It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frankie Boyle in hunger strike to support Shaker Aamer - the last British detainee in Guantánamo Ba

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Frankie Boyle in hunger strike to support Shaker Aamer - the last British detainee in Guantánamo Bay

www.independent.co.uk

Controversial comic Frankie Boyle has gone on hunger strike in support of Shaker Aamer - the last British detainee in Guantánamo Bay.

The Scottish funnyman, who in December donated the £50,000 he won in his libel action against the Daily Mirror to Aamer's legal fund, stopped eating on Wednesday in a bid to highlight the plight of the detainee from London, who is one of dozens of inmates refusing food in protest over their treatment.

Mr Boyle, 41, took the baton from human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith of Reprieve, who represents Aamer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well,this is the first I have heard about this.
Frankie Boyle,for those who do not know,is a controversial Scottish comedian who has been lambasted by the press over the years for jokes deemed "poor taste" by the press.
But I never knew he was committed to highlighting the Guantanamo hunger strike-by going on one himself...

Love him or loathe him-the guy has conviction going on hunger strike in this weather(heatwave in UK).
Either conviction-or madness?
What say you ATS friends?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Wow my repect for him has gone up

Good on him

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

One of the few U.K. stand ups who take an interest in politics, not a fan but I respect his viewpoints.

I doubt it will do any good and if he's calling anyone's bluff, then I think he'll crack and eat something before anything changes

edit on 19-7-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I would love to post a few of his jokes for people who do not know him but I don't think any are T&C compliant.
Good on him, hopefully this will kick someone in the foreign office to do something about Shaker.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I admire the fact that he actually does something to support a cause.
I also think a comedian on a hunger strike should be sent a care package of pizza, doughnuts and ice cream.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yea well... they never stop drinking now do they?

Hunger strikes... cry me a river. Stop drinking and you have my attention. For 3 days at least.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I would love to post a few of his jokes for people who do not know him but I don't think any are T&C compliant.
Good on him, hopefully this will kick someone in the foreign office to do something about Shaker.

Haha yeah

Yeah the mods would break the Extreme T&C violation button

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Title should read..

Franky boyle tries to salvage irretrievably damaged career with phony stunt...

I, for one, will be glad when this self-absorbed hack drops off the radar for good.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The guardian article title is a little misleading. The man being supported by Boyle is a Saudi Arabian. Thats not to say he doesn't deserve justice, just that its not the British governments job to get it for him.
edit on 19-7-2013 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Frankie Boyle's humor is way to much for the average American

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

He doesn't ever need to work again, he sold tons of Dvds he can pick and choose what he does now.
I like him he is very intelligent and says what many may think but don't have the balls to say it.

Here he is.

WARNING SWEAR WORDS.

edit on 19-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Title should read..

Franky boyle tries to salvage irretrievably damaged career with phony stunt...

I, for one, will be glad when this self-absorbed hack drops off the radar for good.

Hey Atzil321,If it is a phony stunt,then he does deserve our disrespect.
But apparently his twittter campaign goes back a while,and this is its culmination.
It appears he is sincere in this escapade.

This could actually be the true face of Frankie B-his comic routine may just be a persona...
Thats a stretch isn't it-but hey...Who knows anything is true in the media.I used to work in that area,and all was upside down BS central 24/7.

Who knows?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

less a hunger strike - more of a fast - each " participant "only does it for 7 days

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So, another person is refusing to eat. Big deal.

Hopefully he is sending his food to the starving kids in Ethiopia.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Frankie Boyle is a funny man - and at least he's pushing boundaries - sure sometimes he offends even me, but by doing so he heightens awareness of issues.

I don't always agree with his politics, but he has the strength of his convictions to stand up and publicly state them and actually follow through on them.

I don't know enough about the specific's of this case to really comment but I admire a man in his position who steps up to the plate and actually try's to do something about what he believes in - far too many in his position take the big money, forget their roots and their own personal values and get wrapped up in the celebrity / stardom bollocks.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thats all pretty tame for Frankie Boyle..The Last Days of Sodom was much better : www.putlocker.com...#

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

This is pretty surprising. But, I have to say, is this not at least a little bit because he's been shunned in the UK in recent years for some of his extremely offensive jokes?

It just seems a little strange that he's suddenly discovered he has some morals, now that his career is in the sh*tter.

Good on him if it really is genuine and he really is being selfless and moral, but I am suspicious of the timing. I'm not entirely sure if this is about doing something good or trying to salvage his image and a career on pause.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Frankie Boyle is always exercising his right to free speech, thats why he covers the most controversial subjects with his humour. He is very astute and knows full well what he is doing. I admire Frankie, I admire him a hell of a lot more now for actually doing something for what he believes in. If more people were like him the world might be a better place for all of us.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

This is pretty surprising. But, I have to say, is this not at least a little bit because he's been shunned in the UK in recent years for some of his extremely offensive jokes?

It just seems a little strange that he's suddenly discovered he has some morals, now that his career is in the sh*tter.

Good on him if it really is genuine and he really is being selfless and moral, but I am suspicious of the timing. I'm not entirely sure if this is about doing something good or trying to salvage his image and a career on pause.

He's not been shunned at all, he performed at the last 'Children in Need'. He might have upset a few worthless celebrities but he's more popular now than ever, evidence of this is on his Twitter where he has one and a half million followers. His politics are spot on - which is another reason for his popularity - and this fast or hunger strike whatever people want to label it (really? does it matter?) is testament to his political and moral values.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join