It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra Nipples and Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is a sincere and serious question, so please, follow the T & C, and take the thread seriously. I understand that subject matter such as this is prime territory for jokes, let's just keep it family friendly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question I have is, Are extra nipples found on the human body evidence that humans have evolved from ancestors that may have had more nipples than we generally have today?

I personally know a guy that has six nipples, so I know that it is something that does exist, and is more common than most people realize.

In more ancient times extra nipples were seen in woman as a sign of being extra fertile, or as in medieval times, as the mark of a witch.

en.wikipedia.org...

A supernumerary nipple (also known as a third nipple, triple nipple, accessory nipple,[1] polythelia or the related condition: polymastia) is an additional nipple occurring in mammals, including humans. Often mistaken for moles, supernumerary nipples are diagnosed at a rate of 1 in 18 males and 1 in approximately 50 female humans.[1][2]

The nipples appear along the two vertical "milk lines", which start in the armpit on each side, run down through the typical nipples and end at the groin. They are classified into eight levels of completeness from a simple patch of hair to a milk-bearing breast in miniature

www.nerve.com...

Extra nipples are thought to be an evolutionary throwback. But how far back, exactly? Primates in general have only two nipples. We have to go back several tens of millions of years, to the common ancestors of primates and other mammals, to find species with rows of nipples, as we now see in pigs, cats and dogs. But primates clearly "remember" the milk line. It is evident in embryonic development, and it is also evident in the location of the regular nipples. Whereas humans and most primates have their two nipples near the top end of the milk line, a few primates, like the endangered aye-aye of Madagascar, have them at the bottom end, in the groin. Like cows.

evolutionj11.imascientist.org.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If you look around the animal kingdom, there are actually lots of animals that have several nipples and since we share a common ancestor with them, it makes sense that you'd see this every once in a while in humans. It's usually more prevalent among animals that give birth to litters of babies rather than single babies like humans do.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I have two nipples, and about two inches below each one is the beginnings of another. So I guess you could say I have about two and a half nipples worth of nipple tissue. They literally look like another pair of nipples started to grow, then stopped not long after.

It would be really cool to think those mini-nipples are a sign of evolution. Yay, I'm evolved!!

edit on 19-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

I personally know a guy that has six nipples, so I know that it is something that does exist, and is more common than most people realize.

I've always thought it interesting that men had nipples at all. The answer is that apparently all developing humans start out as "gender-neutral" (so to speak) with nipples forming around 5 weeks. The SRY gene which governs development of male features kicks in a little later. It's a bit more complicated, but that's the gist of it (knew that embryology class would come in handy someday).

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

In more superstitious days people born with a third nipple were thought to be natural born witches, hence their being referred to as a "witch's tit". Maybe there is an evolutionary tie between those born with an extra nipple and those predisposed to what we might consider now as paranormal events. Something to think about!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

All I'm predisposed to is smartassery. It would be quite a talent if the people I hang out with had a sense of humor.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's a shame you don't live close to me AI-
you would fit in with my circle quite well!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I did a little quick research to see if there was a link betweetn extra nipples and paranormal events...I haven't found anything, with the exception of the old tales of witches, devils, and vampires.

...doesn't mean that there isn't though...It's worth continued research.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I think I might be a little much even for such a spunky personality as yours.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Hi, came to this site because I have supernumerary nipples and have just started having paranormal events. I have one under each breast. I use to think they were moles, but my doctor told me otherwise. I have been to two different houses in my area in the past year and have paranormal events happen with choking and feeling that I had to get out of that house NOW and the last time, two weeks ago (same house) I vomited all over the stairs after telling husband we had to leave now! My other friend I was at her home last summer and I was not ill then either, but after sitting in her family room, I had to run to the bathroom and I vomited. I feel pure evil in previous mentioned home and the other home I feel death.
edit on 23-3-2014 by MrsSmith64 because: I mispelled

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsSmith64

Google how much similar genes we share with mice, pigs, etc, and that should shed some light on the subject.
Possibly those genes responsible, just got.. half turned on...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Interesting topic I never thought I'd see on ATS ! lol

I actually have several Uncles who each have a third nipple ! I also have a female friend who has a third nipple under her breast.
It seems a lot more common than I ever would have thought.

Thanks for the information , it was quite useful.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
my friend's first wife had 3 and he made her show me! lol!

it wasn't anything you couldn't see if she had a bikini top on so it wasn't sleazy.

must be a recessive gene thing.
edit on 31410531231am2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm glad this appears to be an open minded group and this topic is taken seriously. Recent events have caused me to question what these extra nipples could possibly mean. I have an extra set underneath my breasts. Thankfully they did not lactate when I had my daughter but was told that could be possible. They do get tender before menstration however. Here is where it's getting a little mind boggling for me. Ever since I was a little girl I have had this strange connection to large dogs. Almost as if I could read their mind. I am exceptionally in tune to their pain and suffering and have almost made it my life mission to rescue abused dogs. Especially German shepherds. In backing up a little, I was adopted at birth and raised in a very religious environment. I was taught that reincarnation does not exist so I have never harboured the thought. I recently moved across country to be with a friend I have known for 25 years. She also knows of my extra nipples. She is also a firm believer in reincarnation and in watching and hearing of some of these stories of children who can vividly recount past lives of other people my mind has slightly been opened. Last night it was blown wide open. I had just got done saying a prayer. Immediately prior to this I had just got done watching a video of a four year old little boy recounting his past life as a black woman. Then, out my window, I heard the most horrific screams coming from a large dog. I knew this animal was in agonizing pain and I also knew, without knowing, that it was at the hands of somebody evil. I immediately started to shake and scream and cry and then I heard a gunshot. The only relief I had was that I knew the animal was no longer suffering. I've always felt myself a little odd for somehow knowing these things. Last night however brought me to the thought and ultimately realization that possibly in a past life I was a large dog and I suffered. When I was able to talk to my friend she calmly looked at me and said she has always thought that about me and then she brought up my extra set of nipples. The question I'm posing to you as a group is those of you that have these extra nipples, are you animal lovers? Are you particularly sensitive to animals? What are your thoughts on this? And just an FYI, I don't howl at the moon.

new topics

top topics

join