetly passing gas while outside and no one is around and just letting rip while getting up to address a room full of people with really good acoustics.

That's an amusing way of putting it

I don't think the U.S. really has allies...they just have countries they use when it suits them. They won't hesitate to drop them when they no longer serve a purpose.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, this defines the word 'awkward', doesn't it? Read a bit and you'll see what I mean. ...err... Yeah... awkward, indeed.

A former CIA operative detained in Panama this week at the request of Italian authorities over his conviction in the 2003 kidnapping of Muslim cleric in Milan was released on Friday morning and was aboard a flight to the United States, U.S. officials said.

Robert Seldon Lady’s release from Panama appeared to avert the possibility that he would be extradited to Italy, where he faces a sentence of up to nine years in prison for his role in the CIA capture of a terrorism suspect who was secretly snatched off a street in Milan and transported to Egypt.

This guy is among the group that kidnapped someone and was convicted of it by Italian law. Italy finally decided things had gone one outrage too far, it appears. Now what makes it more than just a little awkward is the Snowden issue, as the article mentions.

Lady’s release comes at a delicate time for the Obama administration, which has been seeking to block attempts by Edward Snowden, a former U.S. intelligence contractor, to seek asylum in Latin America. Snowden has been charged with stealing and then leaking information about secret U.S. surveillance programs.

Err...Uhh.. Yeah. How do we tell the world we demand they stand by International Law and follow our requests on Snowden for investigation of what he's done, when we blow off an outright CONVICTION in an Italian Court of so many Americans? In this case, actually work hard to obstruct justice to block the attempt to extradite a convicted person back to Italy?

Is there a source link?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
(horrified look) I didn't...

Uh oh.. I did... I really forgot my source link. Ugh.. Bad Rabbit. Here it is.

Panama releases former CIA operative wanted by Italy

and a couple others for additional context.... since I really made an OP without a source link. It's the least I can do. (feels horrible)

Panama detains ex-CIA operative convicted by Italy of kidnapping

Italy Convicts 23 Americans for C.I.A. Renditions

Italy/US: Italian Court Rebukes CIA Rendition Practice

new topics
top topics

join