It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frankie Boyle in hunger strike to support Shaker Aamer - the last British detainee in Guantánamo Ba

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Yea well... they never stop drinking now do they?

Hunger strikes... cry me a river. Stop drinking and you have my attention. For 3 days at least.

He's teetotal as he's a recovering (recovered?) alcoholic.
Can he have your attention now?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have a lot of respect for Frankie.

I think he has always been political and can hide serious news and theories behind jokes that can offend people, the madeleine mccann joke from his last DVD springs to mind and his old the media being like dangling you're keys in front of a dog.

Those who think Frankie is trying to cash in on a publicity stunt, although he's said he's going to retire a few times but hasn't, here he is explaining he's not really in it for the attention and he'd much rather be a writer than perform on stage:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
People actually think Frankie Boyle is like the character he plays on stage??

As for his career being down, I don't know where people get that idea, would love to be proved wrong.

Also on the idea that he suddenly got in to politics I suggest you go and watch 'Mock of the week' It was pretty political and topical and he was easily the shining star that came out of it, in fact when he left that show lost ratings.

Is his comedy for everyone? Of course not. But it is still an act.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Shaker Aamer = poor wee innocent victim = British (allegedly)
Frankie Boyle = controversial rude bad person = Scottish
Andy Murray = wonderful skillful tennis player = British
Glasgow = heroin capital of Europe = Scottish

I see a pattern #brainwashing

Britain=good & Scotland=bad vote NO lol

Outrageous that this man is still imprisoned. All credit to Boyle for what he's doing.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I never knew who Shaker Aamer was before today....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

That's nonsense and as much a typical blinkered and stereotyping of English people in their attitudes to Scots as some English make of Scots.

I think you'll find that most people who are expressing support of Frankie Boyle in this thread are actually English.

And it's Edinburgh that was once considered the 'heroin capital' of Europe, not Glasgow.

But hey, don't let you're own anti-English bigotry get in the way of honesty and the truth!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Its not stereotyping, it's fact.
Scottish=bad and British=good.
Some think it's a deliberate campaign by the establishment to put down Scottish nationalism, others that it's just lazy journalism from media centric London. Tbh the left wing press is sometimes worse for it than the right.

Anyway that's for another thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Perhaps there is an establishment led conspiracy to demonise Scottish nationalism etc - but that's completely different to what you said and the English people are most definitely NOT anti-Scottish etc.

Maybe you should look closer to home and look at the anti-English bias and bigotry that is present in Scottish Nationalism and many Scottish people.

And judging by the posts in this thread it seems that quite a few English are supportive of Frankie Boyle.

Why you chose to have an anti-English rant in this thread is beyond me - unless you seek to broadcast your own anti-English views at every opportunity regardless of relevance.

I would like it if you did start a thread on this topic so that we could further this discussion there.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I didnt say Scots were anti English. I didnt say English people were anti Scots. I didnt even mention the English at all. You just made all that up. What I am talking about is a noticeable media bias.

I know England is suffering a heatwave, you really need to go cool down.

Yeah I might start a thread about it. And in that thread Stumason will lead & you can follow, I know you English guys just LOVE your traditions after all lol.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

So Scot's don't like traditions then? we all do we are all part of GREAT Britain, I think people forget how great we all are

edit on 20-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah youre so great you cant even spell the name of your own country, tard.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

In before the pedants ... that's you're and can't

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

So sorry I suffer from Dyslexia and I didn't check my post as I normally do.
Thanks for the tard remark...

I suggest you edit the post before you get a warning from the mods...read the T&C.
Why so hostile btw?
edit on 20-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

We are all allowed national pride from time to time, I don't know where you are from.
Oh and in your location you have put...edimbourg, you also have made a mistake it is EDINBURGH.
But I will not stoop so low to call you any names.
Cya then.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

You have just proved that you French are very anti English....jealous?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Frankie states both his modus operandi and raison d'etre in the shows he gives...he merely observes the current zeitgeist and culture of the modern world and remarks upon it. He is in fact responding to current mindsets that can get excited at the most mind-numbingly banal aspects of human expression whilst at the same time remain utterly dead from the neck up regarding the direction the world has been steered in.

I find it highly hypocritical of people to know and be awake to the shafting they receive daily from those holding the reins of power, and not care about it, yet get all riled up at one of his jokes. There is something very sadly and tragically wrong with people having this kind of mindset. Their perspective is askew and warped, or perhaps, what they're really doing is taking their misery out on a comedian on stage just to feel cathartic and moral about themselves.

I'm not suggesting for one second that you should not feel offended at some of Frankie's material, it shows that there is still a spark of human empathy residing inside you, and that a smidgeon of humanity still shines behind a cloud of hypocrisy. The thing is, you can't pick and choose at determining what is offensive and what isn't, and Frankie's material, as offensive as some of it is, cannot in any way match the offensiveness of an uncaring and indifferent people supposedly critical of human rights violations.

Frankie Boyle and comedians like him are easy targets of public opinion. They don't hide behind a false façade of public respectability to screw those that prefer to believe in the façade. Comedians like Frankie Boyle have become the purveyors of reality, and in doing so, have taken the place of the media and the press to get the message across, and they do it in a far more entertaining manner than the media and the press ever did.

If you cannot take a joke, at the absurdity of its narration, yet understand its context, then your spirit of human brotherhood is as dead and as black as the hearts of those running the world. If you think political correctness is an expression of human empathy, you may as well encase yourself in a block of concrete, because the amount of resistance from you would amount to the same.

For instance, if you look at today's news, you will see that a Norwegian woman has been jailed in Dubai, her crime...she was raped, and has thus been jailed for extramarital sex. In other words, she has basically been raped twice, once by her violator, and worse, by the very apparatus that should provide her with justice. Now it's not because she is an attractive white woman I mention this, it could be any woman of any race, creed, or colour. No the context of my point is the absurdity of this woman's (and many others of her gender) circumstance, and the the offensive violation they suffer from the joke of justice practised in Dubai.

Of course, she is in another country, and must abide by their their rules (as absurd as they are), but, she was physically violated against her will, and has ended up in jail for it. I don't care for another country's rules and laws if it violates basic human rights, because as a human being who can find the humour in Frankie's material, even when presented in a seemingly offensive narration, understand the need for action against such a country, even if it is my own country.

Being offended by a joke is merely an expression of your own indifference and insularity, and you can deny it all you want to others and yourself, but such indifference and insularity to the plight of others suffering violations of their human rights, their dignity, and person-hood, will resonate your hypocrisy for all to see.
edit on 20/7/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I think everyone needs to calm down here. As far as I can tell you were implying any good that comes out of Scotland is seen as an achievement for the UK, anything bad that emanates from Scotland is seen as Scottish, its an old joke that's been going on for years.

I don't think you're anti-English that was just the point you were trying to make.

Also, you're language skills are fine, we can all understand you, a lot of us can't say anything as we only speak one language

lets relax and say we support Frankie no-matter his motives, he's doing a good thing.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Rob333 because: Silly typing errors

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I would love to post a few of his jokes for people who do not know him but I don't think any are T&C compliant.
Good on him, hopefully this will kick someone in the foreign office to do something about Shaker.

Frankie says the things that other people just think.

Boymonkey, what the hell is that chimp doing to that cat?

Your avatars never cease to amaze..

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pardon?

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Yea well... they never stop drinking now do they?

Hunger strikes... cry me a river. Stop drinking and you have my attention. For 3 days at least.

He's teetotal as he's a recovering (recovered?) alcoholic.
Can he have your attention now?

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, i dont think he was suggesting Frankie should give up alcohol, i think he was suggesting he give up water, h20. That would make a more challenging hunger strike, although he d be dead after three days.

Can you all stop with the name calling and can i be the first to say this;
"FRANKIE SAYS RELAX"

<< 1    3 >>

join